Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Which out of Team Canada, Kim, or V&T are biggest gold lock for Sochi

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147

    Which out of Team Canada, Kim, or V&T are biggest gold lock for Sochi

    It seems that the consensus is that the Team gold for Canada, Kim in the womens, and Volsozhar & Trankov in the pairs are virtual gold locks. Davis & White are now the consensus strong favorites for gold, but not a lock over Virtue & Moir. Many now believe Chan wont even in win the mens gold in Sochi. So out of the 3 near locks, which do you believe is the biggest lock, Canada in the Team event, Kim in the ladies, or Voloszhar & Trankov in the pairs.

  2. #2
    Custom Title Cherryy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    255
    Either Yuna or V/T. Both seem like strong golds but always with small chances of loosing. In my opinion, V/T are even more likely than Yuna to win Sochi gold though I can't really tell why I think so.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,512
    Ice is slippery and really, no one is a lock for gold. Kim is the likeliest to win gold, but nothing is sure.

  4. #4
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,967
    None of these are locks.

  5. #5
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    Yu-Na Kim, I think. V&T have had some bad performances (I know they still won with them but they didn't have much competition with S&S not competing for some of this past season, and not skating their best when they did). Team Russia could beat Canada, depending on how Plushenko skates. They will already have a better pair and likely a better lady (sorry, can't remember if it was going to be one or two ladies in the team event).

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,612
    McKayla Maroney was a lock for gold medal in 2012 London Olympics on vault and we all probably know what happened. Nobody is a lock.
    If I had to make a bet, I would say V/T. I am not saying Yuna because she will have to face the pressure of being the defending champion, otherwise, I would have my money on her.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    828
    I agree, no one is a lock. I would think V/T are the biggest favorites in all the disciplines--they're in Russia, they're going to restore a huge tradition of Russian pairs figure skating being on the Olympic podium, and oh, they're pretty darn good too. S/S are already Olympic bronze medalists; I think there would be more drama if they and V/T were going for their first Olympic medal each, and if last season had been closer between the two.

    I actually think D/W and maybe even Patrick Chan ( ) are bigger "locks" than Kim--they each have powerful federations on their side gunning for the first ever gold in that discipline for that country. The men's is so highly competitive that if Patrick has a meltdown though, PCS can't make up for a huge point loss if he misses his quads. The fact that Kim has a gold already is a personal advantage for her (may help her skate more freely), but the judges may have a "share the wealth" mentality and want to keep it close between her and everyone else, so I don't think she's as big a lock as the favorites going for their first OGM.

    As for the team event, I think it's between Canada and Russia, edge to Canada.

  8. #8
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    79
    The only results you can predict is V/M and D/W will both be on the podium!

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,865
    I'd say the "locks" (considering there, in truth, are no locks) are V/T on the podium, D/W and V/M going 1-2 on the podium, and Kim being on the podium.

    Ice dance will be a fight for bronze, and that should be pretty interesting. D/W are my picks for gold, but V/M handed them momentum when their Carmen simply didn't work this season.

    Pairs should go to V/T, given that the Germans struggle with consistency and V/T get high PCS. But up until Worlds, V/T never had that level of clean programs internationally, so who knows. Around GPF/NRW Trophy time the Germans would have actually beaten the Russians. The Canadian teams have also shown growing consistency but I get the sense that no matter how poorly the Germans/Russians skate and how clean they skate, they'll be fighting for bronze.

    Men's is still anybody's game. Hanyu and Fernandez would be my guesses to beat Chan. I would have to see how Ten does in the events leading up to the Olympics, because other than Worlds his season wasn't exactly OGM contender material.

    Women's will likely be between Kim and Asada... I think Kostner's the best overall skater out of the three but sorely lacks the consistency and difficulty needed to beat them. At their best (as in, given the best each has ever skated in the past few years and what they have been capable of), Kim will definitely win. Kim, even in her worst programs, has never placed lower than 3rd and even with errors her PCS will be high, hence why I think she's a lock. Part of me thinks Kostner and Asada are podium locks given their placements over cleaner skaters at the past Worlds and uber-high PCS... but I would hope the judges don't pull a Chan-Ten fiasco and gift error-filled skates just because they're better skaters.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    McKayla Maroney was a lock for gold medal in 2012 London Olympics on vault and we all probably know what happened. Nobody is a lock.
    Exactly! Completely agree.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    IMO the biggest gold locks are Volosozhar & Trankov. I give them 95% chance at gold. I really dont think the Germans are any threat to them anymore. Nobody else is either. With Olympics in Russia they will have to skate an awful program to lose.

    I would say second is Canada winning the team gold. I give that about 90% chance only since a big injury could happen which is the only way Canada who has by far the deepest overall team could lose.

    Kim winning the gold is third. I remember saying I gave Asada 15% chance at the gold and Kostner 5% so that gives Kim 80%.

    I give D&W 55% to win, and no particular man anymore than 30% at this point.

  12. #12
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,754
    Looking at the scores and the placements that they had this season (winning everything even with big mistakes over other skaters who didn't make mistakes at all, but being able to skate wonderfully, too), I think that V/T have the best chance for the OGM at the moment... In Ladie, it's more difficult: if Yu-Na makes mistakes (since she doesn't have the 3Lo), someone else (either Mao or Caro) could easily win. About Men, I won't say anything, because we've seen how many strange things have happened this season. In Ice Dance, it will depend on which programs D/W and V/M will choose...

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    560
    I think V/M would be better than Finnstep than D/W, as their basic skills were always better than D/W's. Hopefully, V/M would get a good program, maybe even a program that's better than their Mahler FD.

    V/T do have highest chance of winning in pairs, since they're currently unbeatable by anyone else. Unless S/S or D/R have skate of their lives and V/T has a meltdown, V/T should be considered as a lock for gold.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    I actually think D/W and maybe even Patrick Chan ( ) are bigger "locks" than Kim--they each have powerful federations on their side gunning for the first ever gold in that discipline for that country. The men's is so highly competitive that if Patrick has a meltdown though, PCS can't make up for a huge point loss if he misses his quads. The fact that Kim has a gold already is a personal advantage for her (may help her skate more freely), but the judges may have a "share the wealth" mentality and want to keep it close between her and everyone else, so I don't think she's as big a lock as the favorites going for their first OGM.
    I really dislike when "powerful federations" are brought up as to why a certain skater may win--because to me, that's akin to accusing the federation or judges of dishonesty.

    As for my guess as to a "lock" on the gold, I think Yuna Kim. She's just, that good.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    560
    My pick for ladies is Yuna-she's most likely to skate two clean programs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •