Coaching & choreographer changes you would like to see | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Coaching & choreographer changes you would like to see

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wish Josh Farris would go to a choreographer who would force him to do something that makes extend his body a little more. He presents a kind of loose and floppy look that I find rather boring, rather as though he were skating in a soaking wet costume that needed to be wrung out.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I wish Josh Farris would go to a choreographer who would force him to do something that makes extend his body a little more. He presents a kind of loose and floppy look that I find rather boring, rather as though he were skating in a soaking wet costume that needed to be wrung out.

Agreed and he has such lovely lines it is a bit of a shame. I liked Clare de Lune because he seemed to extend his body more fully in that program, and there was less flailing of the arms, but the FS I found a bit boring/generic and the Bach SP had too much armography. Dixon is right in Colorado Springs and I think would be a good match, but if he wants to go elsewhere I would suggest Buttle or Wilson. He's worked with Mills in the past though so that's another, maybe more realistic, possibility. Also would like to see him take on a new genre of music, maybe something bluesy or upbeat and lighthearted. Or even something modern dance-like would be an improvement, I wish his exhibition programs were more fun and less torturted artist, but he does pull off that style pretty convincingly IMO so a competitive program in the same vein could be a good vehicle for him potentially.

noskates

Record Breaker
I want Patrick Chan to have a technical coach once again. He seems to be satisfied with his current training program, so I don't know how likely it is. He should realise these will be the Olympics he's been aiming for for the last 3/4 years so this would be a smart move.

I totally agree! I don't care how good you've been in the past, you can't watch yourself in a mirror while you're jumping. He needs a good technical coach to get his consistency back.

The choreographer I was most impressed with this season (think Denis Ten) was Stephane Lambiel. He's innovative, was a great performance skater, and has fresh new ideas.

I actually would like to see Gracie with Lori Nichol! I'm hoping that feedback on her choreography this year would lead her and her team to seek out a program that is more sophisticated with powerful, lyrical music.

And I sincerely hope someone spends ALOT of time with Max Aaron on something other than jumps this year.

ellelee

Spectator
I wish Yuna would do something like Danse Macabre again! I didn't really like how she frequently had that angsty/in pain expression throughout her programs this season. I guess it was fitting with the music/character she was portraying, but I like fierce Yuna better.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I wish Yuna would do something like Danse Macabre again! I didn't really like how she frequently had that angsty/in pain expression throughout her programs this season. I guess it was fitting with the music/character she was portraying, but I like fierce Yuna better.

Definitely, Yuna's Danse Macabre is my favourite SP of hers! I'd like her not to portray the specific character, just listen to music and skate to it :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Definitely, Yuna's Danse Macabre is my favourite SP of hers! I'd like her not to portray the specific character, just listen to music and skate to it :)

I love that one too! More than Bond in some ways, but she was such a fiesty, sexy Bond girl that it's hard not to love that one either. I liked how Danse Macabre showed that an SP doesn't have to be all business and can still be elegant while having fire to it.

cristina

Rinkside
AMODIO. I would love to seem him skate a Lambiel or Nichol choreographed program to classical music. I think something along the lines of Four Seasons or Swan Lake (no techo remix, please) could be very special. I would love him to go to Frank Carroll, Lee Barkell, Mr. Nicks, Mr. Grutter, someone who will not allow him to wear suspenders or stop in the middle of the rink.

Exactly! It's heartbreaking that Amodio is forced to skate Morozov's crap year after year :( I try to remember did he ever have one normally choreographed program?? But seems there are hopes about Lambiel! http://www.francetvsport.fr/tout-le-sport-extrait-ndeg5-du-03042013-147762

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I read your posts. I wouldn't like to see that 3-4 choreographer make the programs of every skaters. I find many programs are so similar.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
It would be an absolute dream for me if Amodio left Morosov. In my opinion, Morosov is holding him back with all those uber-crappy programs.

Volosozhar/Trankov need to find better choreographers as well. Might I suggest Kavaguti/Smirnov's choreographer(s)?

I would like to see what magic Lori Nichol could create with Adelina Sotnikova. Who knows maybe once Carolina retires, Adelina can take over as Nichol's muse. :popcorn:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would like to see Brian Orser coach Chan but that won't happen with Fernandez and Hanyu in Orser's camp so I think he should go back to Kristy Krall and let his current so called coach focus on dance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A technical coach would be good for him to clean up any minor issues, but he's clearly landing his quads with good consistency. His triple axel will always be an Achilles heel for him, and a jump coach would certainly be able to help in that regard. His sequence is also really difficult, especially at that point, but he hasn't had the same consistency this season. And to make mistakes on his lutzes periodically throughout the season is really weird for him so perhaps a jump coach might help with those too. It's weird to say it about a 3-time World champion but he really should look into getting more mentally prepared. His transitions into and out of jumps are progressively more and more difficult but I don't think it's screwing up his jumps too much so much as his focus is lost for a split second, particularly when he lands the big tricks and thinks he's home free. I doubt he'll get a jump coach since he's pretty much mastered the hardest elements, but going into an Olympic year a jump coach might not be a bad idea to ensure things stay on course. I'm confident that he will be much more focused by the time of the Olympics and his close calls and losses this season are the wakeup call he needs.

If anyone needs a jump coach at this point, it's Takahashi.
ITA but I think Chan waited too long and made a huge hear tactically wise - he should have been working on another quad this season with Fernandez et al chomping on the bit. I think he won't do well at the Olymics sadly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd like to see Chan get a technical coach. He's got such a great style and lovely skating and I don't want to see him throw it all away. I remember he said at his first competition of the season - I think it was at JO? - that he and this Kathy Johnson hadn't even really talked about the competition!

I want to see Chan at peak for the Olympics, so we know once and for all. But if his coaching situation continues as it is I don't see it happening. Regardless of whatever he says he needs someone who is an actual coach. Not a glorified dance teacher.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Every time amodio talks he says he is actually doing what he wants and doesn't want to put In a creative straightjacket by doing all classical and basically hates all the Lori nichol stuff on a personal level. If he wanted to be more successful maybe he'd do all Lori nichol stuff but amodio would be gone!! He just wouldn't exist anymore and just probably leave skating for acting.

Of Adelina needs to change everything. Her worlds showing with artistic and technical disasters really made her seem like she has the worst coach choreographer in all of figure skating.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Every time amodio talks he says he is actually doing what he wants and doesn't want to put In a creative straightjacket by doing all classical and basically hates all the Lori nichol stuff on a personal level. If he wanted to be more successful maybe he'd do all Lori nichol stuff but amodio would be gone!! He just wouldn't exist anymore and just probably leave skating for acting.

Of Adelina needs to change everything. Her worlds showing with artistic and technical disasters really made her seem like she has the worst coach choreographer in all of figure skating.

Well said. However, there are tons of other choreographers aside from Lori Nichol that can help create wonderful and "out-of-the-box" programs for Amodio. Daisuke, in particular, has skated to creative programs choreographed by Miyamoto, Wilson, and Camerlengo. Imagine Amodio with a program like "Blues for Klook" (2011-2012 LP) or "Eye" (2009-2010 SP). Both programs are different, expressive, and good vehicles to showcase Amodio's personality and dance abilities.

Adelina has a lot of potential and I consider her to be a skater with the "complete package." Aside from her performances at Euros, her entire season has been a mess. From what I have seen, Adelina needs to branch out and find a choreographer that can create a program that showcases her skills.

bebevia

On the Ice
I would love to see Amodio with other choreographers, too. Morozov is not his style, I feel, in terms of both coaching and choreo, nvm if he like Morozov himself or not.

Given his B-Boying background which I love seeing in his flair (and sometimes costumes), I have a feeling (again) that assigning Lori Nichol would produce a very generic skater out of Amodio; Lori's style can translate very plain for some skaters, while her overall quality is great.

That said, I would love to have David Wilson and Sandra Bezic to work on him. Amodio is a more groovy skater than lyrical, and Wilson, whose style is very lyrical and Asian-ish, may mash up a great piece of program. Sandra, on the other hand, would be an easier suit for Amodio, with her easy-pop style that may allow Amodio a room for personal interpretation.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Gracie Gold is the most in need of a world-class choreographer, IMO. I hope her team sees how imperative this is for the Olympic season.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
I would like to see Brian Orser coach Chan but that won't happen with Fernandez and Hanyu in Orser's camp so I think he should go back to Kristy Krall and let his current so called coach focus on dance.

Agree. He needs to 'crawl back to Krall' as I remember someone saying :laugh:
Chan at Orser's camp may motivate him more though..stopping the falls?! But I don't know.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Okay top ten at your first world's isn't a total disaster imho.