Kwan; Cohen; Seguri; Arakawa | Golden Skate

Kwan; Cohen; Seguri; Arakawa

Given the 2002 Olys'among the top 4 skaters and the unpedictable results:

Do you see this Worlds as a definite win for someone? Who?

Can you imagine a surprise first place finish? Who?

Do you think you can actually predict how the podium will look? Who will be on it? Who misses it?

Joe

kasia16

On the Ice
I hope Michelle win... She's incredible all the time...my dream is she will have ten Worlds gold medals like Sonja Henie and of course gold in Turin ;)

I agree with Joe: Shizuka, Fumie and Sasha will fight for podium and maybe for winning:)

My dark horse is Miki Ando. She should be in first five and even take a podium.

I hope also one or two of European girls will be in first six (I think it could be: Kostner, Liashenko, Sebestyen and maybe Sokolova)

we will see after Europeans :)

dewet

Final Flight
Yes, Michelle. I honestly can't see anyone beating a clean 6 triple Kwan, unless they land one or two 3/3s. A clean 3/3 Kwan is almost unbeatable with what I've seen of the ladies this season.

Maybe...., just maybe, Sasha, if she's clean and Michelle makes mistakes.

Do you think you can actually predict how the podium will look? Who will be on it? Who misses it?
Lets see, Michelle of course, Sasha, and Fumie. I'd like to see Shizuka on over Sasha, but Sasha's more favored among the judges.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kirk..... Kirk...... Kirk.....

yup... Kirk's going to turn some heads... which way I'm not sure... but I have my hopes....

Fossi

Final Flight
Unless Kwan and Cohen seriously faulter, I don't see Kirk on top the podium. Me lurves Jenny Kirk, but I think her skating is juniorish compared to Kwan and Cohen.
The one to watch, IMO, will be Arakawa. She just might pull it off. A clean program with a 3/3 will be enough to overtake Kwan. Sasha would be easier to overtake for Arakawa as she outskated her during the season, and has more endurance than Sasha. Just want to add that Jennifer Kirk is the most beautiful skater I have ever seen. She is just a beauty!
If all skate clean I think it will be
Kwan
Arakawa
Cohen
Fumie

If Kwan faulters:
Arakawa
Cohen
Kwan
Fumie

If Sasha and Kwan faulter:
Arakawa
Fumie
Kwan
Cohen

Tove

On the Ice
Arikawa could actually win this, with her power skating...but she cannot make a single mistake....

Kwan must skate totally clean, so must Fumie....I still haven't seen Sasha skate clean when it counts, but Fumie and Michelles nerves are proven to be good....

I must say I personally have a soft spot for Arikawa, and her fab spark:)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

ME: yes, but that was the Olympics, where everybody goes all out (thus the unpredictability). It is thee competition, all things lead toward this, not the other way around. And as such, skaters work toward this goal once every four years, and save their best for it. During the intervening years, they try to make sure not to get injured while working on more difficult elements in preparation for The Big One! JMHO.

ME: yes, of course, it is Michelle Kwan......especially as she doesn't have any competition now since Sarah Hughes basically retired & Irina Slutskaya is currently facing a life-threatening illness, which may never see her back on the ice (at least not the way she was)......and the others/challengers are not as consistent as Michelle. Also, the only one that can rival Michelle on the presentation mark is Sasha Cohen, whom is not as consistent as Michelle. Not only that, but Michelle also consistently lands more triples than ALL the others (fact). Thus, hands down Michelle wins ~ just take a look at her stats ~ no more need be said. JMHO.

ME: come on, no way, especially at Worlds (same goes for US Nationals). :D

ME: the only sure thing is Michelle.....no ifs, whats, buts about it......fact. Everybody else is a toss-up (no lie).

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing Miki Ando & Carolina Kostner the most (no lie). Hopefully they'll both finish in the Top 10. Btw, though I admire both of these phenoms equally, I have to say that right now Carolina Kostner has the edge in terms of being hands down the fastest skater on the senior circuit (bar none), having beautiful fully rotated 3/3s (so does Miki btw), covering the entire ice on one foot (as concerns footwork), fast & innovative spins, and having a pleasant musicality & presentation about her. I'll even go so far as to say if she lands all her triples & 3/3s (which is a big if), she might even grab the bronze (no b.s.). However, I can't say the same for Miki, even if she lands her phenomenal 4S & 3Z/3R ~ still think she needs to up her speed & not slow down on the jumps, spin faster, do more footwork, and up her presentation & polish a bit more. However, I wouldn't count her out for a Top 5 Finish.

***Note: also looking forward to seeing everybody else, especially Jennifer Kirk (goooooooo Jenny) & Shizuka Arakawa (land that 3Z/3T)! Make the Top 5 you two!:)^D***

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Btw, I haven't lost hope for Sasha Cohen......no way.....and am crossing my fingers that either she makes the podium for the first time ever (yes) or at least finishes no lower than 4th. I DO BELIEVE! :love: Mostly I just want her to skate clean (no lie) like she did last year during QR (no matter where she places as long as she does this). :)

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3632169/1075883797883_asban.jpg

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
I don't think this is a runaway competition at all...I think it will go to the one who does the cleanest and most technically precise/artistically open program. That said, I'm predicting and American and two Japanese ladies on the podium...I won't say who, or in what order...don't want to jinx myself! :)

Kasey

Arwen

Rinkside
I think Michelle will have no trouble winning if she skates like she skated the LP at Nationals. I would also like to see Fumie on the podium, she is such a lovely skater!!

I don't think it will be a "runaway" competition either.
Kwan, Cohen, Suguri, Arikawa and Kirk all have a shot at Gold IMO. It's going to be very interesting and exciting.
I personally would like to see on the podium in 1st: Cohen; 2nd: Kirk and 3rd: Arikawa.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think Suguri will beat Kwan. She (S) is not that good at racking up the jumps so Kwan would really have to have an off night for that to happen. I think either Arakawa and Cohen might wind up above Kwan if Kwan were not clean and they were. I think this year Cohen will surpass Suguri and probably be on the podium. The surprise winner of it all would be Arakawa. I doubt that Kirk would be given gold no matter how well she skated but I do think she could make the podium. Her jumps are getting bigger and she can land a 3/3 and I think she will in all three programs. I hope she does get a medal as I really like her spirit. Of course, I love Kwan, I admit it.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If Sokolova is hitting 4 different 3/3's in practice now, I don't think it's going to be a walk for the US and Japanese Ladies. Once she has the strength to hit them, I don't think she will falter. One of the joys of Euros and Worlds last year was watching a skater for whom I was never nervous about a landing.

alain707

Rinkside
Don't count out the European skaters ! Sebastyen (just won the European championship), Liashenko (a solid and experienced competitor), Sokolova (she's back with two 3-3s in the Euros' freeskate), Kostner (the star-to-be, she completed a 3-3 in both the short and long at Euros) to name the best of them. I expect to see two European girls in the last group at Worlds ... battling for the medals.

Matt

On the Ice
As I have said before, you can never count out Michelle Kwan, no matter how well the rest of the world skates...

This being said, here's what I think

1. Kwan
2. Arikawa
3. Suguri
4. Cohen (these two could just as easily be reversed; it's so close)
5. Sebestyen
6. Liashenko
7. Sokolova
8. Kostner
9. Ando/Poykio
10. Kirk

I agree with Hockeyfan and Alain. I think there will be a European lady on the podium. The three mentioned by Alain seem to be peaking at the right time. I think they will be ready.

Does anyone know how long it has been since Europe was not represented on the ladies' podium?

Mathman

Ogre Mage

On the Ice

Michelle Kwan is the favorite, but I don't feel quite as confident about her chances as I did last year. Nevertheless, it is her title to lose.

Sasha is the obvious choice, but I have doubts about her ability to skate clean through all three phases of the competition. If by some chance she can, her program this year is better than Michelle's. If Arakawa can peak at Worlds, she could be a definite dark horse. She's improved in a MAJOR way. I think Fumie will be on the podium, but I only see her winning if the others bomb.

No. But I will say this.

Michelle is the gold-medal favorite. She will finish no worse than 2nd.

Sasha, Fumie and Shizuka are pushing Michelle for the title and fighting among themselves for the other spots on the podium.

Sebestyen, Sokolova and possibly Slutskaya are in turn pushing Sasha, Fumie and Shizuka for a podium spot, but they have almost no chance of winning.

kosjenka

On the Ice
To tell you the truth I am of sick watching the same competitors going for the same places every year.
I would like everybody to skate their best and I would give all the medals like this:
1.GOLD:
Irina Slutskaya
Sasha Cohen
Michelle Kwan- I do not like anything about her, but she amazes me with her coming back every time.
Fumie Suguri
2.SILVER
Elena Sokolova
Julia Sebestyen
Elena Liashenko
Shizuka Arikawa
Yoshie Onda
3. BRONZE
Carolina Kostner
Miki Ando
Jenny Kirk

Too bad it isnt possible.:cry:
Hope so see Irina wining the gold, or Sasha. It would be nice to see Fumie with the medal, but so all 12 that I named on the list.
dunja

ouridol

On the Ice
I think that Sasha, MK, Arakawa, and Suguri all have a chance if they skate clean. They are the most 'complete' skaters. I lovve Jenny Kirk :love: but I doubt that even if she skates clean the judges would be willing to put her on the podium under the 6 .0 scale. I guess we'll just have to see, but I hope that this IS Sasha's moment!! I also want Caro, and Miki Ando to do well. I think the top 4 ladies are: Sasha, MK, Arakawa, and Fumie. I think the ladies podium will most likely be Sasha and MK for sure, and a tossup between Fumie and Shizuka. We'll see.;)

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
IIRC the last time that a European lady was not on the podium at Worlds was 1992 (Yamaguchi, Kerrigan and Lu).