Thread: Which out of Team Canada, Kim, or V&T are biggest gold lock for Sochi

Hybrid View

Banned

Which out of Team Canada, Kim, or V&T are biggest gold lock for Sochi

It seems that the consensus is that the Team gold for Canada, Kim in the womens, and Volsozhar & Trankov in the pairs are virtual gold locks. Davis & White are now the consensus strong favorites for gold, but not a lock over Virtue & Moir. Many now believe Chan wont even in win the mens gold in Sochi. So out of the 3 near locks, which do you believe is the biggest lock, Canada in the Team event, Kim in the ladies, or Voloszhar & Trankov in the pairs.

Either Yuna or V/T. Both seem like strong golds but always with small chances of loosing. In my opinion, V/T are even more likely than Yuna to win Sochi gold though I can't really tell why I think so.

Custom Title
    Ice is slippery and really, no one is a lock for gold. Kim is the likeliest to win gold, but nothing is sure.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    None of these are locks.

Yu-Na Kim, I think. V&T have had some bad performances (I know they still won with them but they didn't have much competition with S&S not competing for some of this past season, and not skating their best when they did). Team Russia could beat Canada, depending on how Plushenko skates. They will already have a better pair and likely a better lady (sorry, can't remember if it was going to be one or two ladies in the team event).

Custom Title
    McKayla Maroney was a lock for gold medal in 2012 London Olympics on vault and we all probably know what happened. Nobody is a lock.
    If I had to make a bet, I would say V/T. I am not saying Yuna because she will have to face the pressure of being the defending champion, otherwise, I would have my money on her.

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    We will see. Maos score was in Japan, and it is pretty clear by all her competitions this year she scores much higher in Japan than she will anywhere else for comparable skates. Anyway if she does a clean short with both a 3axel and a 3-3 I will buy a lottery ticket immediately after. As for Kostner a 3 lutz-3 toe or 3 flip-3 toe vs a 3 toe-3 toe will only get you a couple more points max. Also wasnt the score you refer to at the Italian Nationals Figure Skating Championships, lol!
    No it was at the Challenge Cup. I don't think she deserved that score, but oh well.

The point is, Yuna's not guaranteed to leave everyone else in the dust after the short program, unlike at Vancouver. The race will be much closer this time, so yes, both Mao and Caro are serious rivals.

Banned
    In any case V&T were my pick when I opened this thread and they still are. My golds odds for Vancouver are:

V&T- 95% (really more like 99% though, I am just being generous to the rest)
    Team Canada- 90%
    Kim- 85%
    Davis & White- 55% (that might be a bit low though, might be as much as 65% when they are starting to regularly beat V&M and handily beat them at Worlds on t heir home turf)

Like I said there is no one particular man who has more than 30%. Before Worlds I would have said Chan had 105% to win as the last 3 years he hasnt even had to skate to win events, his golds could have been mailed to him, and it was a certainty nobody had horrendously he skated and how outstandingly anyone else skated he was sure to win, but I have a feeling the huge outcry around the whole World over this years Worlds results, which comes on the heels after a fairly loud outcry of last years Worlds result which was in reality even worse but the Chan farce has simply gone on too long now, will have the ISU be very careful when it comes to next years Sochi Olympics. Everyone will now be watching Chan and how is scored very closely, including probably even the IOC members who will be fearful of another skating scandal tainting the whole Games like 2002.

Custom Title
    Has Mao ever skated a clean long program? I've been watching her for years but don't remember her ever going completely clean in the long. Seems like there's nearly always at least some popped jumps in there. Does anyone know?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Has Mao ever skated a clean long program? I've been watching her for years but don't remember her ever going completely clean in the long. Seems like there's nearly always at least some popped jumps in there. Does anyone know?
    Even at the Vancouver Olympics, Mao did not skate clean. After frontloading the program with 3a and 3a+2t, she seemed to run out of gas in the second half, URing the 3f in combination, and popping a planned 3t to a single.

She won Worlds 2010, but did not skate a clean FS there: she URd the 3a in combination. She won Worlds 2008, but popped her 3a attempt and URd the 3lo in a 3/3 attempt. She won 4CC this year, but URd a 3a attempt, URd the 3lo in a 3/3 attempt, URd the 3t in combo with 2a, and doubled the salchow.

Mao's seeming inability to produce a clean FS cost her the OGM in 2010 and could threaten her medal hopes in Sochi.