Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title? | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Plushenko is the most mentally robust skater going into Sochi and I think that's going to give him more of a boost than a lot of people are reckoning on.

ESPECIALLY if Chan persists with his stupid coaching situation. Come on pal, grow a brain! Get a real coach, not some glorified dance teacher!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Sure! It's so true about PChan skating! :laugh:

I'm not the one who claim "the best artistic skater ever".:p:biggrin:

I think Plushenko is the most mentally robust skater going into Sochi and I think that's going to give him more of a boost than a lot of people are reckoning on.

ESPECIALLY if Chan persists with his stupid coaching situation. Come on pal, grow a brain! Get a real coach, not some glorified dance teacher!

So Plushenko's situation is a little like the one Lysacek had in 2010 Olympics. The strongest contenders for OGM may be Chan, Hanyu, and Fernandez. But Takahashi, Plushenko are very close by. And then Ten and Reynolds. Maybe Aaron or Mura or even Amodio becomes a dark horse.

Chan doesn't have much advantages which he had had a couple of years ago when he was with Krall and Nichol. So he is very much just in the mix but not above current crop.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Of all these possible OGM winners listed, Denis Ten has the least chance. He looks more like Jeremy Abbott to me as far as his mental toughness goes. I don't mind to be proved wrong next season. The good thing is that Ten has happened to peak in a better time than Abbott did. So Ten got a world silver but Abbott got none at world level. Even Plushenko, I believe, has a better shot at Sochi podium than Ten.

I think Ten does stand a good chance with Frank Carroll on his side. However, it will be difficult for him to replicate the cleanliness of his past Worlds. Hopefully it gives him confidence. But I don't think a World silver is enough to all of a sudden consider him a contender (I mean, look at Leonova, who's at least won GP medals). His GP record hadn't shown any indication that he has a World silver in him, although he certainly earned it. Even with better skates (but still with errors, just not as many), Takahashi/Fernandez/Hanyu might have had difficulty catching him at 2013 Worlds. If he replicates that at the Olympics though, he should end up in the top 5 (assuming errors from at least one or two of the other top guys).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But his consistency is really...
Recently he have ever been had cleaner programs than top skaters and win? PCS just saved him.

Yup, at Rostelcom Cup 2012, he scored 262.35 with decent skates. Even though his top competitors were Kozuka and Brezina, that score was the highest of any of the Grand Prix events this season. The only other competition that he won was at Worlds, which he shouldn't have won (but did win primarily due to a strong SP, and his only competitor being Ten and not the usual major players). He came 2nd and 3rd at his other competitions this season.

As for recent victories, he also had a pretty clean competition at 2012 Worlds (his only major error was a fall on the 2A in his FS... but his top competitors had errors - Hanyu a fall in his FS and singled lutz in his SP FS, Takahashi a downgrade in his SP and UR in his FS, and Chan had 2 quads, so points-wise the win made sense overall, even if his error was more glaring). Four Continents 2012 (where he beat Takahashi) he was clean the whole competition except for a messy landing on his SP quad (probably his cleanest most recent FS where he executed his intended difficulty).

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Of course you are not. That would be too embarrasing to claim such a thing about PC. :laugh:

So someone doesn't feel embarrassed to claim it on Takahashi then.:rofl: How pathetic it is that "the best artistic skater ever" wouldn't be recognized by the judges and the fans other than his ubers.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Anything constructive?

Of course.

The constructive thing is that Takahashi has his high place in artistic contributions in figure skating. But he is certainly not THE most artistic skater ever. He isn't even the most artistic skater amongst the currently active skaters.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Who do you think is the most artistic, BB?

I think in terms of musicality, interpretation and expression Takahashi is the most "artistic" among current skaters. Of all time, he's certainly not the most artistic, but he's up there for me... and kudos for being such an artistic skater in spite of having to execute all the difficulty too. In terms of artistic ability on the blade, edge work, and choreography, Chan's the best amongst currently active skaters... but I'd still say overall Takahashi is the most artistic.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Who do you think is the most artistic, BB?

I think in terms of musicality, interpretation and expression Takahashi is the most "artistic" among current skaters. Of all time, he's certainly not the most artistic, but he's up there for me... and kudos for being such an artistic skater in spite of having to execute all the difficulty too. In terms of artistic ability on the blade, edge work, and choreography, Chan's the best amongst currently active skaters... but I'd still say overall Takahashi is the most artistic.

I've said it earlier in this thread. I think it's Jeremy Abbott. Jeremy can express big variety of music with almost equally convincing skating to successfully highlight the best of that music. He could skate like a charming young man with inner power. He could also skate like a female ballerina (though I hate that:p).

I think Takahashi interpretes and expresses perfectly in certain narrow ranged music. It has become his style. A few ventures outside that narrow range, he was ordinary and sometimes he still used a part of that same style. My main complain is his fingers and his wrists. But his wrists suited perfectly in Blues for Klook.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I've said it earlier in this thread. I think it's Jeremy Abbott. Jeremy can express big variety of music with almost equally convincing skating to successfully highlight the best of that music. He could skate like a charming young man with inner power. He could also skate like a female ballerina (though I hate that:p).

I think Takahashi interpretes and expresses perfectly in certain narrow ranged music. It has become his style. A few ventures outside that narrow range, he was ordinary and sometimes he still used a part of that same style. My main complain is his fingers and his wrists. But his wrists suited perfectly in Blues for Klook.

Ah, right I keep forgetting about Abbott. Yeah, I agree that Takahashi's range of interpretation is for flashier/sexier interpretations (like tangos, blues, etc.), whereas Abbott has this "contemporary"/"experimental" look to his artistry that really pleasant and unexpected to watch. I do think Takahashi does have better expression, but Abbott is far more creative and avant garde in his choreography (maybe even more than Chan). In terms of skating skills, Abbott is almost on par with Chan, and maybe slightly better than Takahashi. I would love to see Abbott break out and do a wilder number or skate to something more anthemic rather than his typical classical music... he seems to have an introverted artistry that draws you in rather than projects outwards (which is fine, too).

I also see what you mean about Takahashi's hands/wrists... sometimes they really suit the music, other times I find them excessively fluid, soft, and borderline effeminate. My main issue with him is that he doesn't exude the confidence or have the same speed going into some of his jumps as the other guys, and they appear to be hurdles instead of seamlessly integrated... particularly in the latter half of the program he almost goes into them 'lazily'.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Most artistic of all time: Curry, Cousins, Cranston, Browning, Yagudin. That's in no particular order.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Most artistic of all time: Curry, Cousins, Cranston, Browning, Yagudin. That's in no particular order.

I know most will disagree, but I never considered Yagudin "artistic" but rather "passionate". A lot of his moves looked sloppy (like his spins at the end of his programs) and his posture during stroking was not very good.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
great artists? Buttle and Lambiel. And Wylie would beat Yagudin in that category as a pro...superb.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

how forgot about them????? ( CSG will tell me, they're not artistic, because they do not skate on one leg )

Thank you for the links!!!!!! This is Russian style!! Ovchinikov!!!!:bow: Bobrin!!:bow:

Some skating fan can deny Plushy's art, but the love what he gets from the people, no one can take away from him
.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h53_qvQjNM :clap: