Lysacek expects to compete in Sochi | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Lysacek expects to compete in Sochi

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
LOL well the men might not wear a dress per say, but some of the huge poofy costumes I have seen might as well be one.

yeah grow your hair long, put on a glove and or a pouffy shirt or low cut shirt and that makes you artistic lol (or your granny's tablecloth with nothing else on it and add a Brian Boitano patented forlong stare into the heavens and you are the king or...never mind of interpretation. :)lol

I do have a soft spot for Stojko. If he can't be described as graceful, one can say that he moved with authority and smoothness. He had a similar problem to Midori Ito, and it probably was both his weakness and his strength, as it was with Ito. He is rather compact, with muscular short limbs and a stocky torso. Skaters with more core flexibility and the ability to create a long limb line might look more obviously artistic. Both he and Ito could generate a tremendous amount of force when they jumped, though, and since their extended limbs were closer to the core, they turned quickly and efficiently in the air.

Elvis had the misfortune to skate against two guys that looked like skate-god Romeos: Alexei Urmanov and Ilia Kulik.Maybe this is part of what counted against him. I still think Stojko came out well against them. Much as I love Kulik, I think that if Elvis had been healthy, he would have given Kulik a run for his money in 1998. I would not have been disappointed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To be fair Kulik outskated him in Nagano, but oh lord that giraffe shirt will forever be on the worst-dressed list. Elvis would have had a hard time even healthy competing with Kulik's flawless FS.

Your comparison to Ito is spot on. Both were true technicians and were the best female and probably the second-best male jumpers ever. You'd almost forgive the lack of natural artistry because of how impressive they were as athletes.

Their command of the ice had a beauty of its own.

And Ito at least was actually very musical. You could see by her expression how much the music meant to her.

You're right that Kulik had an amazing skate at the Olympics. His jumps were gorgeous textbook affairs (and still are today, it seems). He, like Yagudin and Plushenko, spent time with Mishin. For me, Kulik's true artistry came out later, in his pro career. He still had a kind of coltish look to some of his movements in Nagano and not as much flow as he developed later.

Bad as that giraffe jacket was, at least Kulik didn't dress like a swan prince.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Their command of the ice had a beauty of its own.

And Ito at least was actually very musical. You could see by her expression how much the music meant to her.

True, Ito wasn't the most graceful or the most beautiful but she had such a command and presence and really brought joy to her skating.