Who can rival Kim in Sochi: Asada or Kostner? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Who can rival Kim in Sochi: Asada or Kostner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Flattfan, your analysis of Carolina will make me look at her performance a lot more closely. You really make the case for her place among the top skaters. Isn't it interesting how her career has developed: she makes it to the top at an age when most ladies are considered done for. She had the luxury of growth because she skates for a country where there are really no other contenders. It kind of makes you wonder what would have happened with skaters from more crowded countries, if they had had the chance to grow past their early weaknesses.

Carolina exemplifies why I like to take the long view about skaters. Some people just grow at a different pace. Shizuka and Akiko are other examples. And Paul Wylie, of course, among the men.

One word to describe their careers: satisfying.
Hopefully after 2014, there will be some young ones who will take their places. Currently, I see none.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Y
I thought overall, Yuna was about 5 points higher than I would give her.
Caro was about 3 points overscored.
Mao was about 6 points overscored.
Doesn't change the final standing one bit, doesn't change the gap between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd by much either.

Would you elaborate please? The only jumps Mao got +GOE in her LP were 3L-2L (0.6), 2A-3T (1.4 - you can make a case there but both jumps were huge and clean. Not a lot of flow out of the combination but it was a well executed combo) and 3S (0.9 - her 3S in this competition was no worse than Yuna's who got a bigger GOE). The +GOE she got on her 3A in the SP was wrong but that still doesn't add up to 6 points IMO. Her spins were painfully slow in the LP but so was her GOE. Her steps and spiral though were first rate. Her overall GOE was around 3.5 points, compared to Yuna's ~15 and Caro's 11 (who also had a fall).
Carolina's 3T from the SP was Ured and her 3F-3T was very close to me, the second jump was barely landed and still got 0.9 GOE. Besides that, I have no problem with her scores. To me, it was a very close call on the silver.
Yuna's GOE was very very high but her execution was spot on. Those monstrous 3Lz jumps and even her flip deserved the huge GOE. I think her 3S is a weaker jump for her and the GOE could have been lower but other than that, what can you take away from her?

cheerio2

On the Ice
FlattFan said:
Liza. Very small jumps. Didn't cover any distance on her jumps. Whoever said this girl is a jumper is insane. Her jumps are adequate. I wouldn't give any +GOE.

But isn't great height/distance just 1 bullet point for GOE? High jumps don't automatically mean +3 and smaller jumps dont automatically mean 0 GOE. Even if a skater doesn't jump that high, if they have good air position, good flow out, difficult steps leading in, etc. they should still be able to get +GOE.

Take a look at Sasha Cohen's flip in her 2002 Olympics short program. The footwork into her flip was spectacular, so difficult and fast and flowing. Good flowout, good air position. I haven't seen anyone else do that much footwork into their flip. Even though the jump was not that high, I think it still would have earned positive GOE.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Would you elaborate please? The only jumps Mao got +GOE in her LP were 3L-2L (0.6), 2A-3T (1.4 - you can make a case there but both jumps were huge and clean. Not a lot of flow out of the combination but it was a well executed combo) and 3S (0.9 - her 3S in this competition was no worse than Yuna's who got a bigger GOE).
I also said Yuna shouldn't get high GOE on her Sal. I thought it was just ok.
The 3L-2L was just alright. I think she did her job, it wasn't anything to write home about or this is how it's done type of jump. People are giving too much GOE for just completing the jump. A triple without any problem should get 0 GOE.
Her SS is also much weaker compare to the other 2. She's visibly slower. Maybe half a point back. That's 3.5 right there.
Her 3A in the SP should have been -2. Here and there, 6 points lower is appropriate.

Her steps and spiral though were first rate. Her overall GOE was around 3.5 points, compared to Yuna's ~15 and Caro's 11 (who also had a fall).
Caro's fall net her -GOE, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Her GOE are for the elements she did well, not the element she didn't.
Mao didn't do any jumps well enough to earn + GOE.
Yuna was overscored on GOE in a few elements s well.

Carolina's 3T from the SP was Ured and her 3F-3T was very close to me, the second jump was barely landed and still got 0.9 GOE. Besides that, I have no problem with her scores. To me, it was a very close call on the silver.
Caro's 3T looked URed, but they didn't call it. I would have called it. But Mao's inflated GOE just made it a moot point.
I don't think the silver was supposed to be that close. Mao was good in the LP, Caro was magnificent.

Yuna's GOE was very very high but her execution was spot on. Those monstrous 3Lz jumps and even her flip deserved the huge GOE. I think her 3S is a weaker jump for her and the GOE could have been lower but other than that, what can you take away from her?
I agree. +2/+3 for the lutz and lutz combo. +2 for the flip.
The rest should be +1 max.
That's why I thought she should have been 5 points lower.

In the end, nothing changes. The problem is crazy GOE.

daphna

On the Ice
If Carolina can produce a clean 7 triples performance, she has a realistic chance of gold.
ETA - the Lutz really worked well for her this season, I think she didnt miss any of those she competed.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
But isn't great height/distance just 1 bullet point for GOE? High jumps don't automatically mean +3 and smaller jumps dont automatically mean 0 GOE. Even if a skater doesn't jump that high, if they have good air position, good flow out, difficult steps leading in, etc. they should still be able to get +GOE.

What you said is true, to an extent. If you don't have great height and distance, it's very hard to get any flow in/out of the jump. With flow, you can do a lot of creative exit or extension. Physically, they are all related except for the steps preceding the jumps. Sasha should get +1 for that jump. Steps preceding solo jump is required. She would have gotten -3 if she didn't include any steps. There was a break before the jump. If you want to see clear steps/movements right before a jump, here's one. With good extension and flow on the exit, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HuwrdXlFVRc#t=50s

Tell me what else did she do that warrant + GOE?
Liza is slow. She skated very small.
#1 - no
#2 - no
#3 - no
#4 - no
#5 - no
#6 - no

1) Unexpected / creative / difficult entry -
2) Clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
3) Varied position in the air / delay in rotation
4) Great height and/or distance
5) Superior extension on landing / creative exit
6) Superior flow in and out (and in-between in jump combinations / sequences)

As you can see, Caro's jumps get bullets 3-6 even when she telegraphs them. That's why they are +2/+3.
Liza doesn't, and shouldn't get any GOE.

cheerio2

On the Ice
I think height and distance do affect flow, but there are also exceptions to that, so it makes sense that these are separate bullets instead of just one for height and distance. Irina had big jumps, but I felt her jump landings were often clunky and she didn't get much flowout. Shizuka didn't have the biggest jumps but her landings were always so flow-y.

Your clip of three turns before a loop is certainly clear steps right before, but I haven't seen anyone do a flip from steps without any break before the jump, including Caro. All the top girls now do the flip from much simpler steps with as much of of a break (or more) than what Sasha had in 2002, so I think Sasha definitely exceeded the usual step requirement there.

I agree that Caro has 4 and 6 on a regular basis, but I wouldn't give her 3 or 5 automatically for every jump.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Here are some flips with steps right in front, and the flow in and out was wonderful, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jrEZgoPpCAI#t=86s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tzP8BqVrpro#t=81s

I agree about Irina. Her landings always come to a complete stop. I think she was generously scored on GOE a lot of the time. A while back, I was comparing Caro and Irina's jumps, and Caro had better GOE even during Irina's reign.

Shizuka is one of those whose jumps have great flow in and out. She doesn't have the height, but the distance is big. I love her skating skills. Probably the closest to Carolina in that department.

Krislite

Medalist
The bullets for positive GOE are only guidelines according to the technical handbook, not hard rules. Each judge can deviate according to their own discretion if they think the executed element warrants it.

The only hard and fast rules are about falls, UR and edge calls, as well as required elements in the SP. And even those have some wiggle room since some only require a reduction in GOE but not necessarily negative GOE.

Carolina has very strong skating skills, but at the same time she is the tallest among the ladies. Naturally she can do fewer strokes to accelerate since each stroke is so massive compared to say Liza's stroking. Height also affects the perception of a jump's "size". Not that that explains the difference (short ladies like Midori still had great speed), but it is a factor. A judge can take this into account when considering how much positive GOE to give to Liza's jumps, and adjust accordingly.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Carolina has very strong skating skills, but at the same time she is the tallest among the ladies. Naturally she can do fewer strokes to accelerate since each stroke is so massive compared to say Liza's stroking. Height also affects the perception of a jump's "size". Not that that explains the difference (short ladies like Midori still had great speed), but it is a factor. A judge can take this into account when considering how much positive GOE to give to Liza's jumps, and adjust accordingly.

Taller doesn't mean your "fewer strokes" can accelerate faster. It's all edge control.
Someone like Meryl can easily generate as much speed as Caro and Meryl is tiny.

A lot of taller guys, maybe 8-9 inches, got nothing on Oda or Koz or Dai or Patrick. Again, strong skating skills, not height.

I agree that height affects the perception of jump size. But judges can see it.

Why should a judge take into account if someone is shorter and therefore deserve better GOE? Should Michael Phelps get a -30 sec deduction because his body is ideal for swimming? Should his competitors get a 10 sec head start as well?

Comparing Liza and Caro, the difference is so vast, it's ridiculous that Liza can even come close.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
My parents hightailed out of Seoul last week. Anyway, I was going through some of their pics, and found Miss Yuna hawking jewelries plastered all over Korean Air shopping alley on the A380 plane. Next to Charlize Theron. She's a star!

I don't think Mao and Caro can rival her when it comes to advertisement.

ellelee

Spectator
My parents hightailed out of Seoul last week. Anyway, I was going through some of their pics, and found Miss Yuna hawking jewelries plastered all over Korean Air shopping alley on the A380 plane. Next to Charlize Theron. She's a star!

I don't think Mao and Caro can rival her when it comes to advertisement.

Yuna seriously sells everything in Korea. She does ads for yogurt, refrigerators, watches, jewerly, Samsung Galaxy, Nike Korea, bank, Hyundai, bakery chain, beer, milk, I can't even name everything.
I went to Korea last summer, and her face is literally everywhere. She is probably #1 loved public figure in Korea. I remember the Korean stock market actually came to a stop during her LP at 2010 olympics and the president of Korea called Yuna to personally congratulate her on her OGM. I wonder how many athletes have the power to freeze the stock market, lol.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
With the performance at the World team trophy of Adelina Sotnikova, I think that anything is possible to match Kim Yu-Na.
Adelina have understand what is the goal to beat Yu-Na Kim, it is necessary to put a 3/3 with a triple lutz and a triple flip like solo jump in the SP without that it is impossible to challenge Yu-Na except for a skater like Akiko Suzuki who can beat Yu-Na in the component side and make maybe a triple/triple more easiest if the other element are perfect.

What an exiting season who will have for the Olympic if everyone play the big gun :yay:

GO Ladies: Triple lutz/Triple toe or Triple lutz/Triple loop or Triple axel is the key!

And congratulation to Adelina Sotnikova who has understand that soon compare to some other skater :)

venlac

On the Ice
With the performance at the World team trophy of Adelina Sotnikova, I think that anything is possible to match Kim Yu-Na.

among the the Russian girls, I think Tuktamysheva is more likely beat her.
And her coach already looking forward to it.

Alexei Mishin's interview about 2013 worlds (google translate)
Alexei Mishin said, with what high mission of his pupil came to Canada in London.
- Lisa was set to win an Olympic champion Yu-Na Kim - curled Alexei. - But in the short program, this spirit it devoured. She performed a brilliant cascade of three-three, made the second element, layback, and then there was this fall before entering the rotation of the axel and oiled. Today, she could not speak. A serious condition. But still her skating, even with errors, has a very decent level. Girl with good potential. So I calmly look at her modest results in these competitions. The main thing is it has no problems with jumping. That's my "method": we do not underrotated.
http://www.rg.ru/2013/03/17/figuristka-site.html

cheerio2

On the Ice
Yuna seriously sells everything in Korea. She does ads for yogurt, refrigerators, watches, jewerly, Samsung Galaxy, Nike Korea, bank, Hyundai, bakery chain, beer, milk, I can't even name everything.
I went to Korea last summer, and her face is literally everywhere. She is probably #1 loved public figure in Korea. I remember the Korean stock market actually came to a stop during her LP at 2010 olympics and the president of Korea called Yuna to personally congratulate her on her OGM. I wonder how many athletes have the power to freeze the stock market, lol.

It's interesting how Kim has no doubt helped the Korean economy by popularizing Korean made products to the world. I know a lot of people outside of Korea wanted the crown earrings Kim wore at the Olympics which were made by a Korean company. I'm sure the same goes for Korean made shoes like Prospecs and other things that she endorses as well.

Personally, I blame Kim for getting me hooked on Korean dramas :laugh:. Originally, I came across a subtitled video clip of Kim hosting her ice skating TV show in Korea (it was exactly like Korea's version of Skating with the Stars and David Wilson was one of the judges!). a Korean actress was skating on the show. They showed a clip of the actress in a Korean drama and I thought it looked really entertaining. So then I checked out the drama (which was called "Secret Garden") and enjoyed it so much that I ended up watching the whole thing subtitled on a site called dramafever. It was funny because my family and I have no connection to Korea whatsoever, so they would be watching football or something and totally confused why I was watching a Korean drama on the computer all the time :rofl:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Here's the ladies at World this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bguVRNOhtpc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

4. Zijun. Her jumps are very small... Should not get any +GOE on the jumps, either.

7. Caro. The lutz was just perfect, text book perfect.

I agree with most of what you said, but a couple points I disagree with (these 2 as examples). Zijun IS small but for her height, her jumps get decent height and she gets a lot of distance on them and good flow on the exits... look at her 3F-3T or 3F, for example.

Caro's lutz is textbook except for that hugely telegraphed entry. An issue with her is that she really needs a ton of speed to execute her jumps, which means a lot of set up. Li, for comparison, did a 2A-3T almost immediately after her 3F-3T and with practically no preparation. As much as I hate telegraphing, it does kinda work for Kostner in that it emphasizes how much speed she's carrying across the ice to practically hold a lutz edge the entire width of the ice (I'd have given it a +1, because of the lack of flow on the landing and blatant telegraphing, but everything else about it was lovely).

Bartek

On the Ice
Here are some flips with steps right in front, and the flow in and out was wonderful, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jrEZgoPpCAI#t=86s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tzP8BqVrpro#t=81s

I agree about Irina. Her landings always come to a complete stop. I think she was generously scored on GOE a lot of the time. A while back, I was comparing Caro and Irina's jumps, and Caro had better GOE even during Irina's reign.

Shizuka is one of those whose jumps have great flow in and out. She doesn't have the height, but the distance is big. I love her skating skills. Probably the closest to Carolina in that department.

This is ********. I've provided you with PLENTY of Irina's triple flip that had fantastic height AND flow but contrarily to Caro's flips they weren't set up for the whole length of ice rink...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsrxgkMdt8E&t=2m45s

She does a leg lift, some turns, change of edges and still maintains huge speed going into the jump. Possible? Yes, not for Caro though...

And very often Irina would get higher GEO. I have no idea why you're trying to encourage people to believe this but many of your "facts" are simply untrue.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
This is ********. I've provided you with PLENTY of Irina's triple flip that had fantastic height AND flow but contrarily to Caro's flips they weren't set up for the whole length of ice rink...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsrxgkMdt8E&t=2m45s

She does a leg lift, some turns, change of edges and still maintains huge speed going into the jump. Possible? Yes, not for Caro though...

And very often Irina would get higher GEO. I have no idea why you're trying to encourage people to believe this but many of your "facts" are simply untrue.

Are you having trouble understanding or something? ALL OF YOUR EXAMPLES are pre-CoP, so how would she get higher GOE? I provided plenty of examples where Caro got higher GOE for the same element in the same competition (when she was still a nobody compare to Irina)
It's funny because Irina is known to come to a complete halt whenever she jumps, you can find one or two example where she has flow out, but she's not a "flow" type of skater.
I have no idea why something so simple is so hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.