Thread: Miki Ando

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Miki Ando

Does anyone have any current info on Miki? I for one would love to see her comeback and try to compete for a spot on the Sochi team along with Mao, Kanako, and Akiko.

Custom Title
    I thought I read on this board a few months ago that she didn't have a coach! It's almost as if her federaton gave up on her or something.

Custom Title
    Oh no. I hope that is not the case. Miki is way too talented for her federation to give up on her. Plus she's a two time WC!

Banned
    She probably shouldn't bother to return as it's crazy unlikely that she will medal at the Olympics. I think going out on a high note is superior to rolling around way past your expiration date. It's great that she stayed in after the Vancouver Olympics and won that world title in Moscow but to be honest she only won bc Kim Yuna was really sloppy. That's not to say that Miki Ando doesn't have her virtues. But she rarely managed to listen to her music and always seemed to be skating over it as opposed to with it. Her jumps were her strength. But I generally never found the rest of her programs inspiring or exhilarating.

Banned
    She wont be back. What would her incentives to be back be. Her chances to medal in Sochi would be close to nil at this point. Asada has firmly staked claim to being Japanese #1 again, and Miki coming back would definitely not change that. Yet even Mao herself is only slated for the bronze in Sochi. She is 26 years old (old for amateur singles) and hasnt even skated competitively for 3 years, so reaching her 2011 Worlds level, which she would need to be top 5, is even unlikely. Add to all that her personal problems, her problems finding a coach about a year ago, and no way you will see her back.

I also have read reports that the JSF say Miki would have to win Nationals next year to make it to Sochi. That makes sense as the JSF decides their Olympic teams by results of the past couple seasons, especialy the Olympic season, and not just Nationals. Miki isnt even eligible for a grand prix, except a host pick, and obviously has done nothing competitive for 2 years now. Miki isnt winning Nationals, as I said Mao is clearly back at Japanese #1, and that is what she would need to go to to Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I also have read reports that the JSF say Miki would have to win Nationals next year to make it to Sochi. That makes sense as the JSF decides their Olympic teams by results of the past couple seasons, especialy the Olympic season, and not just Nationals. Miki isnt even eligible for a grand prix, except a host pick, and obviously has done nothing competitive for 2 years now. Miki isnt winning Nationals, as I said Mao is clearly back at Japanese #1, and that is what she would need to go to to Sochi.
    Is it some kind of an official statement? That unless Miki wins nationals she won't go to Vancouver?

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    She wont be back. What would her incentives to be back be. Her chances to medal in Sochi would be close to nil at this point. Asada has firmly staked claim to being Japanese #1 again, and Miki coming back would definitely not change that. Yet even Mao herself is only slated for the bronze in Sochi. She is 26 years old (old for amateur singles) and hasnt even skated competitively for 3 years, so reaching her 2011 Worlds level, which she would need to be top 5, is even unlikely. Add to all that her personal problems, her problems finding a coach about a year ago, and no way you will see her back.

Why is Mao only slated for bronze. Her free skate was silver medal at worlds and if she skates her short the way she did in 4cc how will carolina beat her. I dont undarstand those bold predictions a year before the even?
    Hey I dont know what will happened but you dont either

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    She probably shouldn't bother to return as it's crazy unlikely that she will medal at the Olympics. I think going out on a high note is superior to rolling around way past your expiration date. It's great that she stayed in after the Vancouver Olympics and won that world title in Moscow
    Exactly. It was the perfect note for her to end her career on. I said that even at the time, but it is only 10 times more apparent now.

Couldn't she qualify for the team event? That might give her a chance at some Olympic medal.

~high art~
    Poor Miki. Lmao.

She should give it up tho. She was overscored and lucky to win 2011 Worlds when Yuna was not in her top form.