Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some Cinderellas

A little update. On Wednesday we went to NYC, met up with one of our nephews (who loves Broadway musicals) and we all saw Cinderella! We enjoyed it very much, although I must admit I still like the 1960's version even more. The singing & score in the stage show are great. There were some twists & turns in the latest stage version (some additional humor, and some socially conscious/PC lines that deviated from the original story - not necessarily necessary to the plot), but we were still very glad to see it!

Custom Title
    How splendid, Iluvtodd!

The 1960s one is the one I can't find anywhere, though there is a bit of it in snippets on YouTube. My feeling is that it's the supporting players I prefer in that version, rather than the lead, because no one holds a candle to Julie Andrews. I suppose you could say that Lesley Ann Warren is more girlish than Julie Andrews, though each played the role at roughly the same age. Julie Andrews was never girlish, not even in My Fair Lady from what I can see in photos and hear on the record. But she was so radiant and so charismatic. I don't think anyone else can hold a candle to her.

Supposedly Disney wanted Whitney Houston to play Cinderella, not the Godmother. Houston felt that at 33, she was too old. Though Brandy is charming and beautiful in the role, I wonder what Whitney might have made of the role had she found it at an earlier age. That voice, singing those Rogers and Hammerstein songs...now, that would have been something to hear.

Well, I just checked out Youtube, and someone posted the whole Cinderella TV version with Julie! I immediately "favorited" it, and will watch it when I have a big block of time. I'll go back & see if someone did the same for the 1960's version.

Custom Title
    Yay, you found it! If you look back, it's how I came to start this thread. So glad you are planning to watch! It's delectable, and I'm sure you will be enchanted. Keep in mind as you watch that it was LIVE, and that all the costume and scene changes and suchlike were done in real time. Amazing work. They must have rehearsed like demons. Oh, and to add challenge to the rehearsal and performance time, Julie was doing My Fair Lady on Broadway during that period. Report back to us when you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yay, you found it! If you look back, it's how I came to start this thread. So glad you are planning to watch! It's delectable, and I'm sure you will be enchanted. Keep in mind as you watch that it was LIVE, and that all the costume and scene changes and suchlike were done in real time. Amazing work. They must have rehearsed like demons. Oh, and to add challenge to the rehearsal and performance time, Julie was doing My Fair Lady on Broadway during that period. Report back to us when you see it.
    Duh, I should I read your first post more carefully! I would have known that the whole production was on Youtube. Well, after a few fitful starts (the screen freezing on me, etc.), I got to watch the whole production. Julie rules!!!!! I thought it was pretty funny when the king had trouble getting into his pants (& the queen's comments about that).

Was Kaye Ballard Ado Annie in "Oklahoma" (original Broadway cast or movie)?

Custom Title
    My belief is that the original stage Ado Annie was Celeste Holm, and the movie one was Gloria Grahame. Let me look it up.

I'm so glad you liked the Julie Andrews version. (Not that I'm surprised or anything.) It's amazing how she takes the sting out of Cinderella's situation without losing the feeling of aspiration and longing that one should always get from her. One of my favorite parts of this production is how she phrases "In My Own Little Corner." I know you love Lesley Ann Warren, but to my mind there's no comparison, and this song clinches the deal.

ETA: I looked up in Wiki and IMDB and can confirm the two Ado Annies. Wiki even had a list of well-known people who played each part, but Kaye Ballard wasn't on it. She still could have played Annie in a revival, though. Isn't she a wonderful actress?

I'll always "my" Julie! What a great singer for so many years (beginning as a child)!

My parents had an LP recording of "Oklahoma," & IIRC, Kaye Ballard was Ado Annie on that particular recording. They usually bought the Broadway Cast recordings of the musicals, but maybe this was a different cast for a change. At any rate, Kaye's portrayal of Ado Annie on the record was very convincing for me. Today I have the CD recording (London cast) revival of Oklahoma (with Hugh Jackman). We also have the movie (from the 1950's) on DVD, a no brainer, since we R&H musicals.

Custom Title
    I'm glad to hear Ballard did play Annie. She has a wonderful voice, and of course she's a terrific comedienne.

I saw the Hugh Jackman version on TV. Wonderful! I was sorry he didn't win an Oscar for Les Mis, but it's hard to compete with Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. At least we all got to see a movie musical with a real star who could really sing, thanks to Jackman.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2