Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Which out of Team Canada, Kim, or V&T are biggest gold lock for Sochi

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    ^^^

I'm still figuring out the scoring... but an edge call on 3F costs 2-3 points? That seems costly...

A fall would cost 4 right? -3GOE and -1 deduction?
    YuNa's edge call in the Worlds 2013 SP cost -0.2. One judge gave her -2, three judges gave her -1, three gave her 0, and two gave her +1; the -2 and one +1 would have been thrown out, leaving -1 -1 -1 0 0 0 +1.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar

Math

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    From the ISU's 2012-2013 technical handbook:

"In cases of not taking off from the clean correct edge the Technical Panel will indicate the error to the Judges using the sign “e” (edge). The Technical Panel may watch the replay in slow motion. Each Judge will then decide himself/herself on the severity of the error (major or minor error) and the corresponding GOE reduction."

Since Yuna's edge call was so controversial, it probably wasn't severe enough to dock 2-3 points. She would have scored above 70 without it, but probably not 72-73 when you factor in the points lost on the wonky flying camel spin.

I'm no expert on the scoring system, but falls seem to warrant -2.10 GOE plus an automatic 1-point deduction, leading to a loss of 3.10 points.

ETA: Looking at the protocols, three judges gave her -1 GOE on the flip, three gave her 0 GOE, two gave her +1 GOE, and one gave her -2 GOE. All in all it averages to -0.20 GOE, which dropped her to just below 70.
    YuNa lost -0.2 from the edge call, but her clean 3Flip often garners +2 GOE's, and sometimes +3's. As in the LP, that would come out to +1.9 GOE when adjusted.

69.97 + 1.9 + 0.2 = 72.07 which is clearly in the 72-73 range. Nadia is correct.

Not sure what the "wonky flying camel spin" has to do with it, unless you feel she wasn't docked there. But then again, she doesn't always have a wonk flying camel spin.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    YuNa lost -0.2 from the edge call, but her clean 3Flip she often garners +2 GOE's, and sometimes +3's. As in the LP, that would come out to +1.9 GOE.

69.97 + 1.9 + 0.2 = 72.07 which is clearly in the 72-73 range. Nadia is correct.

Not sure what the "wonky flying camel spin" has to do with it, unless you feel she wasn't docked there. But then again, she doesn't always have a wonk flying camel spin.
    Mea culpa.

But she clearly was marked down on the flying camel, if the Level 3 is anything to go by. It was a fluke on her part.

ETA: Wasn't the 3F the jump that Yuna nearly missed? If so, that's probably what caused the edge call + deductions.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Mea culpa.

But she clearly was marked down on the flying camel, if the Level 3 is anything to go by. It was a fluke on her part.

ETA: Wasn't the 3F the jump that Yuna nearly missed? If so, that's probably what caused the edge call + deductions.
    It was supposedly her 3Lutz. Her air position has an interesting-looking, slightly wild swing in it.

Honestly, edge call or not, I am just relieved that she went (mostly) clean. No sour grapes here at all, especially knowing she could have splatted her 3Lutz.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    A gold lock. Mmmh, I suppose the really boring result would be this: V/T, Chan, Kim, D/W and Team Canada. So basically this years World Champions. Did that happen before? I mean that all the World Champions from the season before won the Olympics? I hope it won't come this way because it would be boring like I said. I hope and pray that the Olympics at last will be different from this years worlds. I don't want any controversies, I want all to have a clean performance and deliver their best on that night. Just thinking of a mens event like 4CC or Worlds....ew. Please no.

Strangely I also think that Chan is probably the least likely lock, even though he rules the men after Vancouver. I think his star is slowly dimishing and you could see the first signs of it this season. His peak came to soon. (Or too late if you think Vancouver) I'm really curious how the Olympic pressure might get to him. The only reason why I think that V/T are a lock is because Sochi is in Russia. It just won't happen for S/S there. Basically because this is the only real chance of Russia for Gold in Figure Skating. So I think that V/T even have a mistake margin. And mistakes are something that S/S cannot have. It cannot be too obvious though, or there would be outrage. If it wouldn't be Russia S/S would have a chance. But even a Silver Medal would be great, considering they only have Olympic Bronze. They want the Gold, yeah, but I think Silver is something to be proud of too. I wish them a great program and the performance of a life time in Sochi. Yuna is just an amazing wonder to me. I think it is sooo awesome that she is on top without a high value coach. No - she is even coached by the team that coached her when she was small! Isn't that amazing? It is her talent and not the work of some wonder coach. As much as I love Mao - I don't really think it'll happen for her, but there is a slight chance. And I want a medal for Carolina to put the Olympic disasters behind her and end her career on a high note. But Yuna is the lock for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    YuNa lost -0.2 from the edge call, but her clean 3Flip often garners +2 GOE's, and sometimes +3's. As in the LP, that would come out to +1.9 GOE when adjusted.

Thanks for the math. I thought people would understand what I meant by Yuna scoring 72-73 w/ a well-executed non-edge-called flip, but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    YuNa's edge call in the Worlds 2013 SP cost -0.2. One judge gave her -2, three judges gave her -1, three gave her 0, and two gave her +1; the -2 and one +1 would have been thrown out, leaving -1 -1 -1 0 0 0 +1.
    ...and so averaging these seven scores and multiplying by .7 gives the final GOE: -2/7 x .7 = -.2.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    But in the end, K/P triumphed with skating that was so good it simply could not be denied. I do think S/S have a chance to do the same.
    Many know I'm not a fan of pairs skating nowadays, but K/P delivered a free dance for the ages. It was sublime, and just buried D/D. I just don't think S/S can possibly match that level in their pairs free skate.

Someone has to win, I suppose. Chances are it will be V/T. Or it might be S/S if mistakes are made. Or the entire competition might be a train wreck.

In any event, ISU really needs to take a look at the quality of pairs programs we're seeing, and find some way to remedy this. CoP, as it stands, isn't getting the job done in pairs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4