World Team Trophy 2013 Men | Page 17 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy 2013 Men

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here Menshov's X-ray before and after the injury: http://instagram.com/p/YFS7z-B0L6/# He was in K&C on Day 3 with Team Russia, was wearing some kind of a bandage (don't know the right English term) where his arm was resting, but he "covered" all this stuff with the Russian flag, probably in order not to expose a painful view for everyone, and to cheer for his Team as well. Here he is at the banquet. Looks fine!: http://instagram.com/p/YDGBbvCBXJ/# Get better, Man! :love:

Thank you a lot for the follow-up info on Menshov's injury, Let's talk. :)
Looking at those X-rays, it seems medical treatment to put his dislocated shoulder back to its appropriate position was a success! I am so relieved and glad to see his smile! :yes:

"Thank you so much for coming to Tokyo, Konstantin! Your SP was a highlight for me on Day 1 at WTT. You rocked the house! :rock: Get well soon and please have a safe trip to go home! :)"

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I guess he published the xrays so journalists wouldn't accuse him of faking an injury. :)

??? :confused: What does it have to do with anything?

And btw Plu also published his xrays and was accused of faking.

Look at it this way. If a journalist writes/says something mean and foolish about a skater, that is the journalist revealing him/herself as mean and foolish, not the skate. :)

??? :confused: What does it have to do with anything?

Sorry. I thought it was a funny joke. I guess not.

Here was my thought process. At first I thought, why is the hospital releasing Menshov's xrays in violation of all medical ethics. Then I saw that it was Menshov who put the xrays in public view. I wondered why he would do that; usually medical treatments are private business between the doctor and the patient. Then I remembered the Plushenko situation. So then I thought -- ha, ha -- maybe from now on all athletes will feel like they have to prove that all their injuries are real.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right after Menshov fell, you could see the way his arm was just hanging there that he had dislocated his shoulder. That must have hurt like the dickens. BTW, manipulating the shoulder back in position requires pulling the arm really hard and that procedure is even more painful than the original injury!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am always serious. You keep repeating "Chan is a better skater than everyone else" but he is not. Your only proof and defence is "vast majority of fs world" but you give no evidence of where this "majority" was actually voted and calculated. You are not the vast majority of fs world. To bring judges' PCS as a proof is plain stupid because that is exactly what is being critisized in Chan's score and CoP in general. So, take your own advice and get over yourself until you have the real argument. Seriously. :p

Think about what you're saying. When you say the figure skating world doesn't find him to be an excellent skater and the very individuals that the figure skating world appoints to assess him clearly consider him to be an excellent skater, I don't understand how you can be so dismissive. You have no real argument as to why he isn't an excellent skater - as far as skating skills, speed, difficult and interesting choreography, and edge work.

As somebody said he isn't the skater with the most musicality or expression but his artistry on the blade is arguably unparalleled and this is rewarded (as it should be). Look up many articles about Chan's skating ability and most of them will remark about how intricate and difficult his programs are. Just because you hate him isn't really bringing anything to the table as to why he is not an excellent skater.

Why do you think he isn't an excellent skater (and we're not talking about jumps or errors, just general ability? And please don't quote some Russian woman in an article. :p

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
HTML:
Also, here, Chan lost to Dai on P/I... So I don't get the complaints when the judges acknowledge that he's a better performer and more expressive than Chan. It's ridiculous to hate a skater because they're not as expressive as arguably the most expressive skater in the men's field. Are you upset that Ten got better PE/IN marks than Dai at Worlds? Expression is just a part of skating... But theatrics shouldn't be what separates skaters, otherwise it wouldn't be respected as a sport. Not that I don't appreciate great artistry and musicality, but they're not supposed to be artists first - they're supposed to be athletes first.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AFAIAC, a major component of great skating is the skater keeping his/her butt off the ice while demonstrating mastery of jumps and spins with difficult and intricate choreography. At the Worlds FS and the WTT SP and FS, we didn't see that from Chan, therefore it was not great skating.

I also noticed that Chan looked a little heavier than he had at Worlds. It was especially noticeable in the exhibition. His pants barely fit. I guess he didn't do much in the way of practice between Worlds and WTT.

figuristka

Medalist
Patrick is the best skater in skating skills as in edge quality, flow, effortless power, steps, turns etc his skating is seamless which makes its beautiful in technique and presentation. Though with alot of errors i can see people's point in wondering why he can still win. Dai is the best skater in artisty, the way he moves is heartfelt and his movements so natural and detailed. He is like a dancer. I think his arm movements are above other skaters.I do think he is not rewarded enough for performance execution and Interpretation in general.I think musicality should play a bigger role in judging. I love both for different reasons but Patrick sure struggled in his LP at WTT even more than Worlds. I hope to see both Patrick and Dai on the podium at Olympics. I want them both to make good decisions for next season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Right after Menshov fell, you could see the way his arm was just hanging there that he had dislocated his shoulder. That must have hurt like the dickens. BTW, manipulating the shoulder back in position requires pulling the arm really hard and that procedure is even more painful than the original injury!

Konstantin had anaesthetic for the relocation. ;)

deedee1

Record Breaker
I love both for different reasons.
I hope to see both Patrick and Dai on the podium at Olympics. I want them both to make good decisions for next season.

:yes: This is one of good reasons of being a skating fan for me. I love lots of skaters for different reasons and root for them. So I want all skaters to make good decisions for next season and to do well in their own ways, because it also is the Olympic season, which happens once in every four years, and is the 'dream' place to compete for all atheletes in the world! I have no doubts there are lots of skating fans who feel the same way. :)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Think about what you're saying. When you say the figure skating world doesn't find him to be an excellent skater and the very individuals that the figure skating world appoints to assess him clearly consider him to be an excellent skater, I don't understand how you can be so dismissive. You have no real argument as to why he isn't an excellent skater... Just because you hate him isn't really bringing anything to the table as to why he is not an excellent skater.
Yes, indeed. Think about what you are saying. When you say the very individuals that the figure skating world appoint to assess him clearly consider him to be an excellent skater and the figure skating world doesn't find him to be an excellent skater, I don't understand how you can be so dismissive. You have no real argument and keep repeating "He's the best skater because judges said so. Judges are always right." But they are not. Just because you love him isn't really bringing anything to the table as to why he is not a booed champion. You know, he is a booed one.

I told you I too can type. :popcorn:

It's unbelievable how somebody can be so slow. And a grande finale:
Look up many articles about Chan's skating ability and most of them will remark about how intricate and difficult his programs are... And please don't quote some Russian woman in an article.
So, articles where PChan's skills are praised should be looked up. But those where they are not, shouldn't be quoted. Classic! :laugh:
Patrick is the best skater in skating skills as in edge quality, flow, effortless power, steps, turns etc his skating is seamless which makes its beautiful in technique and presentation.
Only in the protocols. In reality he moves like a 100kg sack on blades that tries to keep the balance. When he falls, the sound of hitting the ice is just like that- a 100kg sack flopped. Too heavy and too noisy. No, thanks.
You rocked the house! Get well soon and please have a safe trip to go home!
He said to R-media that he got so many gifts from fans in Japan that he had to buy a new suitcase to bring them home. The problem is that he can't carry any suitcase now at all. But he added it's not a big deal because his team members and coaches will deliver his luggage :) . In his instagram he replied to fans: "I can move my arm a little, thanks God I have another arm!" ;)

Here's a J-news clip where you can see a little of backstage, the moment when an injuried Menshov is coming back from the ice and Dai preparing to skate: http://vk.com/video-2152302_164892331?hash=06880946695e159b

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, indeed. Think about what you are saying. When you say the very individuals that the figure skating world appoint to assess him clearly consider him to be an excellent skater and the figure skating world doesn't find him to be an excellent skater, I don't understand how you can be so dismissive. You have no real argument and keep repeating "He's the best skater because judges said so. Judges are always right." But they are not. Just because you love him isn't really bringing anything to the table as to why he is not a booed champion. You know, he is a booed one.

Where is your evidence that the figure skating world doesn't find Chan to be an excellent skater (in terms of skating ability)?

And where are your arguments about him not being an excellent skater other than "when he falls he falls noisy" (because when others fall, they don't make noise?!). And to say he's like 100 kg sack on blades is absolutely delusional - you don't even have to be a hardcore fan of his to acknowledge that he has excellent edge work, good speed, and difficult/complex choreography.

Bash him all you want, but whatever, Chan still ends up medalling/winning and it probably drives you crazy because you can't acknowledge the truth that he IS an excellent skater. You've got insults, but Chan's got medals. :laugh:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Where is your evidence that the figure skating world doesn't find Chan to be an excellent skater (in terms of skating ability)?

And where are your arguments about him not being an excellent skater other than "when he falls he falls noisy" (because when others fall, they don't make noise?!). And to say he's like 100 kg sack on blades is absolutely delusional - you don't even have to be a hardcore fan of his to know that he has excellent edge work, good speed, and difficult/complex choreography.

Bash him all you want, but whatever, Chan still ends up medalling/winning and it probably drives you crazy because you can't acknowledge the truth that he IS an excellent skater. You've got insults, he's got medals. :laugh:
Where is your evidence that the figure skating world finds him to be an excellent skater, besides judges's scores?

And where is your arguments about him being an excellent skater other than "judges give him the highest score, so he is the best!"? And to say that he is not like 100 kg sack on blades is absolutely delusion- you didn't even attend the WTT arena. You don't have to be a hater of him to know that other skaters have excellent skating skills as well, and besides that they don't zamboni the ice and have mountains better musicality and artisty in general.

Worship him all you want, but whatever, Chan will ends up stealing medals from other skaters, being an embarrasment of this sport and it probably drives you crazy because you can't achnowledge the truth that he ISN'T an excellent skater. He's got booed, you've got sour grapes. :laugh:

I told you I too can type.

Can Skate Canada offer a better trolling? This one is boring. I am disappointed. Yawn. :disapp:

Moderator's note. This two-way joust has long since ceased to interest other members of the forum. Now you are even boring yourselves. If you must continue, please take it to private message.

(These high maintenance threads just make more work for poor me, what with unapproving posts, fielding complaints, etc. More work for Mathman = bad. One big happy = good. :yes: )

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree with Mathman on this.
I don't want to have to work too hard either cleaning up after a bickering session.

Please take this to PM?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So wonderful to hear that Konstantin is so upbeat. I really hope this doesn't set back his training for next season. He needs to be sparkling on all cylinders so that he can continue to deliver his monumental FU to the RuFed!

Here is a photo Konstantin posted on instagram, visiting the Tokyo Medical University Hospital. (At least this pic doesn't have horrifying x-rays.)

Obviously his phone-hand is still good! :laugh:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the update. Konstantin looks good. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan is a world champion who can't seem to skate clean programs with more than 4 jumps. I find his performances to be completely uninspiring and not even entertaining. My opinion of his as a skater is that he and his programs are just .... meh ....

I don't really care who wins the medals in FS because the judging is SO chronically suspect and political. I like to watch the skating and the programs. I can't wait for Chan to retire! That way I never have to see him skate, and I won't have to read all the nonsence he pouts out in the media.

I can't wait! 10 months to Sochi and the end of Chan's time in eligible competition.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Chan wins a medal of some color in Sochi, although I'd prefer that it not be gold. I just want him to go AWAY! Every time he wins with a dismal performance, the boards explode. And Chan himself always seems to find a way to stick his foot firmly in his mouth, causing yet another board explosion.

Bye, Paddy, be sure to shut the lights out and close the door when you leave!