Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 753

Thread: Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

  1. #391
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Oh, I'm so excited for those new programs! I know, I know... I keep cautioning myself. I know nothing is sure - quite the reverse, in fact. But... I just think that if anyone could do it, it would be Plushy.

    I think to me - and I believe most of his fans (though generally I don't like to speak for other people) - his just being in Sochi will be a victory. I don't doubt he feels the same way - that he knows how difficult the task he has set himself is. But... I also know another thing. Once he steps out on that ice... He'll be in for the kill. Because, that's just the person he is!

    He's in our prayers & thoughts, I'm sure.
    As long as he takes to the ice, we will support him.

  2. #392
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Okay, more seriously. Considering how severe his injury was, how difficult and a long way, it seems, its surgery and rehab process are, Plushenko is already the WINNER if he stands on ice/takes to ice on the night of Mens short at Sochi. His presence at Sochi rink itself deserves millions of applause. I truly believe so.
    How many times this dude has surprised everyone with his deed; he came back strong, agaist all odds, from series of injuries in his whole career? Like the phoenix!

  3. #393
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    That woukd be the ideal but it won't be until December probably that he even gets up to even trying quads! He is doing some training now but no jump training and certainly has all the techniques like totally ingrained and stamped on his brain but august and September of previous years had training videos so even they know to start training early! Or maybe that was for the Japan open! Either way even if the back IS good there is still the knees! So 2012 surgery with knees I think and 2013 surgery on back I mean best wishes to him!!! This is like crazy!! I'm totally interested in this as not only the story of plushenko but medical science. He could be in the new England journal of medicine!! Should be very interesting what layout is probably debuted at Russian nationals!!
    Igor Zelensky a famous Russian ballet dancer-probably he will be Plushy's choreographer in the next season- had same surgery. http://www.criticaldance.com/intervi...Interview.html - Zelensky had two herniated intervertebral disk surgeries by 2003, when he was about 30. He had to lie in bed for 6 months after surgery. At that time nobody knew if he can dance again, but he made a comeback in 2003.

  4. #394
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Okay, more seriously. Considering how severe his injury was, how difficult and a long way, it seems, its surgery and rehab process are, Plushenko is already the WINNER if he stands on ice/takes to ice on the night of Mens short at Sochi. His presence at Sochi rink itself deserves millions of applause. I truly believe so.
    How many times this dude has surprised everyone with his deed; he came back strong, agaist all odds, from series of injuries in his whole career? Like the phoenix!

  5. #395
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    But why is only one style "artistic" - or "artistic" enough?

    This isn't specifically about Yagudin or whoever in particular - but a general comment. Why is only ONE style deemed "artistic"? I truly don't understand that - and never will! Quite honestly, I think that is quite... narrowminded. (I hasten to add that this isn't meant for you in particular, ciocio! - even though I'm responding to your comment - it just made me think of it.)

    But then... Here, I'll give everyone a sense of the lowness of my tastes so you can ignore my opinions for evermore. I even consider Brian Joubert to be "artistic" - in his own way. There.

    As I said somewhere else, what matters to me is that a skater lays down their heart & soul on the ice. That to me is "artistry". The particular style in which it is done is... secondary at best. I realise I'm pretty alone in this - but... so be it! I've always said about myself that "I'm only fashionable by mistake" - so, what else is new, really?
    There isn't only one style, that's why Yagudin is an artistic skater too, as I've said. But if someone thinks balletic style is the only artistic style in FS, Yagudin doesn't fit this category, IMO.

  6. #396
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I agree with Janna even if I adore Yagudin. He was artistic too but not in the way Curry, Cousins or Cranston were. Lambiel and Takahashi are closer to their style.
    Skaters don't have to be close in style, to be artistic. imho
    I don't see anything common in styles of Cranston and Cousins.

  7. #397
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Plushy should consider himself blessed if he makes the podium.
    Same as other top 10 skaters.

  8. #398
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,790
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Igor Zelensky a famous Russian ballet dancer-probably he will be Plushy's choreographer in the next season- had same surgery. http://www.criticaldance.com/intervi...Interview.html - Zelensky had two herniated intervertebral disk surgeries by 2003, when he was about 30. He had to lie in bed for 6 months after surgery. At that time nobody knew if he can dance again, but he made a comeback in 2003.
    Great story! That he came back and everything. The anticipation will be intense!

    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    At the end of May, they will start working on new short and long programs in Moscow with the choreographer of the capital. And, they will go to the summer camps in Italy and Estonia. They will also leave for Sochi for the camp and the test skate.
    If he will be healthy he will compete in COR in my opinion...
    COR would match what he did in 2009! But then Russian nationals was sooo bad. He won and everything but that free skate was terrible for him - with his standard. He was able to get in the quads and 3A's but it wasn't so good. The working on the programs should be interesting and everything and then there will be the moments of truth with the jumps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That's a good point, Gmyers: it's not just a story of Plushenko but a story of medicine. I remember in the 1984 Olympics, both marathoner Joan Benoit and gymnast Mary Lou Retton had laparoscopic surgery on a knee mere weeks before the Games. Minimal incision, almost no scar. Each became the champion in her respective event. Reporters made a huge point of the medical advance that allowed these ladies to recover their top form at the right moment for their biggest competition.

    I hope that both Plushenko and medical science are at their best for next season.
    I didn't know that stuff about retton so that is interesting.

    Yes medical science and plushenko really have to be working together in harmony.

    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Okay, more seriously. Considering how severe his injury was, how difficult and a long way, it seems, its surgery and rehab process are, Plushenko is already the WINNER if he stands on ice/takes to ice on the night of Mens short at Sochi. His presence at Sochi rink itself deserves millions of applause. I truly believe so.
    How many times this dude has surprised everyone with his deed; he came back strong, agaist all odds, from series of injuries in his whole career? Like the phoenix!
    Afterr doing the mens events of team being at the mens short of the individual will be great! Though maybe you mean mens short of team all on its own and not just mens short of individual. But both nights of the mens shorts will be great. One would be the first time on Olympic ice in sochi and the second short will be going for the 4th time in a individual event. Which will be 5th time he skates at an Olympics for a medal. One a team one an individual.

  9. #399
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,728
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Plushy should consider himself blessed if he makes the podium.
    You are talking about someone who has won a gold or silver medal in every competition he finished since the 2000-01 season. If he shows up healthy there is no possibility he finishes off the podium unless he bombs.

  10. #400
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Afterr doing the mens events of team being at the mens short of the individual will be great! Though maybe you mean mens short of team all on its own and not just mens short of individual. But both nights of the mens shorts will be great. One would be the first time on Olympic ice in sochi and the second short will be going for the 4th time in a individual event. Which will be 5th time he skates at an Olympics for a medal. One a team one an individual.
    I completely forgot about Team event...Correct. Russia has only one spot for Men, meaning Evgeni has to compete at Team event first...
    Wow, he will have a realistic shot for 5 Olympic medals! If he is able to recover from the injury in time and compete there. Who else in figure skating has ever got 5 Olympic medals? And it's going to ne on his home turf! Just a perfect occasion for this legendary skater. Now my wish for Team event at Soachi is GOLD for RUSSIA!

  11. #401
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    212
    Can Plushenko win 2014 Olympic Men's gold? I wouldn't bet against him!

  12. #402
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,280
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    You are talking about someone who has won a gold or silver medal in every competition he finished since the 2000-01 season. If he shows up healthy there is no possibility he finishes off the podium unless he bombs.
    You forgot the Japan Open, which was recent, where he finished 4th behind Jeff Buttle. And even if he had finished Europeans 2013, he would have likely been off the podium (he would have needed a FS of about 170).

    Saying there's no possibility he finishes off the Sochi podium is quite a statement. It's more like, there's no possibility for him to finish on the podium unless others bomb.

  13. #403
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    You forgot the Japan Open, which was recent, where he finished 4th behind Jeff Buttle. And even if he had finished Europeans 2013, he would have likely been off the podium (he would have needed a FS of about 170).

    Saying there's no possibility he finishes off the Sochi podium is quite a statement. It's more like, there's no possibility for him to finish on the podium unless others bomb.
    CSG, you are really funny! Japan Open isn't a serious competition. Plushy also competed in JO 2010.
    1.Rippon
    2.Dai
    3.Plushy

    Plushy skated the Nijinsky, because he asked his Japanese fans, when he visited Japan on Sep (that was Plushy's 30th show in Japan 2010) which program "Tango or Nijinsky", and the fans chose Nijinsky.

    He prepared for it for just only two-three weeks making some adjustments for the new rule ,

  14. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    You forgot the Japan Open, which was recent, where he finished 4th behind Jeff Buttle.

    Saying there's no possibility he finishes off the Sochi podium is quite a statement. It's more like, there's no possibility for him to finish on the podium unless others bomb.
    Then by your own logic there's no possibility for Chan to finish on the podium in Sochi because he was the last one at the Japan Open.

    Someone got lost in his own trollling.

  15. #405
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,280
    That was in response to Plushenko "never being off the podium since 2001". I didn't say that competition was my reasoning for him not being a podium favourite. My reasoning is that there are currently too many guys to challenge him for the podium, and with his injury, it's unlikely that he will be able to have a program with two quads... heck, it's a miracle if he even competes.

    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    CSG, you are really funny! Japan Open isn't a serious competition.
    If 2012 Japan Open wasn't a serious competition, then why would he attempt 2 quads and 2 triple axels, and do all of his combos and whatnot? Clearly he was taking it seriously, even if he didn't execute it well.

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •