Kristi vs. Michelle--at their best... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kristi vs. Michelle--at their best...

dizzydi

On the Ice
Kristi vs. Michelle....

That's a difficult choice because I like both skaters.

Although it's true that Kristi has shown more versatility with her performances, choice of music, etc., she has also had more opportunity to do so with skating professionally for ten years. It's possible that Michelle would also show this versatility given more opportunity for exhibition type programs. I did enjoy Michelle's very different exhibition at Nationals this year.

In my opinion, it's hard to compare the two because of their very different paths. I think they are equally athletic and artistic. They both have been great champions and role models.

Kristi is an awesome skater as is Michelle. I think it's a tie.

Dizzy

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Kristi would have beaten Michelle. She was a very tough competitor and held herself together when it counted. Michelle doesn't skate well under Olympic pressure (esp the last Olympics). Also Kristi was a much better jumper than Michelle and had really difficult combination jumps.

Jhar55

Medalist
This is a hard one I like both, but if having to choose I'll pick Michelle.
Good one mathman. Us ladies will have to think which men for those catagories.
Paul - would be one to marry.
Todd - would be the one to take home to meet the folks.
John Z - to make out out.
???? - as who to put on a pedastal.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Well, Kristi had a fall on a 3loop and doubled a 3sal at the Olympics. I'm not sure I'd classify that as holding it together when it counts, although she didn't fall apart she did 5 triples. Michelle did 7 triples in '98 and 5 in '02. Had Midori had a clean SP & LP I think things might have been a little different for Kristi there. She skated better at Nationals (clean w/o 3z-3t IIRC) and Worlds (one fall on the 3sal).

It would have been nice to have seen Kristi win an international title with a clean skate at some point, or to have won either Skate America (where she finished behind Tonya) or Lalique (behind Midori) that Olympic year.

Neither of them have great height on their jumps. Kristi had a nice 3(f)lutz-3toe, but other than that I think Michelle's jumps are more consistent. Michelle doesn't have a 'bad' jump per se like Kristi did.

Still, even I admit I'm nitpicking here. They're both great.

soogar

Record Breaker
Despite the fall in her LP in 1992, Kristi still managed not to make a total mess of things. She remained composed and salvaged the rest of her program. Unlike MK's SLC program where she only needed 2nd place and couldn't even manage that. Being a champion isn't all about landing your jumps rather than making the best of the competitive situation. I was a huge Midori Ito fan but she could not handle the pressure at all. She skated great in her second half of her program but in the beginning it was as if she were sleepwalking. Also Kristi did not have a flutz jump. Kristi grew up with school figures and knew how to hold a back outside edge unlike a lot of the ladies today. Also she had crisper technique and was lighter on her feet than Michelle. Michelle's jumps don't look effortless at all.

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Kristi AND Michelle!!

soogar said:
Despite the fall in her LP in 1992, Kristi still managed not to make a total mess of things. She remained composed and salvaged the rest of her program. Unlike MK's SLC program where she only needed 2nd place and couldn't even manage that. Being a champion isn't all about landing your jumps rather than making the best of the competitive situation. I was a huge Midori Ito fan but she could not handle the pressure at all. She skated great in her second half of her program but in the beginning it was as if she were sleepwalking. Also Kristi did not have a flutz jump. Kristi grew up with school figures and knew how to hold a back outside edge unlike a lot of the ladies today. Also she had crisper technique and was lighter on her feet than Michelle. Michelle's jumps don't look effortless at all.

"Michelle's jumps don't look effortless, at all.":confused: C'mon, dude you can't be serious. I think Michelle's record of longivity and consistantly good skating speaks for itself. I should point that michelle did land 7 jumps at the olympics (98). Kristi and Michelle had they been in the same era, would have been each others top competitors. I can't chose one. We could only imagine how their rivalry would evolve. I'd have to give it to Michelle because of her proven track record of pulling it out when it counts for almost 10 years now. However it would be very close as Kriti is brillient as well. I think kristi had spins but Michelle had sprials. tough call.

OK, now I'm watching my tape of Kristi's Bridge Over Troubled Waters. I want to change my vote to Kristi. :love:

But then again, it's hard to get last week's Tosca out of my mind. Every jump, and especially the landing, was the very definition of perfection. And when she hit that last triple Lutz and started in on her "victory lap" (i.e., her footwork sequence), it was like she was carving her address into the ice so they would be sure to know where to send the trophy for her EIGHTH UNITED STATES NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! :love:

Mathman

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
soogar said:
Despite the fall in her LP in 1992, Kristi still managed not to make a total mess of things. She remained composed and salvaged the rest of her program.

Michelle skated fine after her fall, Kristi doubled the jump that followed hers. Both landed their 2nd triple lutzes. :confused:

Being a champion isn't all about landing your jumps rather than making the best of the competitive situation.

Kristi skated first in the final group. I don't think she had any idea what the 'competitive situation' was going to be, only that if Midori beat her in the lp she needed to finish right behind her., ahead of someone like Tonya who had already defeated her that season.

Kristi kept her cool but I wouldn't consider her Oly lp performance the best example of her abilities, and since the whole point of this thread is "at their best" I think her '92 Nationals, '92 Worlds and '91 Worlds performances are much more appropriate.

Then, too, the question on this thread is not to compare Olympic performances, but to compare Kristi and Michelle at their best. To me, this means we should be looking at Michelle's 1998 East of Eden (the Washington D.C. performance), or the Rachmaninov short program at 1998 Nationals, or (as RTureck mentioned) her 2000 Worlds performance of the Red Violin, or last year's Aranjuez (Nationals or Worlds). Or maybe Salome at 1996 Worlds. When you look at it that way, you have to marvel at the fact that almost every year for the last nine years Michelle has given us performances that rank among the all-time greatest in the sport. That is astonishing to me.

Mathman

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Why does anyone have to choose who is better? I find these type of comparisions to be futile at best. I think it's impossible to compare skaters, especially skaters of different eras. Apples and oranges as someone said. I'm glad so many enjoy both skaters.

Having said that Kristi will always win in my book - hands down no contest. :love:

Hi, Purple Cat. You only have 8 posts on the new Golden Skate board -- we need you to come by more often. I am going to start some more Kristi :love: threads just to lure you over here! :)

Mathman

mpal2

Final Flight
Mathman said:
OK, now I'm watching my tape of Kristi's Bridge Over Troubled Waters. I want to change my vote to Kristi. :love:

Mathman

I forgot about Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Score another program for Kristi. Still, I love more of Michelle's programs so she still gets the slight edge.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman said:

And when she hit that last triple Lutz and started in on her "victory lap" (i.e., her footwork sequence), it was like she was carving her address into the ice so they would be sure to know where to send the trophy for her EIGHTH UNITED STATES NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! :love:

Mathman

What else is there to say?

Piel

BrokenAnkle

Rinkside
No professional I respect more

But somehow I just don't enjoy watching Kristi skate nearly as much as I do Michelle. That is purely a matter of taste, of course. I do think of each skater at their peak, Michelle would triumph more often but it would be some close battles, that's for sure

BA

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
random thoughts

Ya know, I was just thinking and I agree with purplecat. It is really impossible to directly compare skaters of different eras. But consider this...Lu Chen was world bronze medalist in 1992 and she skated against both Kriti and Michelle. By 1996 Lu Chen was surpassed by Kwan. Bonaly also skated against Yamaguchi and Kwan and she after 95 worlds she never had a vicory over Kwan. Both skaters however never beat Kristi.

Humm...come to think about it only Katerina Witt comes to mind as a skater who really would have caused Michelle Problems if they skated in the same era. Much like sasha and Michelle today Katerina and Michelle both great stylist but their styles are very different.

Katerina was a *competitor* just like Kwan. I'll always cite '87 worlds at evidence of Katerina's competitiveness. There Kat skated directly after Debi Thomas(who skated wonderfully) and knew she HAD nail the 3loop. Now mind you Katerina didn't land a single clean 3loop in warm-up she keep on falling on it. Kat did the 3loop in front of the judges and won(even getting a 6.0 from the East German Judge, suprise!!) That's a champion. Now Witt vs. Kwan THAT would be interesting indeed.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Although I fail to see the relevance here; probably the biggest difference between Kristi and Michelle is their style. However, what they both have in common is their ability to "stay on their feet." Both are consistent jumpers and both are great competitors under pressure.

Kristi was more of a technical skater, but she developed her artistic side more when she turned pro. Michelle is more artistic, but has improved technically.

I think the best thing to do is to appreciate each skater for her skating abilities and contributions to figure skating as a whole.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Kristi and Michelle

This is extremely difficult. Kristi and MK were the two best all-around female skaters of the 90s.

As an amateur, I think Kristi's closest brush with perfection was at 1992 Nationals. She landed 7 triples including a 3lutz/hop/3toe sequence to a beautifully choreographed, absolutely packed Malaguena program. Her 1991 Worlds LP was also nearly perfect -- 6 triples landed including a 3flip/hop/3toe sequence. The only reduction was that she singled her salchow. Of course as a pro she skated a number of perfect programs.

Michelle has had a longer amateur career so it's not really a fair comparison. Some possible "perfect" programs for her could include 1996, 2000 and 2001 Worlds and 1998 and 2003 Nats.

Both have their various strengths and weaknesses from a technical standpoint. Kristi had more difficult jump combinations, harder jump entrances and better spins, while Michelle has better speed, spirals and edges. In terms of artistry, which is harder to quantify, I think Michelle skates with a sense of freedom and command that Kristi did not develop until she turned pro. As an amateur she had strong presentation but seemed rather contained. Both are equally strong technically, but I think Michelle would have edged Kristi on the presentation mark.

So overall, in some alternate universe where Kristi and Michelle were amateurs at the same time and skated against one another, I think Michelle would come out on top the majority of the time. That said, though MK has had some formidable competitors, she has never had a rival as strong as Kristi would have been. In that alternate universe, Michelle would certainly NOT be the 8 time National and 5 time World Champion. Kristi would have taken a few of those titles away from her.

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Hi, Purple Cat. You only have 8 posts on the new Golden Skate board -- we need you to come by more often. I am going to start some more Kristi :love: threads just to lure you over here! :)

Mathman

I know! I've lurked a lot, but haven't posted that much since the board change. I also didn't take advantage of the time when it was offered to carry over the number of posts from the old board! LOL! I'll try to come by more often. :)

:)

Can I change my vote back? Right now I'm watching Kristi doing Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer (in the red Santa Claus dress with the white fur cuffs, not the all white one).

Gezando, thanks for the link to the Kwan fan article. What a tribute it is to our girl that she inspires such emotion and loyalty in everyone who meets her or sees her skate!

Mathman