Could this music be skated to? | Golden Skate

Could this music be skated to?

Once they trotted out the Mahler Adagietto for its second presentation, as an ice dancing free dance, I conceded that just about anything could be skated to in a competitive program.

Though this one may have to have a graft of a livelier piece onto it for a true competitive program with footwork and such. It is gorgeous music, isn't it?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Cool music. I agree it would be hard to do it justice in a competitive format. I would only want to see it skated by someone with very good edge control and body control.

gkelly

Record Breaker
What makes music "skatable"?

What kinds of music would make great show programs but wouldn't work well for competition, or vice versa?

What kinds of music help to showcase the kinds of technical skills skaters need to demonstrate in competition?

What kinds of music would be especially challenging to skate to effectively?

What would work best for a skater with mediocre technical skills, or mediocre musical sensitivity?

What would work only for a skater with very high skill levels both technically and artistically?

What kind of music would be a poor choice for any skater, no matter how talented?

I love threads like this.

Gkelly, those are great questions.

I imagine that the best music would have some variation in tempo. One thing that really turns me off is agitated footwork done to andante music that simply doesn't sustain it.

Conversely, music with a single tempo could be great for a show program.

Johar

Medalist
I first heard this music when I watched "The Grey" and went to You Tube to find the extended version, Something about it is haunting yet beautiful.

PatC

Rinkside
Yes, it could be used. But I think it's unforgiving, you'd have to skate it perfectly, a mistake would really stand out. imo.

PatC

Rinkside
What makes music "skatable"?

What kinds of music would make great show programs but wouldn't work well for competition, or vice versa?

What kinds of music help to showcase the kinds of technical skills skaters need to demonstrate in competition?

What would work best for a skater with mediocre technical skills, or mediocre musical sensitivity?

What would work only for a skater with very high skill levels both technically and artistically?

What kind of music would be a poor choice for any skater, no matter how talented?

Good questions.

What makes music skateable? I think it has to be a good fit, something that draws a skaters personality/skating skills out.

Rap/hip hop/gospel/anything that requires that something extra, that spark to make the music work. I love this music, and I've thought for quite a while that this is so totally skateable, but I think it would be very difficult. But I'd love to see it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oEsWi88Qv0

I think gospel music - some of it is so usable, but it's a genre that has the ability to insult at so many levels. (Winkler & Lohse)

Billy Maxim Fortin skated to a hip hop program at Cdn Nats in Ottawa - 08? It was awesome, he just skated it brilliantly. Unfortunately, the 3a was mia, so no one has ever seen it if you weren't in the rink.

What would be a poor choice? Something that doesn't fit a skaters comfort zone, music that a skater really doesn't get/like. (short answer not well explained I know).

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I think "The Third Man" would work as a portion (or a theme) for Ice dance.

The other two pieces referred to in this thread might work if interspersed with other pieces, but I don't think they would work alone. Others would disagree with me, but these both sound like pieces Ingo Steuer might have skated to with Mandy Woetzel - or pieces he would choose for his present teams. I just think there is not enough of an arc in the pieces themselves. For me a program (especially the music) needs to have a beginning, a middle, and an end. That said, I like when the music melds together seemlessly. Pretty hard to do, I think.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think music is skateable if the skater can feel it. That's an individual thing.