Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan

On the Ice
    It says something. I'm not sure if it is entirely good (about the state of the sport) , that Michele can still command so much attention.

Michelle and Kristi at the Media Summit.

http://www.canyonsresort.com/sites/d..._shot/USOC.jpg

Michelle interviews Davis and White.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVk4tCNCQAAMkXz.jpg

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    It says something. I'm not sure if it is entirely good (about the state of the sport) , that Michele can still command so much attention.
    Definitely a mixed blessing. Same goes for the fact that so many of the corporate sponsors are going with the Evans and Kristi's, over the up and comers. No disrespect to them but the reliance on the known and the decrease in "risk taking" on hopefuls, while completely understandable from a corporate risk standpoint, is still not a positive as you say, for the sport.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    After re-watching her '98 programs this past weekend, it's not hard to see why. She remains the gold standard.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    After re-watching her '98 programs this past weekend, it's not hard to see why. She remains the gold standard.
    I think it's a good thing that people remember great skaters long past their tenure. It's not something that happens INSTEAD OF admiring current skaters. After all, when Michelle was skating, people still revered Dorothy Hamill and Kristi Yamaguchi. No, the fact that today's skaters aren't widely known outside of skating fandom in the U.S. is an entirely separate phenomenon. I don't know what we can do to ameliorate the situation, but we skating fans stand ready to help!

I think one reason why Michelle is still in the public eye is because -- well, she's still in the public eye. Phil Hersh wrote that as much as he admired Michelle's skating, what she has accomplished after retiring from competition has made his respect for her shoot up a hundred-fold.

Her she is as keynote speaker at the espnW summit conference yesterday, talking about the special Olympics and "making an impact." (Thanks to poster teach23 at the MK Forum for the link.)

http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/9802392/making-impact
    Last edited by Mathman; 12-22-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Custom Title
    Thanks, Math! Great to see her at work.

Michelle's husband, Clay Pell, is considering running for governor of Rhode Island next year. (Thanks to poster Bertha'sGhost on MK Forum).

http://mkforum.net/forum/showthread....52-MK-as-FLoRI
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Custom Title
    How exciting! Let's all move to Rhode Island and vote.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know what happened to The Michelle Kwan Forum. I haven't been able to access it for a few days.

No word yet on the MK Fprum.

But in the meantime Michelle is making up for it on twitter. Here she is celebrating the birthday of songwriter Donnie Demers with Paula Abdul and Arsenio Hall.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcCiqXnCUAAHTxM.jpg

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm all for Arsenio Hall-he actually supports figure skaters, particularly Jason Brown.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/06/59721214

Hooray for Michelle!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm all for Arsenio Hall-he actually supports figure skaters, particularly Jason Brown.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/06/59721214

Hooray for Michelle!
    In addition, Arsenio Hall retweeted the photo to Jason.

Arsenio Hall
    ‏@ArsenioHall
    @jasonbskates RT @MichelleWKwan @musical_wheels @PaulaAbdul @arseniohall -selfie w/ our birthday boy!
    #love pic.twitter.com/Hg2Dex1FSQ

Jason Brown
    ‏@jasonbskates
    @ArsenioHall @MichelleWKwan Ahhh! So jealous!!! Wish I was there She is truly an inspiration & role model! Thanks for the Retweet!

Arsenio retweeted and favored that tweet

Also I love Paula Abdul. I played her "Forever Your Girl" album (on casette tape ) a lot in my younger years.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ... But in the meantime Michelle is making up for it on twitter. Here she is celebrating the birthday of songwriter Donnie Demers with Paula Abdul and Arsenio Hall.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcCiqXnCUAAHTxM.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    In addition, Arsenio Hall retweeted the photo to Jason.

Arsenio Hall
    ‏@ArsenioHall
    @jasonbskates RT @MichelleWKwan @musical_wheels @PaulaAbdul @arseniohall -selfie w/ our birthday boy!
    #love pic.twitter.com/Hg2Dex1FSQ

Jason Brown
    ‏@jasonbskates
    @ArsenioHall @MichelleWKwan Ahhh! So jealous!!! Wish I was there She is truly an inspiration & role model! Thanks for the Retweet!

Arsenio retweeted and favored that tweet ...
    Thanks, Mrs. P -- and Mathman (and DP).

When I saw MM's post last night re Michelle and Arsenio, I immediately thought of the Two Degrees of Separation-type serendipity for Jason. Remember Jason's blog from early this season? He said that he regretted being too shy to approach Michelle and say hello when he was practicing at the East West arena (I think for Glacier Falls).

I was hoping that Arsenio would put a bug in Michelle's ear that she ought to do herself a favor and get to know Jason in person (as the great guy and great skater who he is).
    Based on Arsenio's retweet, seems possible that he already did just that. At the very least, the Twitter conversation is a good step in the right direction.

ETA, off topic: Although a relative latecomer to Twitter, Jason definitely has made up for lost time and given us lots of great snapshots (both literal and figurative) of his life. But I hope he won't "forget" to continue his equally excellent blogging.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Thanks, Mrs. P -- and Mathman (and DP).

When I saw MM's post last night re Michelle and Arsenio, I immediately thought of the Two Degrees of Separation-type serendipity for Jason. Remember Jason's blog from early this season? He said that he regretted being too shy to approach Michelle and say hello when he was practicing at the East West arena (I think for Glacier Falls).

I was hoping that Arsenio would put a bug in Michelle's ear that she ought to do herself a favor and get to know Jason in person (as the great guy and great skater who he is).
    Based on Arsenio's retweet, seems possible that he already did just that. At the very least, the Twitter conversation is a good step in the right direction.

ETA, off topic: Although a relative latecomer to Twitter, Jason definitely has made up for lost time and given us lots of great snapshots (both literal and figurative) of his life. But I hope he won't "forget" to continue his equally excellent blogging.
    Ah you're thinking of this blog: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...-hectic-summer

I am the type of person who gets extremely starstruck and nervous around high-level skaters as well as any remarkable athlete: my palms get sweaty, my thoughts begin to race, and I almost always regret not saying anything, but the cycle continues to repeat itself. This happened numerous times this summer, but I am going to tell you about two specific incidents.
    First, when I was out to dinner with my roommates and I saw Christopher Dean with his kids, I kept contemplating whether or not to say hi. I didn't, and I regret that still to this day. He was even sitting at the table right next to us! I was so starstruck that I couldn't even turn my head, haha!
    Next was when I saw Michelle Kwan at the rink in Artesia, Calif., when I was there for practice ice for Glacier Falls. While I was on the ice, Michelle came to the rink, and I immediately stopped what I was doing and skated over to my coaches and told them, "I don't think I can leave the boards!" Clearly, they made me, but any time I would take off for a jump or land, I would have to look away.
    After the session, I was stretching outside talking to my mom, and Michelle and her sister, Karen, passed right by me. I just froze. I wanted to take a picture with the two of them so badly. It would have been so easy just to say hello and tell her how much I admire her, but I couldn't move or speak.
    So, the moral of this story is, for anyone reading this who looks up to another skater, or any other person, don't ever miss your chance to ask for a picture or an autograph or just to say hi because from my experience, you'll always regret it.
    I hope Jason will get to talk to Michelle soon and get that autograph/photo.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast