Programs to attract new fans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs to attract new fans

miki88

Medalist
Michelle's "Dante's Prayer"

Mao's "Chopin Nocturne" (Showed this to a few friends who loved it. :))

Daisuke's "Cyber Swan"

Torvill and Dean's "Rhumba OD"

G & G's "Reverie"

clairecloutier

Final Flight
As for others, I would like them to see the diversity in FS and my favourites. 5 programs I would pick now for a random person
1. Midori's 1990 long. Best technically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H6PfFr59M
2. Shen and Zhao's 2010 SP. Well, best sp in pairs ever, speaks for itself.
3. On of Caroline's exhibitions. On my own, Born to try or Lullaby for a stormy night. I'd like to show that figure skating is not only about jumps, there are magnificent spins and spirals. I seriously can't say which exhibition is the best. I'd probably pick Born to Try, has the most lovely spins. Lullaby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4RpKDYqrg On my own https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqL8y6pU05Y Born to try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7QSZbv7vVA
4. Mao's Por una Cabeza. Could also be Swan Lake or Fantaisie-Impromptu. I'd have to show my favourite :biggrin:.
5. Yagudin's Winter. Best footwork ever. I would also have to show some quads.

I like your choices, especially Shen & Zhao and Yagudin's Winter. I thought about putting Winter on my list too. Definitely one of the best men's SPs ever, if not THE best. Plus, I think Yagudin is a skater who, like Joubert, can appeal to non-fans. And you are right, Shen/Zhao should absolutely be on the list, although personally I would choose their 2003 Turandot Worlds LP, which was certainly a performance almost anyone could be moved by.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I like your choices, especially Shen & Zhao and Yagudin's Winter. I thought about putting Winter on my list too. Definitely one of the best men's SPs ever, if not THE best. Plus, I think Yagudin is a skater who, like Joubert, can appeal to non-fans. And you are right, Shen/Zhao should absolutely be on the list, although personally I would choose their 2003 Turandot Worlds LP, which was certainly a performance almost anyone could be moved by.

Right, Shen/Zhao definitely deserve to be on such lists. I also adore their 2004 Nutcracker and 2007 Meditation de Thais. Hard to pick just one.

I like the list everyone is working up!

I think Czisny's Sabrina would be great advertising for skating.

Eclair

Medalist
It really depends on your friend I think ;) Most people like to watch ladies singles more, so I would start with a ladies program:

Sasha Cohen - 2002 sears open LP: Everyone is impressed by Sasha's lines, and this performance was just out-of-the-world-beautiful
It's not easy to find, but here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PDaPEgo-Eg

Kanako Murakami - 2011 nationals SP Violine muse: It's an intriguing programm and as a newcomer your friend won't notice her UR's or her skating skills (which are hard to distinguish on videos anyway)

Kiira Korpi - 2011 Europeans SP - Somewhere over the rainbow: Musical, beautiful choreography

For men I would recommend:

Richard Dornbush: 2013 4CC SP - With or without you

Patrick Chan: 2011 nationals FS - one of his few clean programms:p but his edges are undenieable and even a newbie should notice

or if you don't like Patrick:
Yagudin: 2002 Olympic SP - Winter or Javier Fernandez Chaplin from 2012 Euros for the looks and the fun factor

People new to figure skating tend to notice figures, spins, lines and such a lot more than technical difficulty. For them a jump is either landed or a fall, they don't notice air position, flow out of a jump, transitions, whether it's a lutz or a toe loop or even the difference between a double, triple and quadriple... Therefore the programms I recommended are those audience can very easily feel connected to or be impressed by.
I'd also be careful about men wearing 'typical figure skating'-costumes, such as hanyu or adam rippon, because people who are not used to them can find them funny :p

When she/he has more experience, you can consider showing her programms by:

Michelle, Yunas 2007 worlds sp, Mao's Liebestraum or all the big ones from the past like Midori or Yamaguchi :)

prettykeys

Medalist
Virtue & Moir Mahler FD
Yagudin Gladiator FS
Yagudin Winter SP
P. Chan Tango SP
Lambiel Poeta FS
Kwan Romanza SP
Kwan Aranjuez FS
Cohen Dark Eyes SP
Asada Nocturne SP
Kim Les Mis FS
Kostner Country SP
Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze Lady Caliph SP
Kurt Browning Lightning Crashes Ex.
Kurt Browning Singin in the Rain made for TV thing

I'd also be careful about men wearing 'typical figure skating'-costumes, such as hanyu or adam rippon, because people who are not used to them can find them funny :p

When she/he has more experience, you can consider showing her programms by:

Michelle, Yunas 2007 worlds sp, Mao's Liebestraum or all the big ones from the past like Midori or Yamaguchi :)

The skating outfit thing is pretty important for a first impression, I think. That's one reason I have suggested Underhill/Martini's pro programs (he absolutely rocked torn blue jeans and a tee shirt) and the Duchesnays skating Missing (both in ordinary street clothes). These performances connect directly with the audience without frills or spangles to get in the way.

In fact, one vivid moment I noticed on one YouTube video of the Duchesnays performing Missing was what happened after they finished. The audience was applauding wildly, and the Duchesnays were recovering from the strenuous program, she in that wonderful red dress and he in business shirt and slacks and loosened tie (not to mention that they're skating to what may be the most magnetic form of indigenous music in the world, Andean harp and pipe music), and onto the ice step Klimova and Ponomarenko in what are basically ballet outfits. Mind you, I adore K/P; they're one of my top five dance couples ever ever, plus they're both drop-dead, poster-on-my-wall gorgeous. But you don't show costumes like that to your friends to make them develop an interest in skating. No no no.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It depends on gender and even orientation, and also age.

I would have to say for young person, competitive programs from current or retirees still skating well (Buttle, Lambiel) show what id FS like in 2013.

For women anything goes. I'd stick with recent programs for young woman.

Competition programs for icedancers would be headed by Voir's Mahler FD in the last Oly.
Then I would pick the Shibs 2010 FD
For pairs I would pick Robin and Aliona's 2011 LP or any program to impress with the athleticism of current pairs.
I would break my rule and maybe go back in time to the ultimate pair team G&G's SOI skate to Vocalise or really any artistic program from the pro years. They were perfection. Shen and Zhao had many wonderful competitive skates. They are amazing in so many aspects, under 6.0 or IJS. The last great pairs beside them were Sale and Pelletier's Love Story and S/B's SP Lady Caliph.

For singles skating for women, One would have to point out Yuna-athlete with enough artistry- her Gershwin LP 2010 or her World FS Les Mis. If one is trying to impress with beautiful skating skills, then Carolina's Sp and FS 2012 WC performances. I think she surpasses Mao with breathtaking speed. Everyone says Yuna must be seen to be appreciated. I was never a big Midori Ito fan other than the jumps.

I would never be able to keep it to five. Trailblazers like Denise Biellmann and Lucindah Ruh show what a gorgeous gala skate can be. Denise was a great athlete and under rated as an artist. Amazing longevity.

For the latest up and coming talent, I think Gracie Gold's LP at nationals was a huge wow. She has everything to become a great future WC with luck and health. And for the it girl of skating, I think Katelyn Osmond's SP and LP are what current skating is all about at its best. She has no real weaknesses and for sheer joy she is without peer. Artistic athletic dancer who skates singles in that order. I think the question was about how to entice today's viewers so I mention the two best skaters in the future.

A for amazing for me goes to an unsung veteran who should get higher scores, at least INHO and I'm not a skater, Lord knows but I think Akiko Suzuki does wonderful programs, with speed, good jumps, transitions and wonderful musicality. i think She and Dai exemplify the best of current skating in Japan. For the future, one must mention hanyu and watch all his skating for the thrilling parts. Patick Chan is controversial with the falls and the wins so i might skip him as the scoring system is difficult and I'm not sure I could justify his latest win over Denis Ten, since I don't think protocol sheets fully explained that.

For men, Daisuke skating to just about anything shows how men are valued these days. I don't find him offensive like Weir. Weir could turn people off in his recent incarnations. I would say for complete skating, a clean(is there one? I forget alot these days) Sp of Chan's Elegie, or the gala skate that inspired the comp program at 2012 Worlds.

This is mostly the sport under IJS.

If someone never saw much FS, I'd go back to classic 6.0 Programs

Icedance-doesn't get much better than Bolero. I think it holds up very well over the decades since.
Again, the penultimate pair was G&G and there are so many offerings. My faves were their SOI skates or pro skates over their Olympic wins. There are so many to list. Anything Marina Zueva did was magic in their hands.

Janet Lynn-anything but esp Afternoon of a Faun to show what the sport was originally about, gliding, edges, purity, spins, positions being perfected. From the era of figures we had people who aspired to perfection. Sasha Cohen's debut at nationals-was it 1999? was very amazing for me.

Michelle Kwan Lyra Angelica, Song of the Black swan second and third, her nationals 2004 LP Tosca for the best of 6.0 when 6-7 triple programs became the norm. Also, Sarah Hughes 2002 Oly gold LP is so exciting to watch. Whether flutzes or UR's that was an amazing OLY skate. very exciting to watch people rise to occasion like that.

For men under 6.0 there is an embarassment of riches. Any professional program done by Paul Wylie. I cannot pick a favorite-maybe Schindler's list. He was a good athlete and superb artist. Wylie as an amateur was hurt by jitters but his 1992 Albertville LP was great as well. Kurt Browning has so many great skates. Kurt certainly could jump, but as one of the greatest ever, his footwork is amazing in "Nyah." Again, impossible for me to choose his best program, but his pro years showed the artist/athlete he was to great advantage. Footwork, as done by Kurt over his career was peerless for me. Maybe the most gifted male skater ever.

Yagudin's SP to "Winter" 2002 Oly remains a huge favorite of mine from Russia's best male skater.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Ooh, if I had to pick 5? Well, 5 I have shown to non-skating friends who have also been wowed, and 5 that I constantly go back to:

Dai's 2011 NHK "Blues for Klook"

Yuna's 2008 Worlds "Tango Roxanne"

Michelle's 2000 Nats "East of Eden"

Akiko's 2013 NHK "O"

Any exhibition by G&G. Although I'm quite partial to "Vocalise".

(Although I did show my sister Weaver/Poje's "Humanity in Motion" from Worlds 2013, because we were discussing incarnations of Pygmalion, and she really liked that, too- and I love it. And then of course there's T&D's "Bolera", and Tessa and Scott's Mahler FD at the Olympics, and Meryl and Charlie's "Die Fladermaus", and ... yeah. I can't really keep things at 5 haha)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Lambiel's "Poeta"
Kwan's "East of Eden"
Shen and Zhao's 2003 Worlds performance (who says skating isn't a "real" sport)
Davis and White's "Bollywood"
Lynn's "Afternoon of a Faun"

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I know it's never gonna happen, but it would be great if a skater/pair actually asked their fans what their next program should be, or if the skater narrowed it down to a few choices and then people voted. Would actually not be a bad PR idea. :)