Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coaching & choreographer changes you would like to see

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Agree. Has she ever worked with TAT? (I'm thinking, if she doesn't want to leave Russia)
    Mao already announced that TAT will be doing her Free next season. TAT will also do Adelina's choreo for sure, right? I don't think she will pick up another top felame single skater, other than these two for the Oympic season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Mao already announced that TAT will be doing her Free next season.
    Great choice. I don't know what TAT did to get Mao's head in the game come 2010 Vancouver enough to land three 3As, but it clearly worked. I'm hoping that it isn't something as serious and grandiose as Bells of Moscow, though Mao certainly could handle that music a lot better these days. Mao's getting great PCS now so it'd be nice to see her take a risk in her FS, similar to switching it up with her refreshing SP this year (that admittedly had to grow on me, but eventually I enjoyed it).

I want Patrick Chan to have a technical coach once again. He seems to be satisfied with his current training program, so I don't know how likely it is. He should realise these will be the Olympics he's been aiming for for the last 3/4 years so this would be a smart move.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    I want Patrick Chan to have a technical coach once again. He seems to be satisfied with his current training program, so I don't know how likely it is. He should realise these will be the Olympics he's been aiming for for the last 3/4 years so this would be a smart move.
    A technical coach would be good for him to clean up any minor issues, but he's clearly landing his quads with good consistency. His triple axel will always be an Achilles heel for him, and a jump coach would certainly be able to help in that regard. His sequence is also really difficult, especially at that point, but he hasn't had the same consistency this season. And to make mistakes on his lutzes periodically throughout the season is really weird for him so perhaps a jump coach might help with those too. It's weird to say it about a 3-time World champion but he really should look into getting more mentally prepared. His transitions into and out of jumps are progressively more and more difficult but I don't think it's screwing up his jumps too much so much as his focus is lost for a split second, particularly when he lands the big tricks and thinks he's home free. I doubt he'll get a jump coach since he's pretty much mastered the hardest elements, but going into an Olympic year a jump coach might not be a bad idea to ensure things stay on course. I'm confident that he will be much more focused by the time of the Olympics and his close calls and losses this season are the wakeup call he needs.

If anyone needs a jump coach at this point, it's Takahashi.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    If anyone needs a jump coach at this point, it's Takahashi.
    Agree.

And like deedee1 said, it would be cool to see Takahashi working with Dickson.

Custom Title
    Agree.

And like deedee1 said, it would be cool to see Takahashi working with Dickson.
    Takahashi jump coach Takeshi Honda. He was Hanyu's jump coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ser22 View Post
    Takahashi jump coach Takeshi Honda. He was Hanyu's jump coach.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Honda is only 5 years older than Takahashi. Does it happen often that there's such a little difference in age between a coach and a skater? They both competed against each other some time ago.

Custom Title
    Oh, I didn't know that. Honda is only 5 years older than Takahashi. Does it happen often that there's such a little difference in age between a coach and a skater? They both competed against each other some time ago.
    Takeshi Honda Wikipedia:
    to coach Daisuke Takahashi (as a technical coach)

Honda jump coach.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Wasn't YuNa's Lark Ascending choreo'd by Tom Dickson?, which is probably my only favorite Free program of YuNa whole her senior career, btw. IIRC she commented back then that she did not like that program so much because it was physically demanding and too exhausting for her.

My vote goes to Tom Dickson for Daisuke Takahashi, please!!!
    Lark Ascending was choreographed by Wilson. It was her first Wilson programm. El Tango de Roxanne is Dicksons work. I would love to see another tango-like short for Yuna from Dickson. But she will stay with Wilson. Wilson said recently he and Yuna listened a lot of music together during her stay in London and were searching for new themes.

Maybe Yuna with Camerlengo? I think that would add a new flair to her programs. Honestly, I just really want David Wilson to stop choreographing her programs in a way that has her perform excessive amounts of upper-body movement. This year's programs nearly drove me off the wall with the (sort-of) exception of Worlds.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I wish Josh Farris would go to a choreographer who would force him to do something that makes extend his body a little more. He presents a kind of loose and floppy look that I find rather boring, rather as though he were skating in a soaking wet costume that needed to be wrung out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I wish Josh Farris would go to a choreographer who would force him to do something that makes extend his body a little more. He presents a kind of loose and floppy look that I find rather boring, rather as though he were skating in a soaking wet costume that needed to be wrung out.
    Agreed and he has such lovely lines it is a bit of a shame. I liked Clare de Lune because he seemed to extend his body more fully in that program, and there was less flailing of the arms, but the FS I found a bit boring/generic and the Bach SP had too much armography. Dixon is right in Colorado Springs and I think would be a good match, but if he wants to go elsewhere I would suggest Buttle or Wilson. He's worked with Mills in the past though so that's another, maybe more realistic, possibility. Also would like to see him take on a new genre of music, maybe something bluesy or upbeat and lighthearted. Or even something modern dance-like would be an improvement, I wish his exhibition programs were more fun and less torturted artist, but he does pull off that style pretty convincingly IMO so a competitive program in the same vein could be a good vehicle for him potentially.

Custom Title
    I totally agree! I don't care how good you've been in the past, you can't watch yourself in a mirror while you're jumping. He needs a good technical coach to get his consistency back.

The choreographer I was most impressed with this season (think Denis Ten) was Stephane Lambiel. He's innovative, was a great performance skater, and has fresh new ideas.

I actually would like to see Gracie with Lori Nichol! I'm hoping that feedback on her choreography this year would lead her and her team to seek out a program that is more sophisticated with powerful, lyrical music.

And I sincerely hope someone spends ALOT of time with Max Aaron on something other than jumps this year.

Rinkside
    I wish Yuna would do something like Danse Macabre again! I didn't really like how she frequently had that angsty/in pain expression throughout her programs this season. I guess it was fitting with the music/character she was portraying, but I like fierce Yuna better.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
    Lark Ascending was choreographed by Wilson. It was her first Wilson programm. El Tango de Roxanne is Dicksons work.
    ......thanks a lot for correcting me, Kuan!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast