Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Alena Leonova finished?

It was very interesting to watch her at worlds....I loved her past Pirates of the Carb. program. I dont personally care about flutzing...she sold that performance. But it is a sport after all and one has to do the jumps. Is she in a slump? Yes. Many wrote off AC and she came back and won the GP final that year. I watched Gracie skate at Worlds in the Free Program and I will be darned if she didnt hold onto the lead for many skaters and gave us three spots at the Olys. Sometimes, the sport seems to be not entirely what you do as a skater but what other do or dont do... I dont know if Alena is a diva or not, but I wish her the best next season.
    Miki Ando, please come home....we miss you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I like her. She gives it her all, has an engaging personality, and is fun to watch.

And by the way, it is not an insult to be compared to Miki Ando, two-time world champion!

Custom Title
    Yeah tuktamisheva has no medal at GPfs because of extreme bombing of short programs- just like what happened at worlds!! Her worst problem is the basic existence of the short program in skating competions!! May cost her a trip to Sochi!

Custom Title
    leonova has her work cut out for her but who knows with the inconsistent young russians she may still have a chance at least to go to worlds if one of the ladies sneaks on the podium or something. She had a horrific year but Czisny and Kostner have had bad years too and they were given a reprieve. I agree though their skating federations held them up or there wasn't much competition in thier country ie. italy. Sad we will never see makarova probably and maybe Leonova. but give her a year before the coffin is permanently closed. You can't even say Leonova is a Fumie Suguri (what happeened to her???)

Banned
    You cant compare Leonova to Makarova. Makarova is a career journeywomen, she wasnt even a top junior skater, who had no hope of staying in the mix once the Russian women came. Leonova has been 2nd and 4th at Worlds, medaled at the GP final, won Junior Worlds, so she has proven herself to the Russian fed. countless times. It was predicted she too could be in real tough once the younger talents became age eligible, and with her horrible season that makes things all the tougher, but the thing is these young skaters while good are not yet as great as people thought they would be at this point. So while someone like Makarova is done, dead, and buried, Leonova potentially is still in the fight, but she has to get her act together and now, and hope the young Russians dont start getting theirs together alot better than this year.

Banned
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gFZCXJBQHk

Lol, fast forward to 5:17. Her reaction to that program is so overblown and absurd...one can't help but completely crack up and think she must be kidding. Ok, so she didn't land on her butt but staying upright for a program isn't the same thing as actually skating a great program. She looks like the Terminator running through the motions on her way to obliterating something instead of actually interpreting the music. The choreography is nonexistent and her skating is flat out boring. Let's call a spade a spade.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Yeah tuktamisheva has no medal at GPfs because of extreme bombing of short programs- just like what happened at worlds!! Her worst problem is the basic existence of the short program in skating competions!! May cost her a trip to Sochi!
    in a recent interview Tuk said she always tense in short programs because she thinks alot of it , she has a history of bombing sp's since she was a junior, she is comfortable in the FS as she feels more free and liberated

IMO, as I wrote about Gashinski in another thread: Skaters, as all of us, can have problems that we don't talk loud about. Problems that are more or less out of our control and make us behave/perform worse than we usually do. Go both

Custom Title
    Yes, she did (finished).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    in a recent interview Tuk said she always tense in short programs because she thinks alot of it , she has a history of bombing sp's since she was a junior, she is comfortable in the FS as she feels more free and liberated
    This is why I brought up sports psychologist - it's like she needs help in getting a helpful mental state before an sp! What if euros 2014 she bombs so bad that she doesn't make the free or if at Russian nationals she can't medal because of bombing?? Yes she can have a great fs but what if here is no chance at a fs?

Custom Title
    I can't wait for this off-season to end

Custom Title
    Liza Tuktamysheva isn't the only skater who botches SPs. Gracie Gold and Angela Wang are also known for their SP mishaps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Liza Tuktamysheva isn't the only skater who botches SPs. Gracie Gold and Angela Wang are also known for their SP mishaps.
    True, but she is the only one of those whose SP mishaps could cost her a spot on the Olympic team, and so could be a fatal and career altering problem if she doesnt fix it soon. She is in a country with only 2 spots and 3 very strong skaters bidding for them. Gold is in a country with 3 spots and only 2 very strong skaters (both ensured of spots barring a broken limb). Wang would need a miracle to make the Olympic team so can just focus on improving her short programs and other weaknesses with all the time in the World to do so.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    True, but she is the only one of those whose SP mishaps could cost her a spot on the Olympic team, and so could be a fatal and career altering problem if she doesnt fix it soon. She is in a country with only 2 spots and 3 very strong skaters bidding for them. Gold is in a country with 3 spots and only 2 very strong skaters (both ensured of spots barring a broken limb). Wang would need a miracle to make the Olympic team so can just focus on improving her short programs and other weaknesses with all the time in the World to do so.
    Who's the third "very strong" skater in Russia? Tukt, Sotnikova, and...?

If you mean Leonova, then no. I think that, after this season, her chances of making the Olympic team are about nil and zero.

~high art~
    Julia Lipnitskaia is eligible for the Olys, I believe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Who's the third "very strong" skater in Russia? Tukt, Sotnikova, and...?

If you mean Leonova, then no. I think that, after this season, her chances of making the Olympic team are about nil and zero.
    I was referring to Julia Lipnitskaya, who actually has posted better results for the most part the last 2 seasons than both Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast