Possible alternative nationalities in singles skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Possible alternative nationalities in singles skating

gmyers

Record Breaker
If Russia is totally insane and crazy they would release kvitelashvili! All these people have sikharulidze to be a mentor.

hanca

Record Breaker
Georgia could potentially hit a jackpot here
Moris Kvitelashvili who won Senior Cup of Russia 4th series landing 2 quads in LP

http://fsrussia.ru/upl/results/1314/4etap/SEG008.HTM

question is will Russia release him if he decides to skate for Georgia
Georgia could be decent next quad if these skaters represent

Ladies: Nikol Gosviani
Men: Moris Kvitelashvili
Pairs: Nodari Maisuradze and partner

The problem is that all those competitors are currently competing internationally so they would have to sit out a year! Besides, all of them are doing reasonably well so they have no reason to change at this point.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since this discussion has started creeping into other threads, I thought I would try and bring it back into the dedicated thread.

For example, silverlake22 brought up in the Ukrainian Ladies thread about Pogorilaya being a Ukrainian name, and that, given the depth of field in Russia, the Ukraine might be a good move for her.

Similarly, myself and many others have (in many threads!) been encouraging Nikol Gosviani to switch to Georgia as, once Elene Gedevanishvili retires, there isn’t really anybody to replace her.

Although it is not to do with singles skaters, I also want to highlight an example that golden411 pointed out in response to a comment I made. (By the way, with how much the conversation had moved on by the time I came back to that thread, I never got the chance to say thank you to golden411 for the kind words. Also you were right in realising that I was playing devil’s advocate with my comment about Nagasu, and thank you for pointing it out to the other members).

Andrew Poje is of Slovakian descent.

Now, this was a big surprise to me, as from the way his surname is pronounced (well, the way it is pronounced by the commentators I listen to, anyway!), I always thought that he was either Quebecois or just of French descent.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the results of Three Nationals, and found that there has been only 1 entry in the Slovakian Ice Dance Championships each year since 2010! :eek:

Given how well they have been doing in Canadian Championships during this time frame, it would be stupid to suggest that Weaver and Poje should have used Andrew’s background to switch to skating for Slovakia. But, if they had not been this successful…

==================================================

When I started this thread, I was just trying to look for ways that skaters could use their family background to their advantage. But, in the past few months, we have seen that switching countries can also have disadvantages.

I am of course talking about the situation that arose in Australia, where Chantelle Kerry’s camp claimed that Brooklee Han wasn’t eligible to represent Australia at the Olympics.

Admittedly, the Kerry camp used other things as excuses to take it to the Court of Arbitration. But, you got the distinct impression that what it all boiled down to was that Chantelle’s camp were annoyed that the Australian Federation was leaning towards picking to represent Australia somebody they considered to be a foreigner, rather than a “home-grown” Aussie.

Brooklee, of course, was born and reared in America, but has an Australian Dad. Chantelle, on the other hand, was born and reared in Australia.

When I started the Fan Fest thread for Ashley Cain, I hinted that I would love to see her switching to Australia (her Dad, of course, being Peter Cain, a former Pairs skater from Sydney).

The way I was thinking was that the arrival of Ashley into the mix would push Brooklee and Chantelle forwards. With three good skaters competing for the same international slot, all three girls would improve, and it would only be a good thing for Australian skating.

Now, though, I am having second thoughts as to whether this would be a good move. Ashley is in the same boat as Brooklee, in that she was born and reared in America. So, in theory, the same thing could happen to her sometime down the line.

But, it started me thinking. For the past few years, Ashley Wagner has without doubt been the top American Ladies skater. Similarly, Clara Peters is without doubt the top Irish Ladies skater. But, despite both sets of parents being from those countries, both these skaters were actually born in Germany. (Although, given her surname, I would bet an awful lot of money that Ashley has more than a little German or Austrian blood running through her… ;) )

Don’t worry, this is a totally different situation to what has been discussed so far in this thread. It was just a simple case that the families just happened to be in Germany at the time the girls were born.

But, in light of the case in Australia, it does start you wondering. Could somebody challenge these girls’ eligibility for representing their respective countries? I can’t see it happening in Ireland – like, who is there to challenge Clara? But, America is a different matter.

Hypothetically, could whoever finishes fourth in American Nationals next week put in a challenge for Ashley’s slots at Olympics and Worlds?

It’s a scary thought. :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Hypothetically, could whoever finishes fourth in American Nationals next week put in a challenge for Ashley’s slots at Olympics and Worlds?

It’s a scary thought. :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

lol - no, Ashley is safe! :laugh:
American soldiers stationed in other countries with their families have comprehensible special statutes with regards to having a child born there. Ashley was a 100% US citizen from the moment she was born. Actually, having both parents be US Citizens as is the case with Ashley is enough to be a 100% US Citizen from birth.

Since this seems to be the right place for it, here's a post of mine from a few days ago - I hope someone (from Russia?) can shed a light on how switching nationalities has changed in 20 years in this specific instance?

Does anyone know if anything has changed with regards to switching countries for Russian skaters in the last years?
It seems strange to me that more skaters aren't already committing to another country within former Soviet Union, since back then at least it didn't seem too difficult to obtain that new citizenship.

Julia Vorobieva, born and raised in Moscow, skated for Azerbaijan from 1993 to 2002, while still training and living in Moscow, without ever setting foot in Azerbaijan. At least, that's what the German Commentators said, I don't know if that's accurate.
Julia Soldatova was a promising junior (98'JWC, 2nd at 99'EC, 3rd at 99'WC) but she only decided to switch to Belarus in 2000, while still training and living in Moscow, once she was allowed to compete for Belarus, she was already past her prime. She sat out her prime.

Elena Sokolova was 7th at the 98'OG and 8th at the 98'WC, and then she had 5 years during which she didn't make it on the Russian Team despite being very constant at the same level. When she did finally make it, she was immediately at the international very top: 2nd at EC'03 and WC'03.
Julia Lebedeva, born and raised in Moscow, nowhere near Sokolova's level, made the call in 1999 to switch to Armenia, while still training and living in Moscow.
The difference between the 2: Lebedeva represented Armenia at the SLC OG (27th). Sokolova sat at home and saw her on tv... :no:

Of course I understand you want to represent your country. And to be a successful athlete, it helps to be convinced that "you're the best and you'll make it". Also, having Russia supporting you is another level than Armenia... But given the risk of having to sit out an entire season, or several seasons, or all your career, why aren't these slots being used?
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Moldova
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan

desertskates

Medalist
I mentioned this in another thread where it was slightly off topic, but the Agnes Zawadzki has Polish born parents, and therefore can gain citizenship. Apparently Poland tends to look the other way on dual citizenship, where a lot of the EU does not. She's only 19, and could gain the opportunity to compete internationally a bit more.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
So, with Polina S switching to Israel, and now Ksenia Makarova possibly switching to America, are there any other possible moves amongst the Russian Ladies skaters?

CaroLiza_fan

Is Ksenia still considering this? I thought she retired. She would have a lot of competition in the US too, although not as much as in Russia right now.

Jedi

On the Ice
I thought Ksenia was getting over injuries; I think she would find it tough in either country. Kind of sad isn't it she isn't even on the radar. She would have to get past Leonova and Liza before even having a shot at Julia or Adelina.

Jedi

On the Ice
The Tessa and Scott show mentioned something about Fedor dating someone = who is he dating right now? What is the relevance?

cassiem

On the Ice
I mentioned this in another thread where it was slightly off topic, but the Agnes Zawadzki has Polish born parents, and therefore can gain citizenship. Apparently Poland tends to look the other way on dual citizenship, where a lot of the EU does not. She's only 19, and could gain the opportunity to compete internationally a bit more.
But how old would she be when she'd finally get a release from U.S. Figure Skating? She's a two-time national bronze medalist, World Junior medalist, they could hold her for quite a while.

noidont

Final Flight
The Tessa and Scott show mentioned something about Fedor dating someone = who is he dating right now? What is the relevance?

Where did it mention that? Or is there a second episode I'm not aware of. But it was said that Fedor is dating Meryl.

SugarCranberry

Rinkside

I don’t understand why Agnes should switch to Poland. So far she has very good chances to make the US team. She is not held back by the judges for no obvious reason. When she skates cleanly the judges score her very well and place high.
Switching to Poland she will probably have a guaranteed trip to the Euros/Worlds but she is not going to place high being inconsistent as she is now. While skating consistently she has a chance to compete at the 4CC/WC/OG and place much higher competing for US than for Poland

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Is Ksenia still considering this? I thought she retired. She would have a lot of competition in the US too, although not as much as in Russia right now.

I read within the last 6 months that she became a US citizen. Maybe Johnny Weir tweeted about it and that's where I heard it (not 100% sure). If I'm remembering right, she lived and trained in the US anyway.

Frenchie

Medalist
I read within the last 6 months that she became a US citizen. Maybe Johnny Weir tweeted about it and that's where I heard it (not 100% sure). If I'm remembering right, she lived and trained in the US anyway.

She did, but in January 2011 she moved to St Petersburg to train with Evgeni Rukavitsin. I always thought that part of the reason for this move was that she didn't want to be seen as "less Russian" by the Russian Federation for living in the US...

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
She did, but in January 2011 she moved to St Petersburg to train with Evgeni Rukavitsin. I always thought that part of the reason for this move was that she didn't want to be seen as "less Russian" by the Russian Federation for living in the US...

Ah ok. Now I vaguely remember that. It makes total sense, especially with all of the other girls living in Russia. I'm guessing she moved back though if she changed citizenship?

Frenchie

Medalist
Ah ok. Now I vaguely remember that. It makes total sense, especially with all of the other girls living in Russia. I'm guessing she moved back though if she changed citizenship?

I think she got the US citizenship in addition to her Russian one, and as far as I know, she didn't "apply to switch the country she represents with the ISU". She had to sit out this season due to a hip injury and was operated in the US.
Even without that, it was obvious that it would have been almost impossible for her to become 1 of the 2 ladies sent to Sochi since she wasn't as reliable as the young guns and prone to URs. I do hope we get to see more from her in the future, I always loved watching her skate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvYDThM58U (I just love the music, choreo and how polished every move is. I love how stretched her positions are, especially in the combination spin)
Who knows, since Johnny Weir is a good friend of hers, maybe he can help get her a job as co-co-commentator in Sochi? Host of a segment called "Ksenia's World" maybe, giving the US viewers the insights by a Russian? ;)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think she got the US citizenship in addition to her Russian one, and as far as I know, she didn't "apply to switch the country she represents with the ISU". She had to sit out this season due to a hip injury and was operated in the US.
Even without that, it was obvious that it would have been almost impossible for her to become 1 of the 2 ladies sent to Sochi since she wasn't as reliable as the young guns and prone to URs. I do hope we get to see more from her in the future, I always loved watching her skate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvYDThM58U (I just love the music, choreo and how polished every move is. I love how stretched her positions are, especially in the combination spin)
Who knows, since Johnny Weir is a good friend of hers, maybe he can help get her a job as co-co-commentator in Sochi? Host of a segment called "Ksenia's World" maybe, giving the US viewers the insights by a Russian? ;)

First time i heard Ksenia talk i thought she was born in the US. She hardly had a Russian accent and sounded almost like the typical american girl.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
lol - no, Ashley is safe! :laugh:
American soldiers stationed in other countries with their families have comprehensible special statutes with regards to having a child born there. Ashley was a 100% US citizen from the moment she was born. Actually, having both parents be US Citizens as is the case with Ashley is enough to be a 100% US Citizen from birth.

Phew! That's a relief! At least we now know there will not be any funny challenges to Ashley's slot on those grounds then!

Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling that was the case with American military families, but I was not sure. So, I decided it was safer just to ask. After all, it is amazing what you can find out through this forum! ;) :biggrin:

Agnes Zawadski

I think how the American Championships went for her is the final confirmation that Agnes should do what I have been urging her to do since the very first post of this thread:

USE YOUR FAMILY CONNECTIONS AND SWITCH TO POLAND PRONTO!!!

Agnes Zawadzki is a perfect example of this. Now, most people would be able to work out from her surname that Agnes is of Polish descent. As it happens, she has more than just the one Polish grandparent that would entitle her to represent Poland.

I am just amazed that Agnes has not opted to switch to Poland, given how competitive it is to get into the American Ladies team. She would without doubt be guaranteed a place in the Polish team. After all, Poland has not entered anybody into international Ladies competitions since Anna Jurkiewicz in 2009.

When I was looking at my original post to get the quote for Agnes, I was amazed to find that ALL the examples I had used (as well as the one that I glossed over at the end, *cough* Mirai) were relevant to what has been happening the past few weeks!

It was obvious that Russian Ladies, American Ladies and Canadian Men were going to be the most competitive fights to get Olympic slots. But it is freaky that most of the individuals I highlighted are the ones that have only just missed out on a slot.

At the time, it was explained that it would take years for Guinea to get the funding and infrastructure required in place, by which time Elladj would probably be retired. So, that was not a realistic suggestion.

But are there realistic options for any of the other individuals that missed out?

(Although, it is also funny looking back and seeing how far off the mark I was with Nikol's possible options. :laugh: It made me realise just how much I have learned about names and culture in the former Soviet Union in the past 10 months, all thanks to this forum!)

First time i heard Ksenia talk i thought she was born in the US. She hardly had a Russian accent and sounded almost like the typical american girl.

You know, that is something that really winds me up - people that lose their accent as soon as they leave home. It happens all the time with people from Northern Ireland. The golfer Graeme McDowell is probably the best-known example.

Jenna McCorkell, on the other hand, hasn't lost her accent at all. And I for one love the fact that, after living with Jenna for so long, Kevin van der Perren now speaks English with a Northern Ireland accent!!!

Getting back to the Russians, and it makes me cringe every time I hear Maria Sharapova talking with an American accent. I don't know about anybody else, but I find certain Russian accents quite sexy. Especially when they are being used to speak English... (Hello, Liza... :love: )

CaroLiza_fan

scooter

Rinkside
She was raised here her entire life. Her parents teach out of Newburgh, NY.