Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek expects to compete in Sochi

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Evan is a Wc and OGM. Too bad that rankles. Ten is not the artistic upgrade. He ws very lucky. Will he do as well? No, Evan was consistent. Quads are much harder for tall lanky skaters. Evan has some great skates. Go back and watch. His progress was always there, and he deserved that win. deal with it detractors of Evan. Yes, he's outgunned now when the top 5 skate great, but they usually don't perform two clean skates. The rules change with IJS, thus the winners. Give Evan his due. He didn't win due to hard work alone. He has innate talent and is very exciting in his best programs. I think he really wants to try. Weir did not get slammed like this and he was awful.
    If you read my post, I was... well, as positive as I could be about Evan. I don't detract from his OGM. He was the winner. He was extremely clean and did what he set out to do in Vancouver. Good for him. However, I think he was the weakest Men's OGM since Petrenko. He doesn't need me, I'm sure, to justify his OGM, I'm a nobody. However, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend he is this world beater. He was the best in an poor quad for the men: Plushenko was on the decline, Lambiel can back for sh*ts and giggles, Buttle retired (and by the way, Buttle did what Evan did, except he did it 10000x better.) I mean Brian Joubert won a world title in that Quad, COME ON. Also, don't sit here and tell me Lysacek was more talented than Weir or Abbott. It's a testament to his hard work combined with taking advantage where he could that got him his titles, but he wasn't more talented than Weir.

His exuberance always came off as manufactured except for one time (and that was in 2006, that Long Program was as authentic from him as I have ever seen since then, and I loved it). His artistry could be defined as "more is more". It was almost comical, his "Masculine Artistry," as if being an artist makes you feminine or not as much of a man. Over-exuberance isn't artistry and can come off as tacky, especially with his body type, it looked almost reckless, in a bad way.

Is Ten inconsistent? Sure. However, he's with Evan's coach, and it made a MARKED difference in his skating. He's healthy now, but I will reserve judgment until I see Ten's skates this next season; but I do expect him to have more of the form that we saw at this years WC than I do in his past. Also, his artistry is very much an improvement on Evan's. I actually find he know when and were to be exuberant and then playful, and then comical. Ten innate feel and charisma totally can through in those two skates, and was much more refine than anything I ever saw Evan put out on the ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Denis Ten has been very much a headcase. This past World, an unusual Ten showed up. Just like in 2010 US Nationals, an unusual Jeremy Abbott showed up. I don't think anyone could guarantee the same tough Ten will show up the next season. I won't write him off. We'll see.
    Except Jeremy Abbott ALWAYS showed up like that at Nationals. It WASNT unusual. He always peaked at Nats from 2008-2010.

Also, I wasn't talking about consistency wise is the upgraded version. I was talking about that Ten does the quad. It's not an if/maybe thing for him, like it was for Evan. Also, I mean artistically, mostly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Evan intended to compete this season. However, he was forced to WD from Skate America due to injury and subsequently had surgery on November 20. He was not cleared to resume on ice training until 2.5 weeks before US Nationals.

There have been many reports that, prior to the injury, Lysacek was skating at a very high level with a quad. Now the question is whether Lysacek can fully recover from the surgery and regain all of his jumps back.
    Of course that is easy to say since he never competed. Evan is a very lucky man. I don't think he personally should push his luck. He was vry luck to have won ogm in 2010. Sometimes we should accept the grace and not push our luck.

I just feel firstly evan has used up his luck and it is time for someone else to share the joy of OGM.

Second, Evan has to improve artistically with hanyu, Daisuke and even that world champion guy everyone seems to hate on this board.

Third, while he is a competitior and has a better chance at the us nationals at the olympics he will have to not only deal with another American but two Canadians, Joubert, Three Japanese men and Fernandez let alone Verner and Brezina and Ten.

It is as though he just couldn't stand not being int he spotlight. Of course he will have vera wang on his side and dressing him. By the flip of a coin he basically won OGM sure he works hard but so do many others.

It is time for Evan to be humbled just as so many hav ein the past.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    ROTFL very well said. Granted mens skating still is at a very low state, which Chan falling 4 or 5 times and winning every event, but even Chan with 4 or 5 falls now that he is doing quads is way better than a clean Lysacek (I mean in terms of the actual skating merit, before even getting into the extra points Chan would get for being Chan).

Anyway the USFSA actually were part of him not competing at Nationals 2012. That shows he is not a USFSA favorite anymore. He probably wont get any help or reputation points from the judges if he skates at Nationals, and without that help he is unlikely to outskate a handful of the current U.S men.
    Now pangtonfan let's not get too hyperbolic lol. Chan is not currently winning with 4 or 5 falls maybe int he past but not now. Put back those claws. But Evan would have to up his pcs and skating skills not ot mention get a few quads. I finally got the joke about the orange hiney -s omeone is suggesting he does fake and bake.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    The beauty... and the heartbreak... of skating is that skaters have to deliver the goods on ice under the pressure of the moment and the scrutiny of the judges. Denis Ten aside... the men failed this year, some to a greater extent than others.

I'm not predicting that Lysacek will even skate to make the Olympic team, but I think it's more likely than I did a year ago.

I bet he and Plushenko watched the WC, and both got a boost in their determination to try again.

Setting aside the technical aspect, I don't think the PCS scores we saw for flawed performances in London will fly Sochi, particularly when there are potentially two OGM in the competition.

I hope they're both in physical condition to make a run for it. It will make for a terrific season.
    I hope both get knocked down a peg or two. Both are arrogant. Both had their opportunitiy and both should let someone else have their time in the sun. WE all deserve our one momen tin time. They have had their's now give it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I hope both get knocked down a peg or two. Both are arrogant. Both had their opportunitiy and both should let someone else have their time in the sun. WE all deserve our one momen tin time. They have had their's now give it up...
    I don't necessarily agree with this sentiment. I think that they should get sent if they truly, truly deserve it.

Custom Title
    Yeah I don't necessarily subscribe to this. People deserve their time in the sun, for sure, but if Plushenko and Lysacek better than others, then they're better than others.

Also, its REALLY hard to give up something you've been dedicated to your WHOLE life. I may want Lysacek to go away, but I certainly understand why he is so drawn to competing again. There's nothing else like the feeling competition, especially when you do well. It's not that you beat others, but it's that the goal you have been working for (in some cases, for a decade or more) has come to fruition. Immensely satisfying and when its over... you feel a sense of sadness, sometimes, that it's over. It's a long journey, and lots of top athletes get nostalgic for that feeling after they're done.

Custom Title
    I don't subscribe to this and never have. If the younger skaters want their time in the sun, then they need to earn it by beating the old guys.

What I do object to is the difference in this case is that since Vancouver, Plushenko HAS been competing and fighting and working, putting himself out there, testing himself. What has Lysacek been doing? Nada, unless you count endless interviews talking about Sochi.

In the end it's like Jeremy Abbott making comments after the SP at Nationals that he wanted to prepare well for London. You have to actually earn it. We all saw Abbott then with egg on his face when Aaron, Miner and Farris all skated much better than him in the LP and he ended up third. The exact same thing could happen to Lysacek - you can talk about Sochi all you want but he's still got to earn his spot and with Aaron, Miner, Dornbush, Abbott, Farris and Brown...well...that many into two doesn't go.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    By the way... I don't think Plushenko was intimidated by what he saw, either.
    Neither do I. On the other hand as Evan was the first to skate and still leading as Plushy´s turn as the last skater came, there must have been an influence of some sort. The team Plushy very likely thought, that Plushy by doing a quad will win and he did not do all he could have done (left out a double toe to make a combination). The situation was underestimated by the Plushy team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Neither do I. On the other hand as Evan was the first to skate and still leading as Plushy´s turn as the last skater came, there must have been an influence of some sort. The team Plushy very likely thought, that Plushy by doing a quad will win and he did not do all he could have done (left out a double toe to make a combination). The situation was underestimated by the Plushy team.
    Just amazed people would really think they understand what happened during the competition. Same to the comments by the skater boy about old people quitting. Most of the skaters earn their own spot in the sports by doing better than the old guys, why today's young skaters should be different?

But nevertheless, I have hard time imaging Evan competing again and be as competitive as Plushenko in 2010. Good luck to him.

I think that Evan will end up humiliating himself. He really shouldn't even talk about going to Sochi, unless he can make a Yuna-esque comeback, with all big tricks intact. Since Yuna made a very successful comeback and positioned herself as a leading lady again, whatever he tries will be compared to her, as he's the reigning OGM on the men's side.

Custom Title
    I understand people not agreeing with my sentiments; I just like spreading the wealth and I feel imho especially Evan you got really lucky - you shouldn't push your luck or wonder if karma will work against him at some point in life so to speak. I agree if they earn it then let them go but I am cheering for I guess what I consider justice or sharing of the wealth. I also think it is sad sometimes when skaters stick around simply for the Olympics - sadly if we were be honest maybe if skaters really thought about it - is my entire worth based upon going and winning the Olympics? So few medals so many dreams. I remember one skater saying all those years and money and yes while it was fun it was about Olympic glory and once that was shattered it was like I am in my mid to late 20's with no or limited education and or life experience as to employment now what. Oh I guess I can coach...

Custom Title
    Evan's big talk is good for skating though. I do wonder how good that quad is - of course it was going well before the injury - don't we hear that all the time. Really I wouldn't put m uch weight to the quad until we see it in competition and it is consistent. Maybe he will be like Yuna but unlike Yuna he didn't have the big trick - quad and his skating skills and artistry were a level below Yuna's and definitely below Hanyu, Fernandez, Chan and Takahashi.

Custom Title
    Once upon a time, far far away.
    Nice try for money making in some way. Just my feelings.....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post
    Is Ten inconsistent? Sure. However, he's with Evan's coach, and it made a MARKED difference in his skating. He's healthy now, but I will reserve judgment until I see Ten's skates this next season; but I do expect him to have more of the form that we saw at this years WC than I do in his past. Also, his artistry is very much an improvement on Evan's. I actually find he know when and were to be exuberant and then playful, and then comical. Ten innate feel and charisma totally can through in those two skates, and was much more refine than anything I ever saw Evan put out on the ice.
    How long has Ten been with Frank Carroll? Ten has been with Carroll shortly after 2010 Worlds. It's been more than three seasons. Finally Ten has broken out at the last event of the third season.

True that Ten has artistry way above Lysacek has. But don't carry it over too much. I've seen many times Lysacek's skating much more heart pounding and fire filled. If you say that Ten's 2013 World LP was one of the best on Ten's artistry and refinement, then Ten is a hopeless case, because Ten's 2013 LP was very much reserved and nervously done. Lysacek was much better in that except Lysacek doesn't have a quad.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast