Programs to attract new fans | Golden Skate

Programs to attract new fans

gkelly

Record Breaker
Suppose you have friend who wonders why you like that figure skating stuff so much. Your friend is willing to watch 1-5 programs with you to give a try and see what all the fuss is about.

Which performance(s) do you choose?

sather

Rinkside
The most successful ones that I've proposed to my friends are Yagudin Olympics SP, Takahashi Swan Lake hip hop ver. , V/M Olympics Mahler. Yagudin's performance made them notice men's figure skating is a very masculine sport and Takahashi showed that this sport is not all about classic but also very modern and young. Everyone liked V/M's Mahler. They said it is breathtaking although they know nothing about technicality.

It feels good when my none-skating-fan-friends approve of what I like. :)

jaylee

Medalist
Hee! Thanks for starting this thread.

Alexei Yagudin: 2002 Olympics FS - for the technical content, artistry, all in one
Michelle Kwan: 2004 US Nationals FS - for the emotion and the moving audience reception
Midori Ito 1992 Olympics FS - for the awesome triple axel and amazing comeback
Yu-Na Kim: 2007 Worlds SP - for the awesomeness all around

For a fifth, I can't decide between a program by Kurt Browning, Brian Boitano's 1988 Olympic FS, a Stephane Lambiel program or Daisuke Takahashi's Swan Lake. So I guess I would make a friend watch all of them. :p

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yagudin's Olympics SP and/or LP
Michelle's Salome (Worlds) and/or Lyra Angelica (Nats)
Yuna's Danse (Worlds) and/or Gershwin (Oly)
Dai's La Strada (Olympics)
Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet (Worlds)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Really? Daisuke. HipHop SwanLake, The Eye, La Strada, Garden of Souls or Blues for Klook. Or maybe some of his amazing Ex programs. Anything from Dai works :biggrin:

I've had some friends of mine over once in a while, watching some figure skating competitions together when Eurosport showed them. And I rather got the feeling it needs the right skater, not so much the right program. And of course different viewers like different stuff for different reasons!
Anyway, as I said, everyone I've ever got to watch one of Dai's programs liked it. Mao and Kanako were quite beloved too, the same goes for Yuzuru, Jason and Javier. So I guess just judging from the newer programs:

Daisuke's In the Garden of Souls
Yuzuru's Romeo & Juliet
Javier's Chaplin
Jason's Grand Guignol
Mao Asada's Swan Lake
Kanako's Prayer for Taylor

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is what I would pick:

Michelle Kwan 2002 Olympics EX "Fields of Gold"--Because it is beautiful, and surely one of the most emotional and memorable programs ever skated.

Daisuke Takahashi 2011 NHK Trophy LP "Blues for Klook"--My favorite rendition of this unforgettable program.

Brian Joubert 2004 Europeans LP "The Matrix" or 2006 Cup of Russia LP "Romeo & Juliet/mix"--I would include one of these because Joubert is a skater who appeals to men, with his strength, jumping skills, masculinity, and often macho music choices.

Oksana Baiul 1994 Olympic SP "Swan Lake"--Because I don't know if there's ever been a more charismatic performer than Oksana Baiul in the 1993-1994 seasons.

Meryl Davis & Charlie White, 2009 Nationals LP "Samson & Delilah", 2010 Olympic SD "Bollywood", or 2013 Worlds LP "Notre Dame"--How could anyone not respond to the virtuosity/musicality of these programs?

Yuna Kim, 2013 Worlds LP "Les Miserables"--I know most would choose her Olympic programs, but this year to me was even better. I watched with my husband, who is not a fan exactly, but has viewed a great deal of skating with me since 2001. His comment: "That's the best program I've ever seen from a woman."

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I actually thought about creating a thread like this some days ago! :laugh:
I would choose something from Michelle (really, I can't choose: Fields of Gold, Salome, Tosca, Aranjuez...)
Savchenko/Szolkowy Pink Panther: I actually showed it to a couple of friends who are not FS fans, and they liked it a lot!
If the "new fan" is a young man/boy something from 2002 Yagudin/2006-2007-2008 Joubert/any Takahashi/Amodio
Yu-Na's Les Miserables
If this is a quiet and "cultural" person, T/D Bolero or V/M Mahler.

I love this thread!

I'm at work and can't take the time to read through everything, so I'll respond in more detail later, but I think a lot of you have come up with great suggestions--and some of them are already tested out on non-fans!

Daisuke certainly could pull people in. I would always include Michelle, YuNa, Yagudin, and Mao at their best. I'd use D/W's Die Fledermaus because it just floats across the ice. Gordeyeva/Grinkov in some of their pro programs, especially the ones where he grips her and spins her off the ice after the death spiral.

Kurt would bring 'em in with so many of his programs, and I'd start with the original filming of "Singin' in the Rain," because it's so magical.

I think the Duchesnays skating to "Missing" would be very powerful, because it's both modern and emotional in such a natural way, and the music is splendid and immediately accessible. Even the costumes contribute to the effect. They show that skating isn't all spangles.

Some of the pro programs of Underhill/Martini, especially "Unchained Melody"--it's jazzy and sizzling and shows that real emotion can be projected. Again, the fact that they're skating in streetclothes shows that a real guy and a real woman can be portrayed on the ice.

LRK

Record Breaker
It would depend on the friend... But considering men's is my favourite event... Well, certainly something of Plushy's - what would depend on my mood, probably. Brian, also, of course. And from recently Javi's Euros' LP, and his Worlds' Ex. Jason Brown's Ex from Junior Worlds' would be in serious consideration, if, for example, the "friend" was my brother...

Other than that, again, probably depend on my friend, and my personal mood... or whimsy... at the moment... :)

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
1) Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir's "Carmen".
2) Daisuke Takahashi's "Blues for Klook".
3) Sasha Cohen's "Dark Eyes".
4) Javier Fernandez's "Chaplin Medley".
5) Kim Yu-Na's "Concerto in F".

I'd also love to show Yu-Na's "Bond Medley", V&M's "Mahler", D&W "Die Fledermaus", Osmond's "Mambo (2012-13)", and loads more! So many amazing programs out there.

Love this thread, great idea!

EDIT: Stephanie Rosenthal's 2006 Nationals SP is also a must! :biggrin:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi, Cyber Swan
Michelle Kwan, Tosca
Yu-Na Kim, Danse Macabre
Davis/White, Bollywood
Alexei Yagudin, Winter

venlac

On the Ice
Alexei yagudin's winter
Yuna kim's danse macabre
(I love Gershiwn lp more, but in my opinion, it's better to recommend new fan)
Tessa & Scott Symphony No 5

I don't pick Skaters who has good basic skill, but no magnificent like Lysacek and Patrick Chan.
they are good skaters, but their skating would be boring to new fans.. Imo

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takahashi-Blues for Klook, WTT 2012

Michelle Kwan-Tosca, 2004 Worlds

Shen and Zhao-Turandot, 2003 Worlds

Yagudin, 2002 Olympics LP

Michelle Kwan, East of Eden, 1998 Pro Am

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt's "Singin' in the Rain" or "Brickhouse"

Javier's "Chaplin"

Midori Ito's 1988 Olympic free skate

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would choose only programmes after 2006, because if I wanted to get a friend of mine interested in skating and become a fan, it needs to be the skating of today or from very near past, in my opinion. These I would choose:

- Chaplin by Fernandez from 2013 Europeans
- 2010 Olympic sp by Lysacek
- ditto by Takahashi
- Chan´s sp from 2013 Worlds
- Kim´s freeskate from the 2010 Olympics

Cherryy

On the Ice
It pretty much depends on a person. I've shown some programs to my friends, some examples
-to my friend who trains and cares about nothing but jumps I showed Midori's 3A in her 1993 pro competition Rose of Pain. Best 3A ever by a lady. The angle on the 3A is also perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dg3jlLS9W4&feature=g-vrec
-to my friend who loves art but never cared about figure skating I showed Sasha's Malaguena and Michelle's program, can't remember which one. I wanted to know her opinion about which program she found to be more artistic. She chose Michelle. My friends also thought Oksana was about 28 at the Olympics :laugh:.

As for others, I would like them to see the diversity in FS and my favourites. 5 programs I would pick now for a random person
1. Midori's 1990 long. Best technically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H6PfFr59M
2. Shen and Zhao's 2010 SP. Well, best sp in pairs ever, speaks for itself.
3. On of Caroline's exhibitions. On my own, Born to try or Lullaby for a stormy night. I'd like to show that figure skating is not only about jumps, there are magnificent spins and spirals. I seriously can't say which exhibition is the best. I'd probably pick Born to Try, has the most lovely spins. Lullaby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4RpKDYqrg On my own https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqL8y6pU05Y Born to try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7QSZbv7vVA
4. Mao's Por una Cabeza. Could also be Swan Lake or Fantaisie-Impromptu. I'd have to show my favourite :biggrin:.
5. Yagudin's Winter. Best footwork ever. I would also have to show some quads.

I like the idea of Midori's pro competition Rose of Pain. Yeah, that's some triple axel. It looks as if she's climbing up the air.

Mao's Por una Cabeza definitely. It makes her look good, and it makes skating look good.

I can imagine that a good many people might be especially impressed with Elvis Stojko's martial arts style.