Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek expects to compete in Sochi

Custom Title
    Give it up already, Lysacek.

Men's skating has moved on from your mediocrity and personally I think it's really super-arrogant that he expects to just stroll into Nationals after not having competed in three years and win or come second. Hope Max, Ross, Ricky, Joshua and Jason all kick his over-rated orange hiney.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Give it up already, Lysacek.

Men's skating has moved on from your mediocrity and personally I think it's really super-arrogant that he expects to just stroll into Nationals after not having competed in three years and win or come second. Hope Max, Ross, Ricky, Joshua and Jason all kick his over-rated orange hiney.
    ROTFL very well said. Granted mens skating still is at a very low state, which Chan falling 4 or 5 times and winning every event, but even Chan with 4 or 5 falls now that he is doing quads is way better than a clean Lysacek (I mean in terms of the actual skating merit, before even getting into the extra points Chan would get for being Chan).

Anyway the USFSA actually were part of him not competing at Nationals 2012. That shows he is not a USFSA favorite anymore. He probably wont get any help or reputation points from the judges if he skates at Nationals, and without that help he is unlikely to outskate a handful of the current U.S men.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    There are certainly a lot of nay-sayers on the thread. Chiming in with a contrasting opinion...

I don't know if Evan is seriously about his Olympic bid or not...

But, think about it... There was certainly not much from the men at the WC that would scare him away.

I've heard he's working on the quad. Fine.

However, his quad-less Olympic SP/LP might have won the WC this year. I think it would almost certainly have medaled.

We can poetically "ooh and ahh" how Chan, Hanyu, Dai, and so forth woulda/shoulda/coulda skated. But at the most important event of the year, less than one year out from the Olympic Games... it wasn't good from any of the main challengers.

By the way... I don't think Plushenko was intimidated by what he saw, either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    But, think about it... There was certainly not much from the men at the WC that would scare him away.

I've heard he's working on the quad. Fine.

However, his quad-less Olympic SP/LP might have won the WC this year. I think it would almost certainly have medaled.
    I highly doubt Lysacek's Olympics programs could have won WC this year. Ten had his errors, but he had quads in both programs (unlike Lysacek) and far better quality jumps (especially the 3A) anyways. If Ten wasn't able to beat Chan, it's highly unlikely Lysacek would have. It's not like Lysacek is a shining beacon of superior skating skills, choreography or interpretation.

That said, I think Lysacek could have medaled (bronze at best), but 2013 Worlds was pretty much a disastrous competition in one way or another for every single top male skater except for Denis Ten. Lysacek's Olympic programs have pretty much zero chance of winning (or even medalling) at either 2011 or 2012 Worlds and I think that's pretty indicative of something. It's far too risky for Lysacek to hope that all the men would have a collective meltdown again at Sochi...it could happen, I guess. But he'd be a fool to hope for it, and I doubt he is, if he's prattling about getting a quad even when he hasn't successfully landed one in competition for many years. He knows he has to skate better than he did at the Olympics to compete in the field today.

Custom Title
    It's not 2010 when quad value was lower. Lysacek's Olympic SP/LP won't give him any chance to touch the 2013's world podium, not to mention the WC. He couldn't have beaten Aaron at 2013 US Nationals either.

Gosh, hasn't he felt tiring to beat the drum the same way over and over?

Custom Title
    There are some who believe his steadiness in Vancouver unnerved his main rival, Plushenko, who was sloppy in the free skate while Lysacek was near-perfect.
    I think it's far more likely that Plushenko barely knew Lysacek existed until Plushenko won the silver medal that night behind him in Vancouver.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    The beauty... and the heartbreak... of skating is that skaters have to deliver the goods on ice under the pressure of the moment and the scrutiny of the judges. Denis Ten aside... the men failed this year, some to a greater extent than others.

I'm not predicting that Lysacek will even skate to make the Olympic team, but I think it's more likely than I did a year ago.

I bet he and Plushenko watched the WC, and both got a boost in their determination to try again.

Setting aside the technical aspect, I don't think the PCS scores we saw for flawed performances in London will fly Sochi, particularly when there are potentially two OGM in the competition.

I hope they're both in physical condition to make a run for it. It will make for a terrific season.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    To address the meltdown issue...

I'm not sure I've got my facts straight on skating order... but in an Olympic field that includes them... wouldn't Lysacek and Plushenko both have to skate early in the SP?

If they do, and rock this house with some monster scores, then I predict the number of meltdowns would exceed what we saw in London.

I know they're not everyone's favorites... but they both have a fairly solid record of weathering competition pressure and at least staying on their feet, something our current crop of men do not have.

Custom Title
    Almost Everything about Lysaceks 2010 programs are worth less or don't exist. One less step sequence in the short. One in the fs was moved to just goe. Less goe on some jumps. Quads worth more. Sure level 4 step sequences are easier to get and may be the only area where he would have got more points than less. But overall step sequences are less important. It is a lot different and even the exact same performances wouldn't have even medaled. Quads cam back because they are worth doing because more points are there now. His sp wouldnt have been worth 90! Not at all!

Custom Title
    Lysacek is no Plushenko. I just hope that Lysacek won't end up like Johnny Weir.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    ^^^ Agreed, but I presume he would engage a coach and choreographer who are aware of the changes in CoP and construct a program that address current requirements.

And I know he needs a quad... in interviews he has said he needs a quad... in the past (ok, the distant past) he has delivered quads... so I don't think it's impossible that he will achieve it. In fact, he may be in better health and more able to do it simply because he hasn't been beating his body up for the past several years like some of the medal favorites.

Look at the speculation this has brought to our board lately! I hope he does it to bring a little drama and excitement back!

Custom Title
    We can poetically "ooh and ahh" how Chan, Hanyu, Dai, and so forth woulda/shoulda/coulda skated. But at the most important event of the year, less than one year out from the Olympic Games... it wasn't good from any of the main challengers.

By the way... I don't think Plushenko was intimidated by what he saw, either.
    Except, Ten did it. 2 solid programs. We always seem to forget about Denis Ten. Denis Ten is the upgraded version of Evan Lysacek, with much better artistry.

Also, you may say Evan wasn't intimidated by anyone out of the field at WC, and while that may be true, he should be intimidated by the amount of technical proficiency in this group. No Quad? Don't bother. Go back and look at the protocols. The Quad isn't a luxury, it's a necessity and not just in the long, but in the short. Don't bother trying to come and play if you don't have at least two.

Also, I may be one of Chan's biggest critics, but he does do the quad and constantly. Honestly, I would take a 2-Fall Chan with two quads over a clean Lysacek. (I really, can't say that I would do that with very many others though.)

Banned
    LOL I also would take a 2 fall 2 quad Chan over Lysacek anyday, and I am SURE the judges would have as well, and will next year even though I have a feeling Chan will lose some judging favortism after the Worlds debacle, not enough for even a clean Evan to be a threat. Now I wouldnt take a 2 fall/2 quad Chan over the Ten that skated at Worlds, but over Evan easy. Even if Evan had a quad-triple in both programs and skated cleanly I am sure he would lose to the Chan of Worlds, even with all his mistakes, especialy with the huge lead Chan would have over Evan after the SP (even if Evan did a quad-triple in the SP as well). Evan's LP PB was achieved with a clean quad-triple at 2007 U.S Nationals and didnt even reach 170. At his own Nationals! His Olympic LP with a quad-triple would have scored in the low 170s (aka lower thna Chan and Ten's LPs at Worlds, and lower than what Takahashi, Hanyu, and Fernandez all have managed this year, some more than once), but that was with the obviously boosted PCS he was getting as the reigning World Champion, which he clearly would not get today.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post
    Except, Ten did it. 2 solid programs. We always seem to forget about Denis Ten. Denis Ten is the upgraded version of Evan Lysacek, with much better artistry.
    Denis Ten has been very much a headcase. This past World, an unusual Ten showed up. Just like in 2010 US Nationals, an unusual Jeremy Abbott showed up. I don't think anyone could guarantee the same tough Ten will show up the next season. I won't write him off. We'll see.

Evan is a Wc and OGM. Too bad that rankles. Ten is not the artistic upgrade. He ws very lucky. Will he do as well? No, Evan was consistent. Quads are much harder for tall lanky skaters. Evan has some great skates. Go back and watch. His progress was always there, and he deserved that win. deal with it detractors of Evan. Yes, he's outgunned now when the top 5 skate great, but they usually don't perform two clean skates. The rules change with IJS, thus the winners. Give Evan his due. He didn't win due to hard work alone. He has innate talent and is very exciting in his best programs. I think he really wants to try. Weir did not get slammed like this and he was awful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast