Will Tuktamysheva lose a spot for the Olympics Team? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Will Tuktamysheva lose a spot for the Olympics Team?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
chuckm is right. Starving yourself won't change the body type that you're genetically programmed to have.

Let's put it this way: Would you rather have Liza looking the way she is now--broad in the hips and shoulders--or would you rather have her be so weak from self-starvation that she can't land her jumps?

Liza is 16. Should I correct myself? The VAST MAJORITY of teenage girls enjoy ice cream.

All starving herself will do is mess up her metabolism and ruin her jumps. Look at Leonova, she eats once a day and she's barely thinner than she was before and her jumps are a mess. She did lose some weight but she's always going to have short, muscular legs and a fuller chest, that is just the way she's built and she could jump fine with that build before she decided eating a fraction of the calories she needs per day was a good idea...

Gede eats once a day and did lose a lot of weight but her jumps have gone MIA and she didn't even make the FS for Worlds. In both cases, these girls were better jumpers/more consistent before they started the questionable eating and losing weight. You don't need to be a stick to be a good jumper. There are lots of skinny girls who can't do triples or can't rotate them and some of the best jumpers in the sport were more solid in their figures - Ito, Harding, Slutskaya, Hughes, etc. A lot of girls will put on weight the years following puberty and then lose it later or it becomes redistributed as they become adults, Liza is likely just going through this phase now. Plus I have seen pictures of her mother, she is short and stocky so chances are Liza's genetics have predisposed herself to being built like that which is something her diet and exercise regimen can only change so much.

For the record, the only area I think Liza looks thicker in is her thighs, and that's only because they are so muscular. She doesn't have much of a waist but that's likely due to her age and short stature, but otherwise, she looks like a fit, athletic 16 year old. And she can still do the jumps perfectly, maybe not consistently, but if she can do 3lz-3t and 2a-3t with ease like we saw her do so many times this season with her current body shape, then to suggest she's unfit or her body type is hurting her jumps doesn't really make sense. Stamina might be an issue and something she could work on, but from what I can tell, the issue is mostly nerves, and fatigue, she was sick numerous times this season.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Is this true? :eek: That's terrible... :no:

I didn't know this, but that could explain a lot. And it's awful that those two were desperate enough for self-starvation.

Tukt's costumes this year have shown that she and her team are conscious of the fact that she's grown broader, which can't be pleasant knowledge for a girl of her age. She's so tiny that any extra weight makes her look wider than she really is, but dressing in all black only draws attention to the fact.

ranjake

Final Flight
I think that little Tukt is adorable and has a lot of potential- and she's NOT fat by any means, imo- but she does seem uncomfortable in her body. If anything- just wondering- if she has the kind of bloating that sometimes comes from not eating enough proper foods/protein/a balanced diet. I did not think her shoulders looked broad and her legs looked fine; I much preferred her without the all black costume.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is this true? :eek: That's terrible... :no:

I heard from other posters that Gede tells people openly about eating one meal per day and as for Leonova...she brags about it on her blog :rolleye: . Clearly it is NOT helping their skating so they should really just eat properly... Anyways athletes generally need to eat a lot and I would imagine Tuk is probably kept on a strict diet anyways so unless she's sneaking chocolate and potato chips into her bedroom at night I kind of doubt her diet is the issue. Also, maybe Mishin does not want to be an *** about the situation because he too is someone who is short and stocky by nature and recognizes Liza is likely the same way and really will not benefit from ridicule or starvation? Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I heard from other posters that Gede tells people openly about eating one meal per day and as for Leonova...she brags about it on her blog :rolleye: . Clearly it is NOT helping their skating so they should really just eat properly... Anyways athletes generally need to eat a lot and I would imagine Tuk is probably kept on a strict diet anyways so unless she's sneaking chocolate and potato chips into her bedroom at night I kind of doubt her diet is the issue. Also, maybe Mishin does not want to be an a** about the situation because he too is someone who is short and stocky by nature and recognizes Liza is likely the same way and really will not benefit from ridicule or starvation? Just a thought...
Poor girls... I hope Liza doesn't begin doing such things: when you are an athlete (I can tell you basing on my personal experience), you have to pay a lot of attention to what you eat, and it can be frustrating at times, but eating once a day it's not healthy at all! :disapp: Practicing a sport at a high level should be something that teaches you a lot of things about life, included taking care of your body: eating on meal per day IS NOT TAKING CARE OF YOUR BODY AT ALL! :no: I hope someone helps them...

tulosai

Record Breaker
Poor girls... I hope Liza doesn't begin doing such things: when you are an athlete (I can tell you basing on my personal experience), you have to pay a lot of attention to what you eat, and it can be frustrating at times, but eating once a day it's not healthy at all! :disapp: Practicing a sport at a high level should be something that teaches you a lot of things about life, included taking care of your body: eating on meal per day IS NOT TAKING CARE OF YOUR BODY AT ALL! :no: I hope someone helps them...

THIS. NO ONE (and I do mean NO ONE) should eat only one meal a day. It is not healthy and it will not help in any weight loss that is healthy. This is especially true of teenagers who are still growing. That anyone would seriously suggest this blows my mind. That is an anorexic thing to do (and by that I mean this is something some/many anorexics literally do). As others have already pointed out, skaters who are doing this aren't exactly skating well just at the moment.

I really hope that those of you who think this is a good idea really take some time to read some reputable sources (maybe even be radical and check out some scholarly journals or actual books instead of just reddit) and educate yourselves about healthy eating, both generally and for athletes. To say Liza should cut down on ice cream is/was one thing, to say she should eat one meal a day is crazy and promotes unhealthy and disordered eating.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I saw this weekend the novice and junior championship in my country,you can imagine a double toe was the best jump I saw and I suddently realised how talented and how much trained are the young skaters who burst into juniors and seniors internationally.
I m sure Liza has all the mental strength to keep her diet and her team helps her pass puberty healthy and emotionally stable. As for this season her results are not really that bad, comparing to all the top level ladies. And we are talking about a girl who traveled 27h by train alone once a month to train with Mishin since the age of eleven, I have no evidence Liza isnt having a strong will regarding her diet.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I saw this weekend the novice and junior championship in my country,you can imagine a double toe was the best jump I saw and I suddently realised how talented and how much trained are the young skaters who burst into juniors and seniors internationally.
I m sure Liza has all the mental strength to keep her diet and her team helps her pass puberty healthy and emotionally stable. As for this season her results are not really that bad, comparing to all the top level ladies. And we are talking about a girl who traveled 27h by train alone once a month to train with Mishin since the age of eleven, I have no evidence Liza isnt having a strong will regarding her diet.

Yes, go Liza !