Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

Cherryy

On the Ice
If we see another splatfest... why not? He'll have the reputation score, so his PCS won't be hurt, add to this home advantage and his stellar nerves. Olympics is a mental game, I've heard. If Plushenko will be healthy and will be able just to land what he plans, that's possible, not likely though.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Of course Plushenko can take can take the Sochi mens' title! No doubt there's a platinum medal waiting in a vault somewhere that he can award himself in the event those evil judges don't recognize his genius! :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Of course Plushenko can take can take the Sochi mens' title! No doubt there's a platinum medal waiting in a vault somewhere that he can award himself in the event those evil judges don't recognize his genius! :laugh:

He did not award himself a platinum medal ever. He accepted silver and did the medal ceremony and everything and has photos of himself with silver on his website. That is also the only place the silver medal was written about as platinum. I believe the picture was of the silver medal but said platinum of Vancouver but that was not him personally.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
But he clearly stated he felt he had won, done enough to win. he was shocked, and it was bad treatment he gave Evan. Jumping up on the gold podium was wrong. As much as I like him and forgive the diva part of him, that was just plain disrespectful to the gold winner of 2010. I am sure he regrets his behavior. In retrospect, I hope he was embarassed, but I doubt it. This is why people feel the Russians are not good sports. Irina behaved similarly. Maybe there was no platinum medal but didn't Putin say it was or some other high profile Russian? Who said that it was platinum? His fan club? I recall it was said. Again, this detracted from the win by American Evan Lysacek, though not by much to me. It may not have been a large point spread, but i thought it was absolutely the right podium.

quikrush

Rinkside
If he does, hopefully he does it with better programs than 2010. He is capable of giving good performances if he puts his mind to it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the pure strength of his conviction, of his unbreakable, unbelieveable self-confidence, might just carry him through. There isn't a skater in the world who can match him for mental toughness. It may well be the difference.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
skateluvr said:
But he clearly stated he felt he had won, done enough to win. Jumping up on the gold podium was wrong.

So what? Plush felt he deserved to win, said it and backed it up with some good reasons why he felt that way. That doesn't make him disrespectful or a diva or whatever.
(Besides, how many people in this world actually believe Evan deserved this win? Plush's opinion is far from uncommon.)

skateluvr said:
This is why people feel the Russians are not good sports.

:rolleye:
I don't have any idea who exactly thinks that... poor, poor Evan, who his such an innocent little lamb himself, how could the big bad Evgeni dare to make a joke by jumping on his podium :biggrin:

But hey, I'm crossing my fingers that Plush makes it to Sochi to be a big baddy again and jump on the golden podium spot of someone else. Because if he makes it to Sochi capable of skating at all, he's definitly a medal threat. I'm having problems to decide whom I want to have on that podium anyway (besides Dai for gold, no doubt), and how amazing would it be if he won a fourth olympic medal! :eek: I'm not even a fan, but you just have to have respect for this guy.

And most of all, I'm hoping he stays healthy! :thumbsup:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Thank you Li'Kitsu, you are right! I'm a fan of Plush, thus if I said these sentences it would be a little bit disbelieving. But I know how many people thought Plushy was robbed. Plushy was brave and said what is his opinion. I don't think, that is bad sportsmanship. I remember Rogge hug him when they met in Vancouver. In March of 2010 Albert, Prince of Monaco invited him a ceremony to Monaco. So I don't think they had bad opinion on Plush. Probably they knew it, letters and messages flooded the ISU, and the IOC. The people wrote directly to the ISU and to the IOC, not to mention the petitions a little bit later. They wanted to revision of the final result.
He didn't give to himself platinum medal. But I know there were attacks against him in the American media before Vancouver . And it's not finished yet, see DiManno's "masterpiece".

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Or in 2006...:laugh:

I love that program, as many other figure skating fans. PJ Kwong-i don't call her Plushy's fan -wrote this:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/12/pjs-top-10-performances-men.html
PJ's Top 10 Performances: Men

1. Evgeni Plushenko (Russia), 2006 Olympics, The Godfather free program

In Turin, Italy the atmosphere inside the arena was charged with excitement when the men took the ice for their free programs. Plushenko skated with such compelling intensity as to be mesmerizing. He was completely convincing as The Godfather in a program that I think was the strongest vehicle of his career. As a side note, his friend and violin maestro Edvin Marton played the Godfather theme live for Plushenko's exhibition. We all held our breath as Marton slipped (and I mean slipped) into position on the ice in street shoes holding a priceless Stradivarius.

gmyers

Record Breaker
But he clearly stated he felt he had won, done enough to win. he was shocked, and it was bad treatment he gave Evan. Jumping up on the gold podium was wrong. As much as I like him and forgive the diva part of him, that was just plain disrespectful to the gold winner of 2010. I am sure he regrets his behavior. In retrospect, I hope he was embarassed, but I doubt it. This is why people feel the Russians are not good sports. Irina behaved similarly. Maybe there was no platinum medal but didn't Putin say it was or some other high profile Russian? Who said that it was platinum? His fan club? I recall it was said. Again, this detracted from the win by American Evan Lysacek, though not by much to me. It may not have been a large point spread, but i thought it was absolutely the right podium.

The feeling of some was that the 2010 mens result was "the night they killed figure skating!" So the person who was a victim of this "death sentence" spoke up about it. Before 2010 the Olympics could be described as being in an upward trajectory or even level but 2010 was near 20 year backwards motion. Putin said his silver was worth gold. A radio host said he should have a platinum medal. That was before the website. Somehow the radio hosts joke got written on the website. Then lysacek said plushenko wanted to abolish figure skating and Carroll said he was the equivalent of a united states intermediate skater.

Icey

Record Breaker
THe risk is that if he goes to the Olympics he might injure himself during the short program and have to withdraw. It is a big gamble imo.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yeah the short program of the team Event! He would be locked into competing more than he has in the past 8 years in a week!!!

bestskate8

On the Ice
What wrong with “platinum medal”? Evgeni skated more difficult programs then Laysachek, but judges for well knowing reasons placed him lower. So Russian people treat his silver medal as platinum, HIGHER then Laysacjek “fake” gold.
It is common for Russians to support this way, even Putin said: you silver is gold to us. But because silver and platinum similar color and platinum more expensive, so Plushenko’s silver is platinum to his fans and his nation.
Plushenko's platinum medal is so cool, his fans shouldn't remove this statment from his website, and show support to Plushenko this way. I wouldn't remove.:p

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well it was removed 3 years ago lol. The idea was repudiated and the whole thing was repudiated by plushenko when he accepted before the fact and put pictures of the silver after the fact. In the very heat of the moment he accepted silver so displayed great sportsmanship while knowing his absurd it was and when others were declaring figure skating dead.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry but aside from the jumps there wasn't anything to Plushenko's LP except mediocre spins and halfassed transitions and footwork and showboating. Even skated a more complete program even if it was a bit forgettable. Figure skating is more then jumps and Plushenko had a couple wonky landings too.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Most o the spins were level 4 so I don't know about medicore spins. The jumps landings were all on one foot and fully rotated in the air. There was nothing "wonky" about his jump landings. Now in 2006 there was problems with some landings in the sp and lp!! But not in 2010. Like euros 2010 had a horrendous landing by plushenko!! The issue has always been that an Olympic gold medal performance in men's is really worthless without going for the difficulty of a quad jump as part of a whole package. It was 2010! After three Olympics had been won with quads. Almost Everyone who does quads says it makes everything harder! So If you do all your jumps well and level 3 and 4 spins and steps and do choreo of course plushenko needed to win for he result not to be a joke and seem like the result of corruption. Bt he Inman email is evidence of corruption in the result.

No one can describe even one problem with a landing of plushenkos jumps! They just say wonky to be vague and because they can't say two foot, turn out, hand down, step out, etc!! They have nothing so say wonky!! Ridiculous! Making up problems with plushenkos landings!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People knew that Plushekno's LP was empty other then the jumps. The judges agreed.