World Team Trophy 2013 Ladies | Page 6 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy 2013 Ladies

hanca

Record Breaker
Clearly you just have it out for Osmond alone, which makes me respect all of your comments less.

Oh, no, sky_fly20 doesn't have it only for Osmond. If you look into this poster's past post, you may find out that he/she doesn't have much nice and positive to say about anyone, including Marchei, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Gosviani, Leonova, Miahara... As for respect for this poster's comments...well I don't have any respect any more.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am really confused as to how Gracie can score 5 points ahead of Kaetlyn, when essentially they made the same error. Very odd scoring...also Ashley with a fall and a two-footer...and placed ahead of Mao who fell on a tougher jump?? The scoring is definitely bizarre.

Gracie fell on 3z+3t but got credit for a fully rotated 3t. Kaetlyn fell on 3t+3t, but her second jump was downgraded, so in actuality she did 3t+2t (fall). Gracie's total for jumps was 16.54; Kaetlyn's jump total was 13.69. Gracie got L4 on all her spins and footwork, for a total of 16.93 (with GOE). Kaetlyn had two L4 spins, one L3 spin and L3 footwork. Her total with GOE was 14.38. So Gracie had a 2.95 lead on jumps and a 2.55 lead on spins and footwork, for a total of 5.40. Kaetlyn seemed stunned by her fall on the combo and she wasn't her usual spritely self for the rest of the program, while Gracie gave a spirited performance of her SP for the first time this season. That's why her PCS score was slightly higher than Kaetlyn's.

Ashley's 3f+3t was underrotated, and she also underrotated her 2a, which she almost fell on. However, Mao fell on a DOWNGRADED 3a and she also underrotated the 3f in the combo; she received only 1.80 for the 3a<< and only 4.40 for the URd combo, and 6.01 for the 3lo. Ashley got 6.50 for the 3f+3t<, 1.10 for the 2a and 6.71 for the 3lo. So Mao's TES was lower than Ashley's, and she received a -1.00 for the fall. Ashley didn't get a fall deduction for the 2a, just a UR. Mao got higher PCS, but not enough to overtake Ashley.

The scoring is right on. Most of the ladies made mistakes, which is about par for this anticlimactic competition.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 67.13 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 66.56 Short Program
3. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 60.98 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 59.77 Short Program
5. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 59.39 Short Program
6. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 58.51 Short Program
7. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 55.18 Short Program
8. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 54.97 Short Program
9. Zijun LI (CHN) - 53.16 Short Program
10. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 49.94 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Lenaelle GILLERON-GORRY (FRA) - 49.41 Short Program
12. Gabrielle DALEMAN (CAN) - 48.82 Short Program

Adding Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry's SP

happyskate6

Rinkside
Oh, no, sky_fly20 doesn't have it only for Osmond. If you look into this poster's past post, you may find out that he/she doesn't have much nice and positive to say about anyone, including Marchei, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Gosviani, Leonova, Miahara... As for respect for this poster's comments...well I don't have any respect any more.
hanca, you are correct. I didn't look at sky_fly's previous postings. I apologize to you, sky_fly, for making a snap judgment. However, I still disagree with the statement that Osmond fell "as expected".

happyskate6

Rinkside
Gracie fell on 3z+3t but got credit for a fully rotated 3t. Kaetlyn fell on 3t+3t, but her second jump was downgraded, so in actuality she did 3t+2t (fall). Gracie's total for jumps was 16.54; Kaetlyn's jump total was 13.69. Gracie got L4 on all her spins and footwork, for a total of 16.93 (with GOE). Kaetlyn had two L4 spins, one L3 spin and L3 footwork. Her total with GOE was 14.38. So Gracie had a 2.95 lead on jumps and a 2.55 lead on spins and footwork, for a total of 5.40. Kaetlyn seemed stunned by her fall on the combo and she wasn't her usual spritely self for the rest of the program, while Gracie gave a spirited performance of her SP for the first time this season. That's why her PCS score was slightly higher than Kaetlyn's.

Ashley's 3f+3t was underrotated, and she also underrotated her 2a, which she almost fell on. However, Mao fell on a DOWNGRADED 3a and she also underrotated the 3f in the combo; she received only 1.80 for the 3a<< and only 4.40 for the URd combo, and 6.01 for the 3lo. Ashley got 6.50 for the 3f+3t<, 1.10 for the 2a and 6.71 for the 3lo. So Mao's TES was lower than Ashley's, and she received a -1.00 for the fall. Ashley didn't get a fall deduction for the 2a, just a UR. Mao got higher PCS, but not enough to overtake Ashley.

The scoring is right on. Most of the ladies made mistakes, which is about par for this anticlimactic competition.

Awesome explanation. Thank you for this, chuckm!

bramweld

Record Breaker
I know I'm late, but why oh why is Akiko not in the lead? Sure Adelina's jumps were impressive, but Akiko actually moves to the music. Adelina is good but for this performance she couldn't have been more wooden; unless this is what you call interpretation. I've just got this feeling that the judges would rather let anyone win but Akiko and I DON'T LIKE IT!!:mad: There I've said my mind; now back to work.

Krislite

Medalist
I know I'm late, but why oh why is Akiko not in the lead? Sure Adelina's jumps were impressive, but Akiko actually moves to the music. Adelina is good but for this performance she couldn't have been more wooden; unless this is what you call interpretation. I've just got this feeling that the judges would rather let anyone win but Akiko and I DON'T LIKE IT!!:mad: There I've said my mind; now back to work.

??? Akiko did a 3T+2T for her combo vs. Adelina's 3Lz+3T< , and yet she's only behind by 1 point. That's actually pretty good. She was hardly robbed of a higher placement.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
??? Akiko did a 3T+2T for her combo vs. Adelina's 3Lz+3T< , and yet she's only behind by 1 point. That's actually pretty good. She was hardly robbed of a higher placement.

Well, 3T-2T was clean.
3Flutz-3T< both triples had problems.

I think a clean 3T-2T should beat a 3Flutz-3T<

I agree with the result, though.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Why do I feel Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry's style is so much like Brian Joubert, so masculine, in a good way, especially her hand movement, and her flying sit spins. Joubert has such a great influence on French figure skating?

Reginald

Match Penalty
Wait! Ashley Wagner is dating Andrew Poje? Or am I reading things?

Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010 33m
Happy birthday to the love of my life @WeaverPoje!!!!! Last long of the year and then the celebration commences!!!!:D xoxoxoxo

ForeverFish

Medalist
Woo! Adelina! :love: Even if she doesn't win gold, I'd be amazed to see her place off the podium.

So proud of Akiko for pulling it together after Worlds and giving us a beautiful demonstration of her abilities. I wouldn't mind if SHE won, honestly.

At this point, Gracie's problem isn't so much consistency as a lack of motivation. She'll never have to train these programs again after this event, and her mind is probably already on her prospective Olympic programs. WTT is more of a fun event than a competition, far removed from the stress of Worlds, and she knows that she's proven herself on the biggest international stage there is. But I do hope that she skates clean in the FS.

I'm so proud of Ashley for going for the 3-3, even if it was UR. It shows that she's serious about this upcoming season, which will be the most important of her career.

Mao was beautiful, as always, even with the fall. She needs some time over the summer to improve the technique, but she's also a current medal threat if she hits most of her triples in the FS.

What happened to Kaetlyn, Liza, and Zijun? :cry:

OK, it's an athletic competition and you have to take things like bad falls into account. But Mao is still the skater that I could watch all day long. :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, 3T-2T was clean.
3Flutz-3T< both triples had problems.

I think a clean 3T-2T should beat a 3Flutz-3T<

I agree with the result, though.
Not sure because a 3flutz 3t is far harder not only an extra rotation and more difficult jump to start with two different jumps in combo are much harder timing wise to perform.

Icey

Record Breaker
Why is Ashley having trouble with her 2 ax this year? She will undoubtedly be on the usa Olympic team, but i think she is going to have a hard time defending her national title next year.

Trewyn

Medalist
Why is Ashley having trouble with her 2 ax this year? She will undoubtedly be on the usa Olympic team, but i think she is going to have a hard time defending her national title next year.

Ashley has had issues with her 2A in the past, it's not new. She says it's on of her strongest jumps, but she's gotten downgraded on it before (especially in the 2010-2011 season). When an axel is short on rotation, I think it's hard to stay on your feet (ask Mao ;) )

I agree that defending her title won't be as 'easy' as it was this year.

Otoh: has John Nicks really retired :( I really, really missed seeing him in the Kiss & cry with Ashley yesterday. At first I thought, oh it's a minor competition, maybe it was easier to only take Mills, but then I realized that John Nicks was seriously considering retirement and he might not be Ashley's coach the Olympic season! I think Team Ashley will be poorer without him and I really hope he'll change his mind...

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Ashley has had issues with her 2A in the past, it's not new. She says it's on of her strongest jumps, but she's gotten downgraded on it before (especially in the 2010-2011 season). When an axel is short on rotation, I think it's hard to stay on your feet (ask Mao ;) )

Otoh: has John Nicks really retired :( I really, really missed seeing him in the Kiss & cry with Ashley yesterday. At first I thought, oh it's a minor competition, maybe it was easier to only take Mills, but then I realized that John Nicks was seriously considering retirement and he might not be Ashley's coach the Olympic season! I think Team Ashley will be poorer without him and I really hope he'll change his mind...

I could see Nicks "semi-retiring" as in: he'll coach Ashley while based at his home, but doesn't want to travel long-distance much anymore. I've always been of the opinion, at least for an adult athlete, that the greatest value of the coach comes during the training sessions....if the athlete can't get the skills and program down pat by the time the competition rolls around, then the coach probably isn't going to be much help at that point. As for psychology, a seasoned veteran that's beyond childhood should be able to "get the job done" whether or not coach or mommy is standing by the boards or not.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It was easy for Ashley to defend her title this year? Didn't look like it to me considering she escaped by the skin of her teeth and by the worried look on her face after her LP.