Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Miki Ando

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Mao's fans have selective memory. Right after the SP, people were surprised Mao got such a high score. She was lucky to be in the final group, quite frankly.
    There is no way she should beat Kostner when 2 programs are combined. Even if Kostner's was called for the UR in the SP, Mao should have been called on 3 other jumps.
    If the caller was any stricter, maybe Ashley would have won bronze over Mao and Kanako.

The thing is, Kostner is a superior skater in all program components, and Kostner has true lutz, true flip, 3x3. Mao has an unstable 3A and an UR issue. As it stands, Mao is not capable of beating Kostner.
    If both improves, Kostner would still come out ahead.

Which is more likely?
    Kostner hitting 7 triples vs. Mao hitting 8 triples? I give the former 10% chance and the latter 1% chance. If you were a betting man, you would bet Kostner for silver.
    Kostner's program is transitionless, Asada has a lot of them. Kostner has very easy choreography, Asada much more complex. Inrterpretation is very subjective but Asada's final footwork and choreographed sequence as well as the slow section perfectly interpret Swan Lake. Kostner stops to move her arms, torso and head in one spot on the ice. Asada performs her choreography while skating (spread eagles, balletic turns at the end). Kostner is superior ONLY in SS department but Asada isn't really weak in that area too. Asada's planned content is much more difficult than Kostner's. Had Kostner been rightfully called for under-rotation in SP Asada would've won silver. Asada's 3A's WERE fully rotated, get over it. Her 3F in SP was less underrotated than Kostner's second 3T. There is youtube with HD slow-motions where you can easily scrutinise the jumps. I'm not going to bother and provide such a biased ignorant with the links though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    And only disrespectful people will insult someone just because I dont agree with you I am child that does not know how to add. And stop with your exagerations Carolina supirior in every component. Not interested in discussing with you. You make exagerations with no data to back them up
    Because you can't add and made the same argument over and over when I gave explicit data to show how 2 mistakes != 2 mistakes. chuckm also gave the components score where Carolina is superior in every component.
    That's not enough data for you?
    Anyway, it's futile to argue with kids. I'm done with you.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartek View Post
    Kostner's program is transitionless, Asada has a lot of them. Kostner has very easy choreography, Asada much more complex. Inrterpretation is very subjective but Asada's final footwork and choreographed sequence as well as the slow section perfectly interpret Swan Lake. Kostner stops to move her arms, torso and head in one spot on the ice. Asada performs her choreography while skating (spread eagles, balletic turns at the end). Kostner is superior ONLY in SS department but Asada isn't really weak in that area too. Asada's planned content is much more difficult than Kostner's.
    Yeah, except she beat Mao in every single component. And has beaten Mao in every single component for the past 3 years. Imagine if she adds more transitions, she would blow Mao out of the water. Rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    There was no Italian judge on either panel.

SP: RSA TUR FIN GER GEO BUL ESP JPN EST
    FS: BUL EST DEN ESP GER RSA GBR SUI GEO

Except Mao didn't hit 7 triples:
    3a-df, 3f-df<, 3ze, 3lo+2lo, 2a+3t, 3s, 3f+2lo<+2lo

She landed SIX triples, and only 3 received +GOE.

Kostner landed five triples, but all received +GOE

The only skaters to land 7 triples were Gracie Gold and Zijun Li.
    No italian judge, but most of the panel consisted of European judges and who do think they favor?

The grade of execution can always be discussed, fact is that she landed 7 triples, whether you like it or not!

~high art~
    Poor Miki. Lmao.

She should give it up tho. She was overscored and lucky to win 2011 Worlds when Yuna was not in her top form.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    No italian judge, but most of the panel consisted of European judges and who do think they favor?

The grade of execution can always be discussed, fact is that she landed 7 triples, whether you like it or not!
    I guess according to you every skater not named Mao is overscored and Mao has never been overscored in her life. You even dispute that her NHK win this season was anything controversial. So if Kostner is such a pet of the European judges how come she didnt win a European title until Slutskaya retired, has even lost Europeans to run of the mill skaters like Lepisto and Meier, didnt medal at the rather poor 2010 Worlds even with a very good skate, and has only been given 1 World title by those so called predominantly pro European panels.

Also when someone stumbles and trips out of jumps and gets mostly -2s in GOE for how it was completed that isnt typically landing all those triples. I mean technically a skater could fall on 7 triples and you could say they landed 7 triples by that logic, after all they landed them on their rear ends, but they were still rotated and landed then right.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Because you can't add and made the same argument over and over when I gave explicit data to show how 2 mistakes != 2 mistakes. chuckm also gave the components score where Carolina is superior in every component.
    That's not enough data for you?
    Anyway, it's futile to argue with kids. I'm done with you.
    Wow calling me a kid!! Good argument

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I guess according to you every skater not named Mao is overscored and Mao has never been overscored in her life. You even dispute that her NHK win this season was anything controversial. So if Kostner is such a pet of the European judges how come she didnt win a European title until Slutskaya retired, has even lost Europeans to run of the mill skaters like Lepisto and Meier, didnt medal at the rather poor 2010 Worlds even with a very good skate, and has only been given 1 World title by those so called predominantly pro European panels.

Also when someone stumbles and trips out of jumps and gets mostly -2s in GOE for how it was completed that isnt typically landing all those triples. I mean technically a skater could fall on 7 triples and you could say they landed 7 triples by that logic, after all they landed them on their rear ends, but they were still rotated and landed then right.
    keep to the topic would you, I wouldn't mind discussing worlds 2010 or slutskaya if those were the issues here, but they aren't so I will refrain from doing that now.

and as far as i remember I never said stated that every skater was/is overscored, don't try to put words in my mouth, that I never said

as for your example it really doesn't make sense. you clearly seem to have missed the point that was made earlier.

The OP of this thread asked to keep the topic. Lets respect that. It is sad that some posters cant have a discussion without calling other posters names. sad

skating philosopher
    Back on the topic, done or not, I like Miki and I appreciate her skating. Miki may have not been the most artistic skater, but I feel she has a career that many would be proud of. Two world championship titles (and I don't feel title two should be * because Yuna wasn't at her best or whatever), a world bronze, a 4CC gold and abronze and several GP medals, including a silver the GPF. In addition she's managed top 6 finishes in all six of her World Championship appearances (including top 4 placements at five of them).

She contributed to helping Japan keep three spots for several years (the exception being 2006 when she didn't compete and 2008 when she WD) and that counts for something too.

Custom Title
    I loved miki and always thought she was very underrated aside from the jumps which were explosive, her skating skills were lovely and when I saw her live at worlds in 09 I thought that she was actually quite artistic it was just a kind of introverted artistry which didnt come accross until I saw her live and of course that 4s but as much as I would love to see her come back I really dont see it happening..

Custom Title
    From an article published after Worlds:

The feeling here is that Ando is fairly confident she is still one of the top five skaters in the world, and would relish a chance to go after that elusive Olympic medal she does not own.
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2.../#.UV81R78TvJw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    From an article published after Worlds:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2.../#.UV81R78TvJw
    even the article isn't confident about Akiko, she was more of the back up skater
    once Miki returns, Akiko can pack her bags, Miki will get that 3rd spot

Banned
    2The article is one writers opinion, and writers logic is that Ando would be more positive about her chances after seeing Worlds this year simply because she beat Kim to win Worlds 2 years ago and Kim ended up dominating. This however is incredibly flawed considering:

1. Kim skated about 55% as well at Worlds 2 years ago in losing to Ando as she did at Worlds this year. That might even be generous. Furthermore Ando even at her peak of many years ago (probably 2006-2007) was never capable of skating at the level or even has skated at the level Kim showed in London.
    2. How is seeing an event that shows the ladies level of skating has risen way back up after the post Olympic low it was at in 2011, something that would further encourage Ando to come back. If anything it would do the reverse.

As for talk about Miki getting the "3rd spot" it seems some people still need to be reminded as many of us in this thread already have done, that JSF themselves have said Miki has to WIN Nationals to make the Games. There is no 3rd spot option for her, due to their qualification format for the Games which is consistent with the one they have used the last few Olympiads, and gave Miki her own spot on the last 2 Olympic teams. She either comes back with a huge boom and wins Nationals, recemeting herself as Japanese #1 over Mao, or she doesnt go to the Games at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    As for talk about Miki getting the "3rd spot" it seems some people still need to be reminded as many of us in this thread already have done, that JSF themselves have said Miki has to WIN Nationals to make the Games. There is no 3rd spot option for her, due to their qualification format for the Games which is consistent with the one they have used the last few Olympiads, and gave Miki her own spot on the last 2 Olympic teams. She either comes back with a huge boom and wins Nationals, recemeting herself as Japanese #1 over Mao, or she doesnt go to the Games at all.
    I know she doesnt have that GP seeds but if she did a couple of B/s, Japanese Fed could have her as the host pick
    and I dont buy Ano needs to win Nationals if she shows in Great form early on from this coming Season she will have a chance
    Akiko as at the near end of her shelf probably next year she will burnt out ala Leonova.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast