World Team Trophy vs. Olympic Team Event (format comparison) | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy vs. Olympic Team Event (format comparison)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A concise and helpful overview that compares and contrasts the two formats (Apr 9):

ETA, caveat:

In their posts below, Skater Boy and Mathman point out that the link above has a big mistake in how WTT points are assigned.
It SHOULD say: "In WTT pairs and dance, the top team will earn TWELVE points on down to the last place team, which will earn SEVEN points."

The official ISU language for WTT:
"In each discipline, the top ranked skater(s) earns 12 points, the second ranked skater/couple receives 11 points and so on. The last ranked single skater gets one point, the last pair/ice dance couple gets 7 points.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
INteresting - some of us were under the impression at the World Team the singles and pairs/dance got the same points but I guess not (for first, second etc.). Maybe I misunderstood but do you get zero points if your nation did not qualify a skater say in dance or pairs which is possible with some nations.. I do think the results could be very different as Japan has a far better chance with 4 singles skaters or placements counting rather than two.

^ I am pretty sure the Skating Magazine article is wrong about that. Here is the official announcement that is now on the front page of the ISU site.

http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/...3,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1304

In pairs and dance the winners get 12 points on down to 7th for last place. I am pretty sure that this holds even in the case of Japan, which does not have a pairs team. They will automatically receive 7 points for last place finish by default.

Kind of disappointing that the USFSA would go to the trouble of writing an article about this and not try to get it right.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, SB and MM!

Sorry that I had not noticed that the USFSA blog had the major error re team points. :eek:
I will go back and make a notation in the OP.

[After last year, I should have been on alert for any error from USFSA in explaining WTT. At the time of the 2012 WTT, a USFSA press release incorrectly said that the team results would be determined by the sum of scores (not ranking points) that each skater/pair/couple earned. :bang: ]

ETA:
USFSA's subsequent blog post is its WTT "viewer's guide." USFSA this time did explain correctly the point range for pairs and couples -- maybe redeeming itself a tiny bit, if we're feeling charitable. ;)
http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/04/10/2013-isu-world-team-trophy-viewers-guide/

rvi5

On the Ice
Scoring: Points will be awarded based on each skater’s finishing position at the end of the event. The top singles skater will earn 12 points for their team after the overall scores are calculated following the free skate. The second place skater will earn 11 points, on down to the last-placed singles skater, who will earn one point for his/her team’s overall score. In pairs and dance, the top team will earn six points on down to the last place team, which will earn one point. Each of the point totals will be added together to determine the final team standings. After the short program, tentative points will be awarded for seeding, however, only the final placements after the free skate will count.

Doesn't this mean the currently assigned SP rank points are irrelevant (for seeding only), while the final scores after the LP are used to determine the winning ranks? ie. not the combined rank points of the SP and LP :confused: