Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Frank Carroll interview

Custom Title
    I remember reading something similar once, during Katarina Witt's reign. Not to take away from Witt's achievements, but one editor pointed out that even with the Cold War, people from German-speaking countries tended to feel an affinity for one another, so that a West German judge might prefer an East German skater over, say, an American one. It wasn't collusion so much as a preference for the style of that skater, as today European judges tend to prefer the way Kostner executes a movement. Human beings aren't machines; their perceptions are colored by their upbringing, what they grew up enjoying, and their cultural mindset.

I just watched it again. Let’s see here…just to pick some of Mr. Carroll’s comments at random… Here is his response to the question of whether he was a better teacher of toe jumps than of edge jumps, with particular reference to Michelle Kwan’s loop jump.

If you go back to some of her You Tube things now, to me it’s amazing to watch Michelle. It’s amazing. I can’t tell you what pleasure I’ve gotten just in the last couple of weeks looking back at her videos, and when you see Salome and she starts out with a triple loop it’s just the most beautiful triple jump -- she starts backward totally and jumps in the air and lands backward like a million dollars, so I don’t see much difference between my toe jump technique and my edge jump technique.

But I’ve got to tell you something about Michelle. If you go back and look at 1996 or if you look at the year 2001 and you see her triple-triple, and you look at the year 2000, then you see some of her show programs like to Les Miserables, the On My Own, and even Pocahontas, which I didn’t want her to do because I though t it was such a hokey thing, and you look at her interpretation of the music, and her head, and her use of arms without looking at her feet, the emotion, the beauty of the flow across the ice, the dynamic landings, there’s no one in the world who skates like that.

I’m sorry, I don’t care whether you’re adding up beans in a pot for difficulty…I mean, no one exists like Michelle, with that beauty of movement, that power, that imterpretation, you know, the technical accuracy. You know, she was one of a kind and I don’t see anyone coming up that looks like that. I’m sorry, I just don’t. I don’t.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What a satisfying thing for any fan of Michelle to hear

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What a satisfying thing for any fan of Michelle to hear
    Well, it's pretty much the truth Frank speaks.

On the Ice
    I loved the whole interview and can't wait for Part 2.

While it was great to hear Frank's stories about so many of our past favorite skaters, what fascinated me the most was what he had to say about the scoring of Ten-Chan at Worlds. Frank knows IJS as well or better than anyone. And it's gratifying to know that he dislikes it as much as I do.

Custom Title
    This interview is a part of the history of our beloved sport.
    6,0 in the old, and 10,0 in the COP system.
    Do you know when the 2nd part will be broadcasted?
    I'm unpatient...

Custom Title
    Tuesday. (SO I guess, tomorrow, since its technically Monday)

Custom Title
    It is absolutely a sideway notice:
    Is that Frank Carrol appartment in the background? It is absolutely beautiful and tasteful!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I just watched it again. Let’s see here…just to pick some of Mr. Carroll’s comments at random… Here is his response to the question of whether he was a better teacher of toe jumps than of edge jumps, with particular reference to Michelle Kwan’s loop jump.
    I was so happy to hear the way Carroll expressed his opinion of Michelle, not just with affection but with admiration. He articulated the reasons she is on my Forever List. Even if skaters take to doing quintuple jumps, she'll still stand out.

Custom Title
    Loved this interview!
    Really am enjoying all Jenny & Dave's interviews & recaps so much.

Custom Title
    But I’ve got to tell you something about Michelle. If you go back and look at 1996 or if you look at the year 2001 and you see her triple-triple, and you look at the year 2000, then you see some of her show programs like to Les Miserables, the On My Own, and even Pocahontas, which I didn’t want her to do because I though t it was such a hokey thing, and you look at her interpretation of the music, and her head, and her use of arms without looking at her feet, the emotion, the beauty of the flow across the ice, the dynamic landings, there’s no one in the world who skates like that.

I’m sorry, I don’t care whether you’re adding up beans in a pot for difficulty…I mean, no one exists like Michelle, with that beauty of movement, that power, that imterpretation, you know, the technical accuracy. You know, she was one of a kind and I don’t see anyone coming up that looks like that. I’m sorry, I just don’t. I don’t.
    OMG I so agree. I wasn't originally a fan of Les, On My Own and Pocahontas for the same reasons but I just thought I'd watch it one more time and interpretation of them just hit me. They are now favs of mine.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    After all these years, I still think Linda was robbed.

After listening to Frank's remarks, I'm certain of it.

Custom Title
    Yeah robbed by a german cabal that ran figure skating!! But just for ladies of course because Jan Hoffman lost! It's so political! Go against the German cabal! Vote American! Please!

Custom Title
    I don't pretend to know what happened, or how anyone won that year. All I can say is that it would have been a much worse injustice if Robin Cousins had lost the gold than it was for Linda Fratianne to be beaten by Annett Potzsche. Both those ladies were excellent but not great skaters. Cousins was one of the best of all time, and Hoffmann was no more than ordinary.

I'm kind of surprised that Cousins isn't talked about more these days. He was an innovative skater, very fluid, with grand jumps. Unlike Evan Lysacek, Cousins made his height work for him in jumps and movements. He also had a long and productive pro career, where he skated to interesting choreography and did some choreography himself. He was a standout at the Landover world pro championships for some years.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Part 2 of the Frank Carroll interview is now up:

http://www.theskatinglesson.com/fran...erview-part-2/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast