Thread: Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

New article on Evgeni Plushenko entitled: Ilia Averbukh: “Plushenko is able to win Sochi Olympics”. It reads:-

Evgeni Plushenko [can attain]...victory, believes...Ilia Averbukh. [Averbukh states:] "I am not a doctor and [I] do not have the diagnosis [for] Evgeni, but I think that he will do everything to recover and perform in Sochi......Evgeni will not back down.....Basically, the set of elements with which Evgeni can cope, and his charisma give him a chance."

According to Averbukh, Russia should pin [its] Olympic hopes in men’s skating [only] on Evgeni Plushenko.
    So, how much of a chance does Plushenko have of winning the 2014 Olympic title?

It would be a medical miracle if he can return to competitive skating at all.

But if so...I think he could definitely win. None of the other top guys have shown that they can actually deliver the technical content that they pack their jump cards with.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It would be a medical miracle if he can return to competitive skating at all.

But if so...I think he could definitely win. None of the other top guys have shown that they can actually deliver the technical content that they pack their jump cards with.
    Indeed. I think he said that his chance of returning for Sochi was 50/50 and that he'd know for sure in June?

But if he does, and if he is still able to jump as before.... He will be pain-free for the first time in... how many years?

Custom Title
    That kind of back surgery is so chancy.

But if (for argument's sake) he could return with his jumps relatively intact, I wouldn't put it past him to land on the podium at least. Even winning wouldn't be impossible for a guy with his technique, consistency, and sheer drive.

Custom Title
    If he could come back and jump quads in both programs, yes, he has a chance to win. I like legend and miracles, and would love to see him win.

Custom Title
    No chance. If it is a horribly skated event and he skated lights out (for what he is capable of at this point) maybe he could eke out a bronze, but that would even be a huge long shot.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by mao88 View Post
    so, how much of a chance does plushenko have of winning the 2014 olympic title?
    yes!

Custom Title
    The gay,comments go more,toward,Evgeny character and whether he can sell things, how people feel about him. Not whether he can or cannot win Ogm medal.

~high art~
    I'd say no.