Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on WTT

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Thoughts on WTT

I love this event! Skating as a team sport is something that should be encouraged, as it makes the competition more enjoyable for the fans. Especially the cheering sections, they really bring something totally different to skating comp. The skaters look like they're having more fun and it shows in their skating. Also, being apart of a team can actually help improve performances from individuals (If they buy into the team).

This is something that should be installed in GPF and Worlds. Glad it is getting installed into the Olympics. It will make ever skater skate not only for themselves, but for their team, and country even more.

Grats to Akiko and Takahashi after their disappointments at Worlds! Akiko really is "the joy of skating". Mao's URs are her bugaboo, but she is such a treat to watch, especially when she gets into it!

Way to go Team USA! Gracie and Ashley (and a 3rd lady, YAY!) will be a good team in Sochi! Max needs to improve in some aspects of his skating, but his jumps are world class! Jeremy... I love your skating and I hope you have a great season next year, and skate as best as you can!

Anyone else with thought s on the overall competition?

Seeing the antics in the Kiss & Cry, I cannot help but wish that skaters could have a team in their corner at every competition - would help alleviate the nervous wait for the scores, I have no doubt!

Custom Title
    Honestly? I'd rather see synchronized skating as an Olympic event than teams. Yes, the team event is fun, but it also smacks of one of those late 1990's tv specials.

But hey, that's just me. I have a low tolerance for the cutesy-poo. (Yes, you can pelt me with stuffed animals now.).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Honestly? I'd rather see synchronized skating as an Olympic event than teams. Yes, the team event is fun, but it also smacks of one of those late 1990's tv specials.

But hey, that's just me. I have a low tolerance for the cutesy-poo. (Yes, you can pelt me with stuffed animals now.).
    I have a feeling the team competition at the Olympics will be much more serious since Olympic medals will be on the line.

Custom Title
    Team event is nice in my opinion, but the problem is, how many countries can qualify for the team event? They would be lucky to have 10 countries at Olympic team event, as most countries can't compete because they don't have pair/ice dance teams.

Custom Title
    I love the event! It's so fun to watch and the skaters seem to have a great time - they always look so happy and are so supportive of their team mates.

Yes, you can pelt me with stuffed animals now.
    http://media.naplesnews.com/media/im...ays-6_t607.jpg

(Of course, this was hockey. )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Wow! I feel sorry for the flower retrievers, oops I mean stuffed animal retrievers. Sounds like a new dog breed.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    (1) Have not (yet) watched any of WTT, and have read only partial threads.
    As far as I understand, Wagner's personal result of second place clinched Team USA's win -- but am curious whether the tweet below has some additional subtext? To what else is Bates referring by shouting EVERYTHING?

@Evan_Bates
    I am especially proud of our captain, @AshWagner2010 for how she handled EVERYTHING.
    9:20 AM - 13 Apr 13
    https://twitter.com/Evan_Bates/statu...08453587484672

(2) For anyone else who was wondering (and did not see this news elsewhere) ...

Tatjana Flade ‏@Tatjana21
    Team France gets the "Team Spirit Award" of the Organizing Committee #WTT13.
    7:29 AM - 13 Apr 13
    https://twitter.com/Tatjana21/status/323080492347953154

(As an aside, I had not recalled from last year that the OC selects the winner of the Spirit Award. LOL, it's different from Miss Congeniality, who I believe is chosen by voting among all the Miss America contestants themselves.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Wow! I feel sorry for the flower retrievers, oops I mean stuffed animal retrievers. Sounds like a new dog breed.
    I thought it was so polite of Mao to help the flower retrievers more than skaters usually do at WTT.

Outdated Old Dinosaur

I'm all about esprit de corps, but some of what I saw was contrived and absurd. Which team was it that dressed as Winnie the Pooh or some such nonsense?

I'm not a huge Patrick Chan fan, but I'd have been in a sour mood, too, if I'd been forced to wear moose ears where I work.

Custom Title
    No one forced Chan to wear moose ears, and there weren't any props on the podium. Chan looked as if he'd rather be anywhere but in a team event. I guess he takes his cue from Scott Moir, who acted the same way last year.

Custom Title
    Chan is complaining about the timing of WTT,....perhaps he should be quiet.

Max Aaron did US Nationals (1st), two weeks, 4CCs (4th), two weeks, Worlds (7th), then WTT...and put in full effort performances that were much, much cleaner than Chan's at all of them. And skating at the speed he does, too.

I think I'll just refer to Max as the Energizer Bunny.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    No one forced Chan to wear moose ears...
    Are you telling me he did that of his own choosing? Because if he did... well, I just assumed... never mind.

So, did those Pooh characters or bunny rabbits or whatever they were... did that team do it because they wanted to as well?

As I said, I like the team concept, but all those cutesy pie costumes and the ring-around-the-rosy...No. No. No. I hate that.

Custom Title

I had too I think. At the Olympics are the skaters going to have to have a different short and long other than the one they are using in going for individual medals or will the team be made up of skaters who aren't going for individual medals. I know so little about this event or how it will be structured. The teams at WTT seemed to be trying too hard to see who could be the silliest and it seemed forced. Does the team event precede the individual competition at the Olympics? If it does, what happens if someone who is a contender for an individual medal gets injured and has to withdraw. There seems to me to be lots of possible problems with this event. Hopefully the powers that be have thought through this carefully, but I fear they haven't.

I see nothing wrong with Taka saying the event was mentally and physically challenging just coming off worlds. That is a position many skaters would take imo.

Skaterboy, sadly I don't think any one has to worry about Abbott next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast