Some Cinderellas | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Some Cinderellas

My belief is that the original stage Ado Annie was Celeste Holm, and the movie one was Gloria Grahame. Let me look it up.

I'm so glad you liked the Julie Andrews version. (Not that I'm surprised or anything.) It's amazing how she takes the sting out of Cinderella's situation without losing the feeling of aspiration and longing that one should always get from her. One of my favorite parts of this production is how she phrases "In My Own Little Corner." I know you love Lesley Ann Warren, but to my mind there's no comparison, and this song clinches the deal.

ETA: I looked up in Wiki and IMDB and can confirm the two Ado Annies. Wiki even had a list of well-known people who played each part, but Kaye Ballard wasn't on it. She still could have played Annie in a revival, though. Isn't she a wonderful actress?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll always :love: "my" Julie! What a great singer for so many years (beginning as a child)!

My parents had an LP recording of "Oklahoma," & IIRC, Kaye Ballard was Ado Annie on that particular recording. They usually bought the Broadway Cast recordings of the musicals, but maybe this was a different cast for a change. At any rate, Kaye's portrayal of Ado Annie on the record was very convincing for me. Today I have the CD recording (London cast) revival of Oklahoma (with Hugh Jackman). We also have the movie (from the 1950's) on DVD, a no brainer, since we :love: R&H musicals.

I'm glad to hear Ballard did play Annie. She has a wonderful voice, and of course she's a terrific comedienne.

I saw the Hugh Jackman version on TV. Wonderful! I was sorry he didn't win an Oscar for Les Mis, but it's hard to compete with Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. At least we all got to see a movie musical with a real star who could really sing, thanks to Jackman.