Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

gmyers

Record Breaker
That woukd be the ideal but it won't be until December probably that he even gets up to even trying quads! He is doing some training now but no jump training and certainly has all the techniques like totally ingrained and stamped on his brain but august and September of previous years had training videos so even they know to start training early! Or maybe that was for the Japan open! Either way even if the back IS good there is still the knees! So 2012 surgery with knees I think and 2013 surgery on back I mean best wishes to him!!! This is like crazy!! I'm totally interested in this as not only the story of plushenko but medical science. He could be in the new England journal of medicine!! Should be very interesting what layout is probably debuted at Russian nationals!!

That's a good point, Gmyers: it's not just a story of Plushenko but a story of medicine. I remember in the 1984 Olympics, both marathoner Joan Benoit and gymnast Mary Lou Retton had laparoscopic surgery on a knee mere weeks before the Games. Minimal incision, almost no scar. Each became the champion in her respective event. Reporters made a huge point of the medical advance that allowed these ladies to recover their top form at the right moment for their biggest competition.

I hope that both Plushenko and medical science are at their best for next season.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
No way can Plushenko win at olympics. He could possibly medal if others make mistakes, but he just wont get the components

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
That woukd be the ideal but it won't be until December probably that he even gets up to even trying quads! He is doing some training now but no jump training and certainly has all the techniques like totally ingrained and stamped on his brain but august and September of previous years had training videos so even they know to start training early! Or maybe that was for the Japan open! Either way even if the back IS good there is still the knees! So 2012 surgery with knees I think and 2013 surgery on back I mean best wishes to him!!! This is like crazy!! I'm totally interested in this as not only the story of plushenko but medical science. He could be in the new England journal of medicine!! Should be very interesting what layout is probably debuted at Russian nationals!!

At the end of May, they will start working on new short and long programs in Moscow with the choreographer of the capital. And, they will go to the summer camps in Italy and Estonia. They will also leave for Sochi for the camp and the test skate.
If he will be healthy he will compete in COR in my opinion...

ciocio

On the Ice
I would add Takahashi and remove Yagudin.

I agree with Janna even if I adore Yagudin.;) He was artistic too but not in the way Curry, Cousins or Cranston were. Lambiel and Takahashi are closer to their style.

LRK

Record Breaker
I agree with Janna even if I adore Yagudin.;) He was artistic too but not in the way Curry, Cousins or Cranston were. Lambiel and Takahashi are closer to their style.

But why is only one style "artistic" - or "artistic" enough?

This isn't specifically about Yagudin or whoever in particular - but a general comment. Why is only ONE style deemed "artistic"? I truly don't understand that - and never will! Quite honestly, I think that is quite... narrowminded. (I hasten to add that this isn't meant for you in particular, ciocio! - even though I'm responding to your comment - it just made me think of it.)

But then... Here, I'll give everyone a sense of the lowness of my tastes so you can ignore my opinions for evermore. I even consider Brian Joubert to be "artistic" - in his own way. There. :)

As I said somewhere else, what matters to me is that a skater lays down their heart & soul on the ice. That to me is "artistry". The particular style in which it is done is... secondary at best. I realise I'm pretty alone in this - but... so be it! I've always said about myself that "I'm only fashionable by mistake" - so, what else is new, really? ;)

LRK

Record Breaker
At the end of May, they will start working on new short and long programs in Moscow with the choreographer of the capital. And, they will go to the summer camps in Italy and Estonia. They will also leave for Sochi for the camp and the test skate.

Oh, I'm so excited for those new programs! I know, I know... I keep cautioning myself. I know nothing is sure - quite the reverse, in fact. But... I just think that if anyone could do it, it would be Plushy.

I think to me - and I believe most of his fans (though generally I don't like to speak for other people) - his just being in Sochi will be a victory. I don't doubt he feels the same way - that he knows how difficult the task he has set himself is. But... I also know another thing. Once he steps out on that ice... He'll be in for the kill. Because, that's just the person he is!

He's in our prayers & thoughts, I'm sure. :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
No way can Plushenko win at olympics.

Firstly, not that I am disagreeing with the poster who said this, so please don't get me wrong. ;)
Secondly...a girl can dream! :biggrin: Go, Evgeni! :rock: :p

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh, I'm so excited for those new programs! I know, I know... I keep cautioning myself. I know nothing is sure - quite the reverse, in fact. But... I just think that if anyone could do it, it would be Plushy.

I think to me - and I believe most of his fans (though generally I don't like to speak for other people) - his just being in Sochi will be a victory. I don't doubt he feels the same way - that he knows how difficult the task he has set himself is. But... I also know another thing. Once he steps out on that ice... He'll be in for the kill. Because, that's just the person he is!

He's in our prayers & thoughts, I'm sure. :)

As long as he takes to the ice, we will support him.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Okay, more seriously. Considering how severe his injury was, how difficult and a long way, it seems, its surgery and rehab process are, Plushenko is already the WINNER if he stands on ice/takes to ice on the night of Mens short at Sochi. His presence at Sochi rink itself deserves millions of applause. I truly believe so. :yes:
How many times this dude has surprised everyone with his deed; he came back strong, agaist all odds, from series of injuries in his whole career? Like the phoenix! :cool:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Igor Zelensky a famous Russian ballet dancer-probably he will be Plushy's choreographer in the next season- had same surgery. http://www.criticaldance.com/interviews/2003/CriticalDance.com-IgorZelenskyInterview.html - Zelensky had two herniated intervertebral disk surgeries by 2003, when he was about 30. He had to lie in bed for 6 months after surgery. At that time nobody knew if he can dance again, but he made a comeback in 2003.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Okay, more seriously. Considering how severe his injury was, how difficult and a long way, it seems, its surgery and rehab process are, Plushenko is already the WINNER if he stands on ice/takes to ice on the night of Mens short at Sochi. His presence at Sochi rink itself deserves millions of applause. I truly believe so. :yes:
How many times this dude has surprised everyone with his deed; he came back strong, agaist all odds, from series of injuries in his whole career? Like the phoenix! :cool:

:thumbsup:

ciocio

On the Ice
But why is only one style "artistic" - or "artistic" enough?

This isn't specifically about Yagudin or whoever in particular - but a general comment. Why is only ONE style deemed "artistic"? I truly don't understand that - and never will! Quite honestly, I think that is quite... narrowminded. (I hasten to add that this isn't meant for you in particular, ciocio! - even though I'm responding to your comment - it just made me think of it.)

But then... Here, I'll give everyone a sense of the lowness of my tastes so you can ignore my opinions for evermore. I even consider Brian Joubert to be "artistic" - in his own way. There. :)

As I said somewhere else, what matters to me is that a skater lays down their heart & soul on the ice. That to me is "artistry". The particular style in which it is done is... secondary at best. I realise I'm pretty alone in this - but... so be it! I've always said about myself that "I'm only fashionable by mistake" - so, what else is new, really? ;)

There isn't only one style, that's why Yagudin is an artistic skater too, as I've said. But if someone thinks balletic style is the only artistic style in FS, Yagudin doesn't fit this category, IMO.

bestskate8

On the Ice
Skaters don't have to be close in style, to be artistic. imho
I don't see anything common in styles of Cranston and Cousins.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Igor Zelensky a famous Russian ballet dancer-probably he will be Plushy's choreographer in the next season- had same surgery. http://www.criticaldance.com/interviews/2003/CriticalDance.com-IgorZelenskyInterview.html - Zelensky had two herniated intervertebral disk surgeries by 2003, when he was about 30. He had to lie in bed for 6 months after surgery. At that time nobody knew if he can dance again, but he made a comeback in 2003.

Great story! That he came back and everything. The anticipation will be intense!

COR would match what he did in 2009! But then Russian nationals was sooo bad. He won and everything but that free skate was terrible for him - with his standard. He was able to get in the quads and 3A's but it wasn't so good. The working on the programs should be interesting and everything and then there will be the moments of truth with the jumps.

That's a good point, Gmyers: it's not just a story of Plushenko but a story of medicine. I remember in the 1984 Olympics, both marathoner Joan Benoit and gymnast Mary Lou Retton had laparoscopic surgery on a knee mere weeks before the Games. Minimal incision, almost no scar. Each became the champion in her respective event. Reporters made a huge point of the medical advance that allowed these ladies to recover their top form at the right moment for their biggest competition.

I hope that both Plushenko and medical science are at their best for next season.

I didn't know that stuff about retton so that is interesting.

Yes medical science and plushenko really have to be working together in harmony.

Afterr doing the mens events of team being at the mens short of the individual will be great! Though maybe you mean mens short of team all on its own and not just mens short of individual. But both nights of the mens shorts will be great. One would be the first time on Olympic ice in sochi and the second short will be going for the 4th time in a individual event. Which will be 5th time he skates at an Olympics for a medal. One a team one an individual.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Plushy should consider himself blessed if he makes the podium.

You are talking about someone who has won a gold or silver medal in every competition he finished since the 2000-01 season. If he shows up healthy there is no possibility he finishes off the podium unless he bombs.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Afterr doing the mens events of team being at the mens short of the individual will be great! Though maybe you mean mens short of team all on its own and not just mens short of individual. But both nights of the mens shorts will be great. One would be the first time on Olympic ice in sochi and the second short will be going for the 4th time in a individual event. Which will be 5th time he skates at an Olympics for a medal. One a team one an individual.

:eek:: I completely forgot about Team event...Correct. Russia has only one spot for Men, meaning Evgeni has to compete at Team event first...:eek::
Wow, he will have a realistic shot for 5 Olympic medals! If he is able to recover from the injury in time and compete there. Who else in figure skating has ever got 5 Olympic medals? And it's going to ne on his home turf! Just a perfect occasion for this legendary skater. :cool: Now my wish for Team event at Soachi is GOLD for RUSSIA! :party: