Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Possible alternative nationalities in singles skating

Custom Title
    One skater I can think of from ages ago who did very well skating for another country was Dianne de Leeuw. She was born and grew up in the U.S., but her mother is Dutch and her father has dual citizenship, so she skated for the Netherlands. In 1975, I believe, she was World Champion, and she was a strong contender for the 1976 OGM. She won silver behind Dorothy Hamill. Skating for the Netherlands, she was able to take part in the European Championships, and one year she won that. According to Wiki, she now coaches in California. Clearly it was smart of Dianne to skate for something other than the U.S. at that time, in such a crowded field, and she had the opportunity of representing a country in which the last major skater was I think Sjoukje Dijkstra, who won the Olympics in 1964. In other words, the Netherlands was just enough of a skating power to give a boost to a good skater, but not enough of a power to have a crowded field.

And then of course there's Misha Ge. I had to look him up because he's a walking, talking United Nations: part Russian, part Chinese, part Korean, lived all over the place including the U.S. This is a guy who should consider skating for Korea, not Russia

Tripping on the Podium Narumi1997's Avatar
    I think that Ashley Cain should represent Australia, as her father represented Australia in pairs back in the 70's. With the US field so deep, she would benefit

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Narumi1997 View Post
    I think that Ashley Cain should represent Australia, as her father represented Australia in pairs back in the 70's. With the US field so deep, she would benefit
    Agree! That would be really good for her.

Custom Title
    Agnes Zawadzki was BORN IN POLAND!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    Agree! That would be really good for her.
    It would be good for Australia, too.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I know it's rather old fashioned of me to say this, but perhaps these people consider themselves to be American... or Russian... or whatever...

And they want to represent THEIR country internationally.

Custom Title
    How does changing nationality impact funding support and/or sponsorship potential? If significant, it may dissuade some from leaving a well-off country/nationality.

Custom Title
    Is Pogorilaya a Russian last name? It sounds sort of exotic, and despite her blonde hair I was noticing Anna does have a darker skin complexion compared to most of her Russian teammates. I wonder if her father is Armenian...Pogosyan is a common Armenian surname and sounds rather similar.

Medalist
    what's the case for Elizaveta Tursynbaeva's funding/training? She's Kazakh and I've read on here and other places that she does plan to represent Kazakhstan on the JGP/internationally next season. This season she's competed at Russian junior nationals and at the domestic Russia Cup events. Will her funding/training change next season?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Agnes Zawadzki was BORN IN POLAND!
    Wait. Wasn't she born in Chicago?

Ashley Wagner, on the other hand was born in Germany.

Custom Title
    Agnes was born in Poland.

^ That must be the most closely guarded secret since President Obama was born in Timbuktu. She fooled Wikipedia, the ISU, and Ice Network.

Link?

Tripping on the Podium Narumi1997's Avatar
    Wikipedia says Agnes was born in Niles, IL and is of Polish descent

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And then of course there's Misha Ge. I had to look him up because he's a walking, talking United Nations: part Russian, part Chinese, part Korean, lived all over the place including the U.S. This is a guy who should consider skating for Korea, not Russia
    Ge skates for Uzbekistan, not for Russia.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    what's the case for Elizaveta Tursynbaeva's funding/training? She's Kazakh and I've read on here and other places that she does plan to represent Kazakhstan on the JGP/internationally next season. This season she's competed at Russian junior nationals and at the domestic Russia Cup events. Will her funding/training change next season?
    Tursynbaeva was born in Russia but probably when she competed in JGP for Kazakhstan, she will still train in Russia but the fees will be paid by the Kazakh Fed.

also others who could consider switching countries

Samantha Cesario - Italy once Kostner retires
    Ashley Cain - Australia

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast