Miki Ando | Golden Skate

Miki Ando

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
Does anyone have any current info on Miki? I for one would love to see her comeback and try to compete for a spot on the Sochi team along with Mao, Kanako, and Akiko.

noskates

Record Breaker
I thought I read on this board a few months ago that she didn't have a coach! It's almost as if her federaton gave up on her or something.

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
Oh no. I hope that is not the case. Miki is way too talented for her federation to give up on her. Plus she's a two time WC!

bump

Match Penalty
She probably shouldn't bother to return as it's crazy unlikely that she will medal at the Olympics. I think going out on a high note is superior to rolling around way past your expiration date. It's great that she stayed in after the Vancouver Olympics and won that world title in Moscow but to be honest she only won bc Kim Yuna was really sloppy. That's not to say that Miki Ando doesn't have her virtues. But she rarely managed to listen to her music and always seemed to be skating over it as opposed to with it. Her jumps were her strength. But I generally never found the rest of her programs inspiring or exhilarating.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She wont be back. What would her incentives to be back be. Her chances to medal in Sochi would be close to nil at this point. Asada has firmly staked claim to being Japanese #1 again, and Miki coming back would definitely not change that. Yet even Mao herself is only slated for the bronze in Sochi. She is 26 years old (old for amateur singles) and hasnt even skated competitively for 3 years, so reaching her 2011 Worlds level, which she would need to be top 5, is even unlikely. Add to all that her personal problems, her problems finding a coach about a year ago, and no way you will see her back.

I also have read reports that the JSF say Miki would have to win Nationals next year to make it to Sochi. That makes sense as the JSF decides their Olympic teams by results of the past couple seasons, especialy the Olympic season, and not just Nationals. Miki isnt even eligible for a grand prix, except a host pick, and obviously has done nothing competitive for 2 years now. Miki isnt winning Nationals, as I said Mao is clearly back at Japanese #1, and that is what she would need to go to to Sochi.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She probably shouldn't bother to return as it's crazy unlikely that she will medal at the Olympics. I think going out on a high note is superior to rolling around way past your expiration date. It's great that she stayed in after the Vancouver Olympics and won that world title in Moscow

Exactly. It was the perfect note for her to end her career on. I said that even at the time, but it is only 10 times more apparent now.

Krislite

Medalist
Couldn't she qualify for the team event? That might give her a chance at some Olympic medal.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Couldn't she qualify for the team event? That might give her a chance at some Olympic medal.

The short answer is No -- meaning that the Sochi team event rules do not offer the option of qualifying only for the team event (except under the circumstances explained below, which do not pertain to Ando and Team Japan).

For the umpteenth time [although the first time in this thread ;)] ...

For any given discipline, if a country has skater(s) who qualified to compete in the Olympic event for the individual discipline, only the same skater(s) is/are eligible to compete in the team event.

Because Japan of course will have ladies who qualify for the individual Sochi competition, no one other than those ladies is eligible to compete for Japan as a lady in the team event.

It is hypothetically possible that a weaker skating federation from Country X would have zero ladies who qualify for the individual Sochi competition. If Country X qualifies for the Sochi team event, then based on the "Additional Athletes" provision of the Sochi team event rules, Country X then could have Lady Y compete only in the the team event.
But again, it is unthinkable that this scenario would ever apply to Japan in terms of ladies. (But maybe it will apply to Japan in terms of pairs???)

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mao and yuna success means nothing to miki. Miki beat Mao and Yuna in 2007 and beat them again in 2011. She had all the triples and was brilliantly amazingly consistent in free skates in 2010-2011 never losing one. If she came back she May lose to Mao and Yuna like she did in 2008 or 2010 or she beats them!! She's a great tremendous talent in women's skating history.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Miki still has a better chance of going to the Olympics than Akiko Suzuki

Not if she has to win Japanese Nationals to qualify she doesnt. Also not when we know Suzuki is actually going for the Games, while Ando is only 20% likely to even attempt to.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I also have read reports that the JSF say Miki would have to win Nationals next year to make it to Sochi. That makes sense as the JSF decides their Olympic teams by results of the past couple seasons, especialy the Olympic season, and not just Nationals. Miki isnt even eligible for a grand prix, except a host pick, and obviously has done nothing competitive for 2 years now. Miki isnt winning Nationals, as I said Mao is clearly back at Japanese #1, and that is what she would need to go to to Sochi.

Is it some kind of an official statement? That unless Miki wins nationals she won't go to Vancouver? :unsure:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Not if she has to win Japanese Nationals to qualify she doesnt. Also not when we know Suzuki is actually going for the Games, while Ando is only 20% likely to even attempt to.

the season hasnt even started yet and we are declaring her as unmotivated ? if Miki can find a coach even Morozov if he takes her
then she ha sthat can for the last spot, Akiko is more like the reserve

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ando's last competition after Worlds 2011 was the 2011 Japan Open, where she finished 6th. She was supposed to return for the 2012-2013 GP, but dropped out of both events. There is no way to know what kind of competitive shape she is in now, and we won't get a hint since she won't be in the GP this coming fall. JSF has said she can't be on the Japanese team unless she competes in regionals and she won't go to Sochi unless she WINS Nationals 2014.

Seems as if the JSF is miffed because they submitted her for the 2012-2013 GP and she reneged.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
the season hasnt even started yet and we are declaring her as unmotivated ? if Miki can find a coach even Morozov if he takes her
then she ha sthat can for the last spot, Akiko is more like the reserve

You seem to have deaf ears but I and others have already mentioned that the JSF have already stated Miki would need to WIN Nationals just to make the Olympic Team. Miki is not likely on any planet to win Nationals next year, whether she is motivated or not. I guess it wouldnt be totally impossible, but there is no denying that right now at this moment Asada is atleast 95% likely the winner of next years Nationals. So Miki's chances to reach the Games are already almost none even if she returned and was skating very well (which most would concur isnt even likely either). Of course Suzuki only needing to be top 3 or 4 at Nationals which she has been every year for awhile is more likely to make the team than a semi retired Ando needing to return at 26 after 3 years off, and win Nationals over someone she has beaten at Nationals only once since 2005 to begin with, ROTFL!!

minze

Medalist
She wont be back. What would her incentives to be back be. Her chances to medal in Sochi would be close to nil at this point. Asada has firmly staked claim to being Japanese #1 again, and Miki coming back would definitely not change that. Yet even Mao herself is only slated for the bronze in Sochi. She is 26 years old (old for amateur singles) and hasnt even skated competitively for 3 years, so reaching her 2011 Worlds level, which she would need to be top 5, is even unlikely. Add to all that her personal problems, her problems finding a coach about a year ago, and no way you will see her back.

Why is Mao only slated for bronze. Her free skate was silver medal at worlds and if she skates her short the way she did in 4cc how will carolina beat her. I dont undarstand those bold predictions a year before the even?
Hey I dont know what will happened but you dont either

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why is Mao only slated for bronze. Her free skate was silver medal at worlds and if she skates her short the way she did in 4cc how will carolina beat her. I dont undarstand those bold predictions a year before the even?
Hey I dont know what will happened but you dont either

I didnt say she couldnt win silver or even gold. I said as things stand now she is slated (aka most likely outcome) to win bronze. Is there any reason to claim she would be favored to beat Kim or Kostner right now. It doesnt mean she doesnt have the ability and things couldnt change, just that as things stand now she is slated most likely to finish 3rd. Yet she is the clear Japanese #1 and certain to remain so barring something drastic. You choose to read more into my statement than there was, and be upset over a comment that is perfectly logical.

minze

Medalist
I didnt say she couldnt win silver or even gold. I said as things stand now she is slated (aka most likely outcome) to win bronze. Is there any reason to claim she would be favored to beat Kim or Kostner right now. It doesnt mean she doesnt have the ability and things couldnt change, just that as things stand now she is slated most likely to finish 3rd. Yet she is the clear Japanese #1 and certain to remain so barring something drastic. You choose to read more into my statement than there was, and be upset over a comment that is perfectly logical.

You have been saying this a lot in your post. This is the thing (And know we cant combine different competitions) But take her short program from the 4cc and long from worlds and you have Mao easily beathing Kostner. I did not bring kim into it. Mao demostrated this season that she can scored over 200, like she did at the 4cc even if her jumps are not 100 percent. So, Carolina and Mao have the same chance for silver

By the way I am not upset, just think you are understimating Mao

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Miki I think is the only skater who can break into the expected top 3 Sochi finishers, on the strength of her reputation. If Miki skates well, Mao and Carolina would also have to skate well to beat her. I don't think Miki will have enough competitions to adequately prepare to bring her best at the Olympics, but she is one of the few skaters who has demonstrated the ability to beat the best.