Coaching & choreographer changes you would like to see | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Coaching & choreographer changes you would like to see

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You know, I&K love the theatricality.

I think I'd like to see them go to Martin Skotnicky in Oberstdorf for their choreo. Or to Ilia Averbukh, who did Zhiganshina & Gaszi's Two From the Grave FD this year.

ser22

On the Ice
I would like to see Hanyu, Miyamoto or Camerlengo SP or FS choreographer.

Not to Wilson.:eek:hwell:

doug_log

On the Ice
AMODIO. I would love to seem him skate a Lambiel or Nichol choreographed program to classical music. I think something along the lines of Four Seasons or Swan Lake (no techo remix, please) could be very special. I would love him to go to Frank Carroll, Lee Barkell, Mr. Nicks, Mr. Grutter, someone who will not allow him to wear suspenders or stop in the middle of the rink.

vera01

Final Flight
I really want I/K to change their coach to Zhulin, or at least, get a different choreographer. I'm not a huge fan of Morozov's choregraphy.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I would like Adelina Sotnikova to go with Shae-Lynn Bourne

:agree:

And Ward's choreo is so busy with so much upper body movement that I do NOT think that would be a good match for Gatchinski, who has already had enough arm flailing choreo for a lifetime. That is why I hope Jason goes to someone new, Dickson I think could do wonders for him, and he's going to be in CO Springs soon anyways. Liebestraume I found distracting because you have this skater with amazing flexibility and extension, and a soft, lyrical piece of music, but rather than showcase the lines and extensions there was all this unnecessary upper body movement going on the in the step sequences and transitions, and while I know that makes the programs more difficult, it made it seem like the spirals and :eek: spin positions were thrown in there to be like "look at me i'm gumby" a la Julia Lipnitskaya because there was too much else going on that served as distraction and prevented them from being held long enough and showcased enough to be enjoyed. I notice Dickson's programs are not usually unnecessarily busy which would be good for Brown because there is much to admire in his basic skating and all that upper body movement does nothing for me.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I really want I/K to change their coach to Zhulin, or at least, get a different choreographer. I'm not a huge fan of Morozov's choregraphy.

Don't know Zhulin seems to be very bitter still about them. They have left him twice already, IIRC. So not a good match maybe? They do need more challenging choreography to match their SS. But they seem a bit weak to me physically, I don't know how you fix that quickly.:scratch: Nikita in particular from Worlds 2011 through this year's competition, seems to struggle with his nerves almost always. I wish them well though.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Julia Lipntiskaya could do with a new choreographer - less extensions and arm waving may do her a lot of good as I've found her programs pretty repetitive. Not sure who though.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Julia Lipntiskaya could do with a new choreographer - less extensions and arm waving may do her a lot of good as I've found her programs pretty repetitive. Not sure who though.

Agree. Has she ever worked with TAT? (I'm thinking, if she doesn't want to leave Russia)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Personally, I'd like to see her work with Tom Dickson

Wasn't YuNa's Lark Ascending choreo'd by Tom Dickson?, which is probably my only favorite Free program of YuNa whole her senior career, btw. IIRC she commented back then that she did not like that program so much because it was physically demanding and too exhausting for her.

My vote goes to Tom Dickson for Daisuke Takahashi, please!!! :party:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Agree. Has she ever worked with TAT? (I'm thinking, if she doesn't want to leave Russia)

Mao already announced that TAT will be doing her Free next season. TAT will also do Adelina's choreo for sure, right? I don't think she will pick up another top felame single skater, other than these two for the Oympic season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mao already announced that TAT will be doing her Free next season.

Great choice. I don't know what TAT did to get Mao's head in the game come 2010 Vancouver enough to land three 3As, but it clearly worked. I'm hoping that it isn't something as serious and grandiose as Bells of Moscow, though Mao certainly could handle that music a lot better these days. Mao's getting great PCS now so it'd be nice to see her take a risk in her FS, similar to switching it up with her refreshing SP this year (that admittedly had to grow on me, but eventually I enjoyed it).

Cherryy

On the Ice
I want Patrick Chan to have a technical coach once again. He seems to be satisfied with his current training program, so I don't know how likely it is. He should realise these will be the Olympics he's been aiming for for the last 3/4 years so this would be a smart move.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I want Patrick Chan to have a technical coach once again. He seems to be satisfied with his current training program, so I don't know how likely it is. He should realise these will be the Olympics he's been aiming for for the last 3/4 years so this would be a smart move.

A technical coach would be good for him to clean up any minor issues, but he's clearly landing his quads with good consistency. His triple axel will always be an Achilles heel for him, and a jump coach would certainly be able to help in that regard. His sequence is also really difficult, especially at that point, but he hasn't had the same consistency this season. And to make mistakes on his lutzes periodically throughout the season is really weird for him so perhaps a jump coach might help with those too. It's weird to say it about a 3-time World champion but he really should look into getting more mentally prepared. His transitions into and out of jumps are progressively more and more difficult but I don't think it's screwing up his jumps too much so much as his focus is lost for a split second, particularly when he lands the big tricks and thinks he's home free. I doubt he'll get a jump coach since he's pretty much mastered the hardest elements, but going into an Olympic year a jump coach might not be a bad idea to ensure things stay on course. I'm confident that he will be much more focused by the time of the Olympics and his close calls and losses this season are the wakeup call he needs.

If anyone needs a jump coach at this point, it's Takahashi.

Cherryy

On the Ice
Takahashi jump coach Takeshi Honda. He was Hanyu's jump coach.

Oh, I didn't know that. Honda is only 5 years older than Takahashi. Does it happen often that there's such a little difference in age between a coach and a skater? They both competed against each other some time ago.

ser22

On the Ice
Oh, I didn't know that. Honda is only 5 years older than Takahashi. Does it happen often that there's such a little difference in age between a coach and a skater? They both competed against each other some time ago.

Takeshi Honda Wikipedia:
to coach Daisuke Takahashi (as a technical coach)

Honda jump coach. :)

Kuan

Final Flight
Wasn't YuNa's Lark Ascending choreo'd by Tom Dickson?, which is probably my only favorite Free program of YuNa whole her senior career, btw. IIRC she commented back then that she did not like that program so much because it was physically demanding and too exhausting for her.

My vote goes to Tom Dickson for Daisuke Takahashi, please!!! :party:

Lark Ascending was choreographed by Wilson. It was her first Wilson programm. El Tango de Roxanne is Dicksons work. I would love to see another tango-like short for Yuna from Dickson. But she will stay with Wilson. Wilson said recently he and Yuna listened a lot of music together during her stay in London and were searching for new themes.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Maybe Yuna with Camerlengo? I think that would add a new flair to her programs. Honestly, I just really want David Wilson to stop choreographing her programs in a way that has her perform excessive amounts of upper-body movement. This year's programs nearly drove me off the wall with the (sort-of) exception of Worlds.