Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think it is more likely for all five to have an off day than any ONE to be clean through two programs. This is probably true for Plushenko at this point as well. What is exciting is that if any one of these men rises to the occasion and skates clean he will win. If not, Chan will win.
    So if Chan skates cleanly he will definitely win??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    I know its hypothetical but your comment is also ... IMO if Plushenko had Yagudin's choreo he would not have been able to do it as well as Yags did it.....
    Janna is not talking about Yagudin's programs, but about choreography by Tarasova/Morozov, designed for Plushenko's style and personality of course.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushenko had sprained his ankle at GPF2001, and was injured with hernia problems that caused him to withdraw from Euros, also probably he wanted to change his Lp and not face Yags before Olys, anyway he was not in perfect shape.
    I don't know, I thought, he made the new LP, that was the reason why he didn't compete on Euros.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Sure! Different music = same approach in skating.
    Sure! It's so true about PChan skating!

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think it is more likely for all five to have an off day than any ONE to be clean through two programs. This is probably true for Plushenko at this point as well. What is exciting is that if any one of these men rises to the occasion and skates clean he will win. If not, Chan will win.
    No, I think DMD wanted to say that: 1.Chan are not capable to skate clean in both progs, as we all know, 2. If others will be not clean as well, then Chan will win, as a homologated by ISU holy cow. But I think that DMD forgot about the possibility #3, the one that fs fans are afraid of but it's likely to happen, since it happened a lot in the past- Chan will zamboni the ice multiple times and still win over a better skated guy(s). Disgusting.

Custom Title
    If he skates clean in SP (likely) and clean in his FS (unlikely at this point), nobody will be able to touch him. I don't know if Daisuke (who's the only one who can match Chan on PCS) will have a FS with two rotated, clean quads by then given his struggles with it recently, and even if Plushenko/Hanyu go clean, their PCS won't be enough to catch a clean Chan. Maybe Fernandez can beat him if he matches his Euros performances, though it might take 2 quads in the SP for him to stay competitive with a clean Chan going into the FS.

I think that of all the contenders Hanyu has the best chance of making rapid improvements next season. His asthma is always a concern, but he could come out like gangbusters and catch the other guys treading water.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think that of all the contenders Hanyu has the best chance of making rapid improvements next season. His asthma is always a concern, but he could come out like gangbusters and catch the other guys treading water.
    He's still my pick to win the Olympics. His SP can hang with a clean SP from Chan, and his FS is packed with difficulty. Unfortunately his PCS might hold him back, but I'm thinking he'll certainly be on the podium, and be the highest of the Japanese men. I love how he pushes for that 4S (he really should do 2 quad toes, since his quad toe is a huge points getter and funny enough looks more stable/reliable than his 3Z, which he repeats with the axel)... and it usually scores more than a solo lutz, since he usually stays upright. I think his asthma is affecting his skating less - if he makes errors it's usually on the quads, and he can land both axels after the half-point with reliability. His SP is his strong point, which is why Worlds was such a surprise to see.

Custom Title
    Of all these possible OGM winners listed, Denis Ten has the least chance. He looks more like Jeremy Abbott to me as far as his mental toughness goes. I don't mind to be proved wrong next season. The good thing is that Ten has happened to peak in a better time than Abbott did. So Ten got a world silver but Abbott got none at world level. Even Plushenko, I believe, has a better shot at Sochi podium than Ten.

Custom Title
    I don't think anyone can make up the point gap if Patrick hits his quads and triples.

Custom Title
    But his consistency is really...
    Recently he has ever been had cleaner programs than top skaters and win? PCS just saved him.

Custom Title
    I think Plushenko is the most mentally robust skater going into Sochi and I think that's going to give him more of a boost than a lot of people are reckoning on.

ESPECIALLY if Chan persists with his stupid coaching situation. Come on pal, grow a brain! Get a real coach, not some glorified dance teacher!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Sure! It's so true about PChan skating!
    I'm not the one who claim "the best artistic skater ever".

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I think Plushenko is the most mentally robust skater going into Sochi and I think that's going to give him more of a boost than a lot of people are reckoning on.

ESPECIALLY if Chan persists with his stupid coaching situation. Come on pal, grow a brain! Get a real coach, not some glorified dance teacher!
    So Plushenko's situation is a little like the one Lysacek had in 2010 Olympics. The strongest contenders for OGM may be Chan, Hanyu, and Fernandez. But Takahashi, Plushenko are very close by. And then Ten and Reynolds. Maybe Aaron or Mura or even Amodio becomes a dark horse.

Chan doesn't have much advantages which he had had a couple of years ago when he was with Krall and Nichol. So he is very much just in the mix but not above current crop.

Custom Title
    Of all these possible OGM winners listed, Denis Ten has the least chance. He looks more like Jeremy Abbott to me as far as his mental toughness goes. I don't mind to be proved wrong next season. The good thing is that Ten has happened to peak in a better time than Abbott did. So Ten got a world silver but Abbott got none at world level. Even Plushenko, I believe, has a better shot at Sochi podium than Ten.
    I think Ten does stand a good chance with Frank Carroll on his side. However, it will be difficult for him to replicate the cleanliness of his past Worlds. Hopefully it gives him confidence. But I don't think a World silver is enough to all of a sudden consider him a contender (I mean, look at Leonova, who's at least won GP medals). His GP record hadn't shown any indication that he has a World silver in him, although he certainly earned it. Even with better skates (but still with errors, just not as many), Takahashi/Fernandez/Hanyu might have had difficulty catching him at 2013 Worlds. If he replicates that at the Olympics though, he should end up in the top 5 (assuming errors from at least one or two of the other top guys).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    But his consistency is really...
    Recently he have ever been had cleaner programs than top skaters and win? PCS just saved him.
    Yup, at Rostelcom Cup 2012, he scored 262.35 with decent skates. Even though his top competitors were Kozuka and Brezina, that score was the highest of any of the Grand Prix events this season. The only other competition that he won was at Worlds, which he shouldn't have won (but did win primarily due to a strong SP, and his only competitor being Ten and not the usual major players). He came 2nd and 3rd at his other competitions this season.

As for recent victories, he also had a pretty clean competition at 2012 Worlds (his only major error was a fall on the 2A in his FS... but his top competitors had errors - Hanyu a fall in his FS and singled lutz in his SP FS, Takahashi a downgrade in his SP and UR in his FS, and Chan had 2 quads, so points-wise the win made sense overall, even if his error was more glaring). Four Continents 2012 (where he beat Takahashi) he was clean the whole competition except for a messy landing on his SP quad (probably his cleanest most recent FS where he executed his intended difficulty).

Banned
    I'm not the one who claim "the best artistic skater ever".
    Of course you are not. That would be too embarrasing to claim such a thing about PC.

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast