Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    He did a show already? Is that really wise? Why can't he just relax and take care of his back. He is rushing it again.
    how do you know he is not relaxing and not taking care of his back, have you been in his shoes

Custom Title
    If he can regain his peak form (which I doubt due to health reasons) I think he can 100% win. I think he is fully capable of delivering programs like Dennis put out there, and with his reputation and being on home ice he would outscore Dennis by a sizable margin. If Patrick is totally clean he should absolutely win, but Patrick is not a skater who is usually clean. The other top guys from Japan and Europe also struggle to deliver clean programs. Plushy is the only skater who has shown the ability to deal with Olympic pressure.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I didn't count him out in 2010, because he'd never had poor results up until that point, but some past results for Plushenko have certainly shown vulnerability, particularly Euros, as a result of injury.
    Some results is one bad short program this season , since I dont know, worlds 2005?

On topic, I m worried about his health that I havent be able to think of him competing in Sochi, let alone land on the podium.

Is there a video from this show he appeared?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Some results is one bad short program this season , since I dont know, worlds 2005?

On topic, I m worried about his health that I havent be able to think of him competing in Sochi, let alone land on the podium.

Just

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98v5ZDhNY64&t=2m57s

Custom Title

I think CanadianSkaterGuy is referring to his EC2013 SP, I think his point would be if Plushy was clean his score should be still OK, but if he made mistakes, he does not have Chan's cushion to still lead.

Plushy did not really "perform", he did some steps and one spin. Quite simple movements. Even his skating speed is not fast, so I think he is quite careful with the recovery pace (finger crossed).

Custom Title
    Along with his Euros 2013 SP I'm also considering his performance at the 2012 Japan Open, where he had a FS with multiple errors, including a fall (http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNatio...o/data0105.pdf). And he wasn't as sharp as usual at 2013 Russian Nationals where he won (Plushenko's SP had a 4T-2T, Plushenko's FS had errors on his quad and 2nd lutz, along with no level 4s in his SP or FS; Voronov actually outscored him on TES in both segments). At the 2012 Russian Nationals that he won his SP had a shaky quad and 3Z-2T, and in his FS he botched both lutzes. Still great Nationals performances, but not the level of consistency he's capable of pre-2012.

I'm hoping he takes sufficient time to recover. It's always great to see him in a competition as it incites all the other guys to bring their best programs, and Sochi wouldn't be the same without him.

Custom Title
    Along with his Euros 2013 SP I'm also considering his performance at the 2012 Japan Open, where he had a FS with multiple errors, including a fall (http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNatio...o/data0105.pdf). And he wasn't as sharp as usual at 2013 Russian Nationals where he won (Plushenko's SP had a 4T-2T, Plushenko's FS had errors on his quad and 2nd lutz, along with no level 4s in his SP or FS; Voronov actually outscored him on TES in both segments). At the 2012 Russian Nationals that he won his SP had a shaky quad and 3Z-2T, and in his FS he botched both lutzes. Still great Nationals performances, but not the level of consistency he's capable of pre-2012.

I'm hoping he takes sufficient time to recover. It's always great to see him in a competition as it incites all the other guys to bring their best programs, and Sochi wouldn't be the same without him.
    He was injured when competing in all these competitions, even the EC2012 he won with injury. This is more related to his health than his techniques.
    So the most important thing for him is to recover well and complete so that he could skate to his maximum.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    He was injured when competing in all these competitions, even the EC2012 he won with injury. This is more related to his health than his techniques.
    So the most important thing for him is to recover well and complete so that he could skate to his maximum.
    Yup, I mentioned that in my initial post, that his less than ideal performances have been due to injury, and hence why I'm more skeptical about his chances in Sochi than in 2010 when he never really showed any signs of having lost consistency or injury after returning to the ice.

Plush was injured, as Yaya said. And remember since Vancouver Plush has competed in a total of five times. Nat Rus 2012, ECH 2012, Japan Open 2012, Nat Rus 2013 and ECH 2013 WD.
    I'm worried about his health, not his result in Sochi.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Plush was injured, as Yaya said. And remember since Vancouver Plush has competed in a total of five times. Nat Rus 2012, ECH 2012, Japan Open 2012, Nat Rus ECH 2013 and 2013 WD.
    I'm worried about his health, not his result in Sochi.
    Please read my post just above yours as well as my initial post where I said that his poor results were likely due to injury. I'm also worried about his health, and hope he'll be healthy enough to compete in Sochi, too. His result won't probably be very good, but even showing up would be remarkable -- his 4th Olympics as a men's singles skater in this day and time!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Thanx..I have various feelings, it must be painful for him not to be able to move a lot, physically and emotionally ..

If we see another splatfest... why not? He'll have the reputation score, so his PCS won't be hurt, add to this home advantage and his stellar nerves. Olympics is a mental game, I've heard. If Plushenko will be healthy and will be able just to land what he plans, that's possible, not likely though.

Custom Title
    Of course Plushenko can take can take the Sochi mens' title! No doubt there's a platinum medal waiting in a vault somewhere that he can award himself in the event those evil judges don't recognize his genius!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Diva View Post
    Of course Plushenko can take can take the Sochi mens' title! No doubt there's a platinum medal waiting in a vault somewhere that he can award himself in the event those evil judges don't recognize his genius!
    He did not award himself a platinum medal ever. He accepted silver and did the medal ceremony and everything and has photos of himself with silver on his website. That is also the only place the silver medal was written about as platinum. I believe the picture was of the silver medal but said platinum of Vancouver but that was not him personally.

But he clearly stated he felt he had won, done enough to win. he was shocked, and it was bad treatment he gave Evan. Jumping up on the gold podium was wrong. As much as I like him and forgive the diva part of him, that was just plain disrespectful to the gold winner of 2010. I am sure he regrets his behavior. In retrospect, I hope he was embarassed, but I doubt it. This is why people feel the Russians are not good sports. Irina behaved similarly. Maybe there was no platinum medal but didn't Putin say it was or some other high profile Russian? Who said that it was platinum? His fan club? I recall it was said. Again, this detracted from the win by American Evan Lysacek, though not by much to me. It may not have been a large point spread, but i thought it was absolutely the right podium.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast