Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
CSG sucks with his trollish comparison of Plu 2003 and the field of 2013, with different rules, etc. :rolleye: I too want to troll! :laugh:

Can Plu win in Sochi?
-Sure. Who else. He knows how to stand on his feet after landing, he has the best posture ever, with mind-blowing command of ice and the charisma of a conqueror. The home ice and public will be the part of his PCS with Putin as a cheerleader.

Can Chan win in Sochi?
-Sure. Granted. He is the most corrupted skater in fs history in terms of unfair wins. Retiring David Dore will get his farewell gift. Never mind that the service of zamboni won't be required since Patrick's butt will do all work.

Can Dai win in Sochi?
-Sure. What a stupid question. The people's champion is the best artistic skater ever with charming personality that doesn't annoy anyone except Chan ubers and JSF.

Can Hanyu win in Sochi?
-Sure. With so many skaters possibly retiring, Japan is in desperate need of a new star. Therefore TV Tokyo, Fuji TV, NHK and Asahi TV will cooperate their assets to bribe ISU judges handsomely as only money can do.

Can Javi win in Sochi?
-Sure. He is Orser pet-boy. At the same time he is cute and not a jerk. Also, he is a Euro which is awesome a priori.

Can Ten win in Sochi?
-Sure. Because in this case no ISU monster members will get the main prize. :biggrin:

(be continued)

Awww but you forgot one. Can Reynolds win in Sochi, :laugh: :eek:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Can Plu win in Sochi?
-Sure. Who else. He knows how to stand on his feet after landing, he has the best posture ever, with mind-blowing command of ice and the charisma of a conqueror. The home ice and public will be the part of his PCS with Putin as a cheerleader.

Best posture ever?! He's often hunched when he strokes backwards, which is the vast majority of the stroking in his programs.... Takahashi/Ten/Chan/Yagudin/Buttle/Lambiel all have much better posture.

yaya124

On the Ice
Best posture ever?! He's often hunched when he strokes backwards, which is the vast majority of the stroking in his programs.... Takahashi/Ten/Chan/Yagudin/Buttle/Lambiel all have much better posture.

Definition of POSTURE
a : the position or bearing of the body whether characteristic or assumed for a special purpose.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Definition of POSTURE
a : the position or bearing of the body whether characteristic or assumed for a special purpose.

That's the definition of posture, yes. But I'm taking about good posture in a figure skating context ("carriage" if you will). When he's stroking he's leaned over which is poorer posture compared to other skaters who stroke around more upright. Part of this could be due to him looking down a lot when stalking his jumps - note his difference in posture when he's "performing" or having moments of expression and his posture when stroking around into jumps. Overall, his posture is good and if you look at his Euros 2013 SP vs. his 2010 Olympics LP his basic stroking posture has improved, but he certainly isn't even close to having the "best posture ever" of any man.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lol at the posture crap! Now Denis ten joins the massive group of all the skates who are better than plushenko. Chan takahashi buttle hanyu Fernandez lambiel lysacek goebel etc etc! This is the amazing power of plushenko! Being so inferior to everyone else but somehow having three Olympic medals and 3 world titles.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Lol at the posture crap! Now Denis ten joins the massive group of all the skates who are better than plushenko. Chan takahashi buttle hanyu Fernandez lambiel lysacek goebel etc etc! This is the amazing power of plushenko! Being so inferior to everyone else but somehow having three Olympic medals and 3 world titles.

I never included Goebel... his posture was poor. Ten doesn't have Olympic or World titles but he's got better posture than Plushenko (and a higher personal best, if you're comparing the two). And it's not like you need good posture to win... Stojko won 3 world titles and didn't have good posture at all, but he landed the jumps and gave a good level of performance. The "posture crap" was in reference to somebody saying Plushenko has the best posture ever, which I'm sure many would disagree with.

gmyers

Record Breaker
You said goebel deserved to win 2003 worlds and only lost it because of a triple loop error! Lol. Saying how he was so artistically superior to plushenko. It's all part of the long list in this thread of how this skater and that skater are all better than plushenko. If it's not posture it's something else. Every skater is better than plushenko in something and then that makes them better than plushenko overall! Amazing. Even recent successes like hanyu and Fernandez.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You said goebel deserved to win 2003 worlds and only lost it because of a triple loop error! Lol. Saying how he was so artistically superior to plushenko. It's all part of the long list in this thread of how this skater and that skater are all better than plushenko. If it's not posture it's something else. Every skater is better than plushenko in something and then that makes them better than plushenko overall! Amazing. Even recent successes like hanyu and Fernandez.

I didn't say Goebel was artistically superior to Plushenko -- I said his program was more complex/difficult than Plushenko's, choreography-wise and since his jumps were better (they both made 1 noticeable error, but Goebel's jumps were better executed overall and his quads were harder) I thought the nod should have gone to him.

Every skater is better than some skaters in some areas, and worse than other skaters in other areas... including Plushenko, Chan, Takahashi, Fernandez, and the rest. When somebody says Plushenko is the best jumper, I agree with them... when somebody says Plushenko has the best posture or choreography, I disagree with them. That's not to say he has bad posture or the worst choreography. Just because I don't agree a skater is the best at something doesn't automatically mean I'm saying they're the worst at it. :rolleye:

yaya124

On the Ice
I didn't say Goebel was artistically superior to Plushenko -- I said his program was more complex/difficult than Plushenko's, choreography-wise and since his jumps were better (they both made 1 noticeable error, but Goebel's jumps were better executed overall and his quads were harder) I thought the nod should have gone to him.

Every skater is better than some skaters in some areas, and worse than other skaters in other areas... including Plushenko, Chan, Takahashi, Fernandez, and the rest. When somebody says Plushenko is the best jumper, I agree with them... when somebody says Plushenko has the best posture or choreography, I disagree with them. That's not to say he has bad posture or the worst choreography. Just because I don't agree a skater is the best at something doesn't automatically mean I'm saying they're the worst at it. :rolleye:

Definition of CARRIAGE
b : manner of bearing the body : posture

Yes, you did not say that Plushenko is the worst since you will be a fool to say that judging from what Plushenko have achieved. But you are saying that all Plushenko's results are merely based on his jumping ability while he is even below the average of other skaters in other departments, which is only your opinion. It is actually kind of OK but the way you sell your theory is like your opinion is the only correct one. What is your purpose here? To brain wash people?

You can continue your Canadian brain wash crap, it just makes you sounds pathetic and hypocritical.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I would think Plush has a nice straight back and sets his neck really well when stroking. If i hear hunched back i think of sth different.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm bored. In an another thread we already talked this matter. If you compare their presentation marks, Plushenko is clearly the winner. Plushy was the youngest male skater ever, who received 6.0. He received cca 70 60s before the IJS was introduced. He beat Yagudin with second marks, not technical points. The explanation is so simply, Yagudin lived in North-Am for 7 years, he competed in SA and SC many times, he won his olympic gold medal in US, when he retired he competed on professional competitions many times there. And he retired so early, in americans minds he is the legend who beat Plush. Not to mention Plushy skates in Russian style, and Yagudin not.
These are parts of the Russian documentary on Plushy, Portrait of the star:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB2PDzouzSY Plushenko vs Yagudin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdWHrP37zU Plushenko vs Yagudin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcyg-KW3I0 Artist on ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqGEGsRigc Artist on ice

This is from Russian point of view, opinions of skaters, old skaters, journalists.
_________

The Tango Amore isn't my favorite program, but he "blew up" the arenas with it, not once.

"About Plushy's performance of Tango Amore in Beijing last year, I want to mention one of the most wonderful compliments to Plushy I've ever read, from a Chinese Weir fan (who did not know much about Plushy before): she said that as soon as he came out onto the ice, she literally felt the air pressure change, a kind of mysterious energy physically pushing against her chest, something that could only be described as an "aura", and all of a sudden she began to see how things like the Bermuda Triangle and other strange phenomena could be possible, because there are no other explanations for powers like this!
In hindsight, Tango Amore might be the right choice for him at that time. It is a program that he felt comfortable with, the style is very original and mature, you don't get to see skaters do a very sensual and sexy program in competition that often

And as an exhibition program, oh boy, the audience just loves it! He almost blew 18,000 people off with that program in Artistry On Ice last year. I have read nothing but raving review after that performance in China, people calling it "the highlight of the night", and "the perfect combination of dancing and music".

What does it matter where Yagudin won his OGM? The fact is at his peak Yagudin was probably the greatest male skater ever who was stopped only when his body gave out at a young age. He had the jumps but also was a much better artistic skater.

venlac

On the Ice
What does it matter where Yagudin won his OGM? The fact is at his peak Yagudin was probably the greatest male skater ever who was stopped only when his body gave out at a young age. He had the jumps but also was a much better artistic skater.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

This is what I was saying. What are the criteria? Because Americans think that? There is not always right for Americans. If you look Yag's recognition in Russia, Europe, and Asia is not nearly to Plushy.
You think, he was probably the greatest male skater ever, but in Russia, in Europe and Asia he isn't.

Plushenko:

1 Oly gold
2 Oly silver,
3 WCH gold
1 WCH silver
1 WCH bronze
7 ECH gold
3 ECH silver
4GPF Gold
10 Rus Nat Champion
18GP gold

He has cca 56 gold from ISU

Plushenko is one of a few male skaters to perform the Biellmann spin. He was the first skater in the world to perform a 4T–3T–2Lo combination in competition, at the 1999 NHK Trophy (he has since landed the combination 26 times so far). He is the first skater to have landed a 4T–3T–3Lo combination in competition, at the Cup of Russia 2002 (he has since landed that combination four times so far). Plushenko is also the first skater to land a 3T–3T–3Lo–2Lo combination, doing so at the 2001 ARD Gala. At the European Championships, he landed a six jump combination (3–3–2–2–2–2) in his exhibition program. He landed a 4T–3T–2Lo–2Lo at the 2001 World Championships. Plushenko has landed a consistent 4T in competition, and landed a 4S in Samara, Russia at the second stage of the 2004 Russian Cup series. It is estimated that he has landed a total of about 100 quads in competition.

Plushenko has worked on and landed 4Lo and 4Lz in practice, but has never completed either of them in competition.

At the age of 16, Plushenko was the youngest male skater to ever receive a perfect score of 6.0. He received a total of seventy five 6.0s before the new Code of Points judging system was introduced.

Plushenko is the only male figure skater in the modern history of the sport to have won three Olympic medals in singles (Gillis Grafström won four in the early years of the sport, from 1920–1932).

Alexiei Yagudin:
1 Oly gold
4 WCh gold
1 WCH silver
1 WCH bronze
3 ECH gold
2 ECH silver
2GPF gold
12 GP gold

Yagudin was older almost 3 years, but Yagudin was the one who always went after Plushy. If Plushy did something at first,Yagudin learned it, if he did not want to miss. In figure skating history there is nothing, what is binds to Yagudin's name.

You can hardly explain me, why Yagudin is the better, just personal opinion, is not very convincing. In this respect, no one cares of that if Yagudin didn't retire, probably he could have won many competitions. And I'M not sure Yagudin can beat Plushy...Yagudin needed sport psychlogist ,not Plushy.

Plushy beat Yag at first time, in 2000 ECH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMrwtOhPcc interesting reaction from Yag. Look at the scores!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, no one is keeping any posters from starting a truly interesting thread in the Edge to keep us all entertained in the off season.

Boring topics include refighting old battles of the last season (and worse yet, old battles of previous season's in the quad).

ciocio

On the Ice
Yagudin and Plushenko were actors in a sort of "Cold War" supported by media and ISU for ca$h and audience. It was funny when they were competing but it's sad that some FS fans can't get over it. :disapp:

LRK

Record Breaker
He took the first step.....

Plushenko News_Eng ‏@PlushenkoNews

RT @EvgeniPlushenko: I went to the fitness for the first time after the operation https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/status/328564761363095552/photo/1

Plushenko News_Eng ‏@PlushenkoNews

RT @EvgeniPlushenko: I missed trainings https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/status/328565022060052482/photo/1

And I want to cheer! (Personally, I hate exercise, which makes it quite funny, actually... :) ) Yay! And so long as he's happy. :)

ETA - And I was a tad too quick to post - as I hit the button I realised that I wanted to thank you so much plushyfan for keeping us informed! Oh, and since I'm on the topic, I also want to thank you for posting about 2005 Worlds' - knowing all that made me feel quite weepy, and I finished off by watching his SP - with BESP commentary, of course! "A look of defiance."

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Can Dai win in Sochi?
-Sure. What a stupid question. The people's champion is the best artistic skater ever with charming personality that doesn't annoy anyone except Chan ubers and JSF.

Takahashi is sooooo overrated by his fans for his artistic abilities. There are many better artistic skaters in the history of figure skating.

During his peak, Yagudin was universally the most beloved skater. He is one of the most influencial skaters in the figure skating history. Had he continued his competitive skating if his body hadn't failed him, I have no doubt that he'd have surpassed any skaters from Russia.:p