Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Do you think figure skating is a campy sport?

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Camp can be intentional, and often is. The proto-example of camp is the drag show. And drag queens certainly aren't trying to pass themselves off as real women, or pretend what they're doing is high art. The campiness is entirely deliberate. Ryan Bradley's Mozart medley is firmly in that... camp. Péchalat and Bourzat's can-can program from the past season is also deliberate camp, like the dance tradition it hails from. Deliberate camp is probably easier for audiences to get into. The performers knows what they're doing is silly and over the top, and lets the audience know that they know. This way, everybody can just throw off their inhibitions, entirely bypass the need to suspend disbelief, and just have fun!

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Who knew that a thread about campiness could become so didactic?

A bit of comic relief (I hope):
    Liza Minnelli just said randomly on the Today show that she once wanted to be a figure skater.
    The mind boggles at what might have been.
    (Her comment had nothing to do with the performance by Fernandez, which was scheduled for later the same morning.)

Custom Title
    Now, there's a thought!

Though Liza actually was a very good stage dancer, and of course her mother, Judy Garland, was a wonderful dancer. Judy famously could learn any steps very quickly. And remember, she danced with Gene Kelly in a few films and Fred Astaire in one. (Trivia point: Judy is one of only about six stars who co-starred with both Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. Others include Cyd Charisse, Leslie Caron, Vera-Ellen, Ann Miller, and Debbie Reynolds.)

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    LOL, pls don't get me wrong. I think Minnelli would have been great at mastering complex choreography and any matters of technique at all. Was not suggesting that she would have been the least bit deficient as a skater.

In the context of this thread, my mind was boggling at the thought of the theatricality that she would have brought to the ice (or so I am imagining). She is an Entertainer with a capital E.

[So as not to inadvertently incite another dissertation on camp/campy/campiness from anyone: I am NOT saying that theatricality automatically equals campiness. I simply am making a lighthearted [perish the thought ] comment. I happen to disagree with many of the opinions expressed in this thread, but they are nothing more than opinions and everyone is entitled to his/hers.)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6