Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on WTT

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    (Also at your husband's quip. Didn't he get a bit jealous last year about Daisuke? Hehe...)
    Yes he did. but not this year. He knows Dai has been struggling all season, and his 3As, which normally are strong consistent jumps, were hit or miss competition after competition. So he feels sorry for Dai a bit, maybe?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Did he like C&B as much as you did?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Did he like C&B as much as you did?
    I think he did. We saw all competitions almost from the ceiling but luckily facing the center, so that we could see differences by each of particiating skaters/teams: e.g. flows on the ice, not only its speed but also acceleration/deceleration of speed, ice coverage, how they use the rink, if they skate big or rather small, if they try to reach the judges/crowd or rahter look down on ice. And we were pretty impressed by Chock/Bates' speed, flows and ice coverage. When it comes to speed and ice coverage, I would probably place Meryl/Charlie first, then Madison/Evan second over Tessa/Scott whom I saw at last year's WTT. And Madison's presence on the ice was very remarkable in spite of her body size (being tiny for an ice dancer). I could not take my eyes off her, she just draws the audience in.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Igor has really done a remarkable job with them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    why there is an "1" in d1sk flags? I want a flag like this!
    Wishing to be the best skater in the world someday, Daisuke picked up "1" instead of "i" when designing his towel himself , I heard.

-18:40~ Ladies SP

By the time Ladies SP started, the arena was almost FULL in spite of Thursday.
    Gabrielle, Lenaelle, Kaetlyn, Zijun AND Liza; lots of skaters for us to see live for the first time, so that we really looked forward to!

So excited to see all girls went for the hardest jump layout of their own; mostly 3-3 and 3A from Mao, even though most of them either had a fall, got </<< or popped it. The audience was very supportive to every skaters upon mistake(s) and encouraged them to go on with warm cheers and claps. Great to see Ashley, in particular, going for 3F-3T! but at the same time I had to wonder: why didn't she try it more often eariler in the season? I mean, she won SA, right? then she could have tried it at her second GP and at the Final, because her team would have known she needed 3-3 the most come Worlds, where YuNa and Carolina get to compete after their breaks, if she wanted to get onto the podium.

I loved Gabrielle's and Lenaelle's costume in pants. Especially Lenaelle's color and design! Only French girls can do justice with this kind of color and design, don't you think? Personally, I would prefer girls pick up something unique and original, other than princess-on-ice like costumes in light pink purple blue or whatever color, trying to be pretty baby-ballerina and skating to soft slow beautiful music.

So sad for Liza and Mao. Mao's fall on 3A was so scary...The audience sounded very disappointed by her rather low score. But her 3A<< was visible even from our seats far and above, and I talked with my husband that if the tech panel was strict, 3F on her combo probably got < as well.

Here, Adelina and Akiko were the best in speed, ice coverage and performance-wise. Same as last year, Adelina skated big using her whole body and all her jumps were huge. Akiko was the best in edge work as wlways. A bit of a shame she popped 3T of her combo into 2T, though. Believe me, Akiko was like a fireball going for the first 3T! I mean, too much speed, and lost her control for the second 3T I think. Forever a mystery to me that judges still do not want to give her 9s in Performance/Execution and Interpretation for her programs season after season... In Ladies right now, no one else can sell programs like Akiko does.

Ashley and Kaetlyn skated a bit smaller than I thought they would when seeing them on TV. But we truly enjoyed their progrma with so many intricate choreographies. Well done girls!

I also loved Mae's and Kexin's text-book jumps. I just love when girls can jump high and far, with speed and on the correct edge! I hope they can get better progrqms in order to highlight their strengths. Kexin in particular needs a better costume, better makeup+hairmake, and with smiles, she can look completely different, much much better on the ice.

slightly off topic but my husband is a big fans of YuNa, Akiko and Liza already (plus Sasha and Nathalie, of course). This season Zijun at NHK and Kaetlyn at Canadian Nats stole his heart, it seems. Now I am worried; how is he going to root for these girls and can wish them all a podium finish come Sochi??? He needs to buy a platinum and a pewter medal by himself!

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    thank you deedee, cant wait for your next reports

why there is an "1" in d1sk flags? I want a flag like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Wishing to be the best skater in the world someday, Daisuke picked up "1" instead of "i" when designing his towel himself , I heard.
    BTW, Takahashi goes by D1sk on Twitter as well.

ETA, Miki Ando's Twitter address is similar.

... Weaver/Poje: ... Audience just loved them. Seems Andrew has lots of Japanese ladies fans, including myself. During 5min warm-up, I kept talking to my hubby that Andrew was such a great ice dancer with great skating skills, stood out on the ice, blah blah blah, then he snapped back at me; 'Are you talking about his skating itself or including his apprearance?'
    ... slightly off topic but my husband is a big fans of YuNa, Akiko and Liza already (plus Sasha and Nathalie, of course). This season Zijun at NHK and Kaetlyn at Canadian Nats stole his heart, it seems. Now I am worried; how is he going to root for these girls and can wish them all a podium finish come Sochi??? He needs to buy a platinum and a pewter medal by himself!
    deedee, thanks from me too for your wonderful WTT reports.

Sounds as if your husband is a good guy for keeping you company at skating events.

And his retort to your extensive praise for Poje was priceless, LOL.
    I hope that you asked him in return whether his interest in all these lovely ladies is limited to their skating ... or perhaps is a reaction also to their attractive appearance?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I hope that you asked him in return whether his interest in all these lovely ladies is limited to their skating ... or perhaps is a reaction also to their attractive appearance?
    Oh, no way for me to ask my husband that kind of question! I believe myself as a modest, discreet and no-thrusting, the typical/prototype wife in our traditional culture. lol

Here are placements WTT Day 1, in performance-wise by Judge #10 (deedee & her company):

Shart Dance
    1. Kaitlyn/Andrew
    2. Madison/Evan
    3. Pernelle/Llyod

Men SP
    1. Konstantin
    2. Brian
    3. Daisuke

Ladies SP
    1. Akiko
    2. Adelina
    3. Ashley

Custom Title
    Day 2: Fri Apr 12th, from 16:00~ local time

-16:00~ Pairs SP

So nice to see Hao at competitions again! The new Chinese pair got a big applause from the audience because of Hao; he is pretty much loved by figure skating fans in Japan for his adorable personality and such a long and successful career as one of the best pair skaters on int'l scene, of course.
    Cheng appeared more relaxed, confident and skated clean here, saw some of her smiles actually during their SP; a remarkable improvement in performance-wise, since 4CC at Osaka where she skated rather nervously. So kudos to her!

Venessa and Morgan was also great! But as for all the details, sorry I don't remember well...due to their music. In my head, Dai and then Alexei were skating throughout with this Rhumba and Safari Duo! lol

My jaws go everytime I see Meagan's and Eric's wonderful 3Lz! and here, perfect in synic, too! (<- ETA: Meagan had a fall here, sorry I was wrong. But that was probably I saw a perfect one durin 6min warm up, I guess...) With successful solo 3Lz and 3Lz throws, they do have a shot for a medal at Sochi, don't they? (Their beautiful music and intricate choreos, however, reminded me of Narumi and Mervin a bit and made me sad;;; )

Tatiana and Maxim, just one word GORGEOUS. What else can I say? This team was the one we looked forward to seeing live at this WTT the most. So was all the audience, I thought. They got the loudest cheers once their names were announced/introduced during 6min warm-up, before and after their performance from the audience, as if they could not wait any longer to see their skating, or as if they got disappointed it was over (=did not want to see it end...wanting to see more of their skating). Well, I at least felt that way.
    Ever since they took the ice for 6min warm-up, these two simply stood out above others. Their technicals/tricks were super of course; their twist was so high and throw was huuuuge, unison was just perfect. Some of the audience, who seldom got to watch pair competitions in Japan, actually let out a gasp in disbelief. However, what I was really impressed with was their presence on ice, beautiful in postures, Tatiana hitting perfect positions during any lifts and/or spiral, and most of all their skating itself, even simple crossovers which are silent and effortless, are something no one can deny that they are best in business, I mean, even if we are to include all the top single skaters. They skated just like champions, and got the standing ovation from the whole arena, which was so devervedly.

Custom Title
    WTT Day 2 was the perfect day for my husband and me in audience-wise. It wasn't because my favorite skater placed first. Because the arena was actually less packed compared to Day 1, but was filled with more enthusiasm and wild excitements! No doubt.
    To be honest, Day 2 had more figure skating fans I think; pure, addicted and more devoted fans who, either has been watching this sport for a long time since Midori or Fumie/Takeshi/Shizuka era(=before current superstars such as Mao/Miki/Dai came onto the scene), or has been watching not so many years but just drawned into this sport neck to heels. On Day 2, many tried to enjoy every skaters/teams' performances, to cheer for every skaters regardless of whom they would like to root for the most, and showed much love and appreciation after every performance, regardless of mistake(s) or not, anyway!

Thank you for the reports, deedee!!

Thanks again deedee! Sounds like you and your husband had a wonderful time!

Thanks deedee for the reports! Just wondering, you didn't mention Gracie at all in your SP report. Did she not stand out to you?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Just wondering, you didn't mention Gracie at all in your SP report. Did she not stand out to you?
    No, no, not that she didn't. Her jumps are always to die for! Such a shame she had a fall on combo.
    While her technical goods stand out; jumps all high and far, gorgeous 3Lz which is on par with YuNa's in my book , spins faster, well-centred and all worthy of level 4, her SP is not cup of my tea. I didn't mean it was not a good program. It's decent enough to collect many points, of course, and she tried her best to sell the program, I think. But Gracie skated, how can I say?, a very good technical program, by ticking all boxes, one after another, in accordance with IJS designation. Her SP choreo looked to me 'I am doing it because my choreographer tells me to do so' type of choreos here.

My apology to all Gracie fans if I have made you feel annoyed by this, but that was my impression on Gracie's SP here. Especially right after I saw Kaetlyn's striking performance full of her personality and popping energy of a young girl. I felt the same way about Gracie's SP last year's WTT. (And OTOH, I love both of her LPs. Let me write it later!) So I think it's just my preference for programs; I love competitive programs/skaters that make me forget I actually watch a competition and show me as programs/choreographies of their own, you know. When skaters can make their programs/music come alive, I just fall in love with them.

Custom Title
    -17:25~ Free Dance

Tatiana & Maxim's champion skate succeeded to rise arena temperature and uplifted audience's mood, I think ; how can I say? bringing them more intensive/concentrated into the comp, making them feel 'watch out! can't miss anything!'sort of attitude. (...does this expression of my English make sense to you? ) They looked more eager to enjoy the comp, and the arena filled with expectations for more of good performances to come.

Carron/Jones was great again. I loved their opening rotational lift (very unique in positions, making good use of her rather small build in height as female ice dancer) and horizontal lift in the middle! Also loved combination spin which went so well with the music. Disappointed again with their low score...

One gutzy performance from The Reeds again. "Well done on your twizzles again Chris!", I shouted. Only if they could have done like that in March/at the Worlds...Easily to imagine, they got so much love from the audience before, throughout and after their wonderful Free dance. Chris' reaction at the end was priceless. I don't know much about Ice dance in CoP-wise to be honest, but their performance was so beautiful, to me at least. And recalling all their injuries, misfortunes and disappointments (e.g. failing to secure the spot for Sochi) for the last two seasons, my eyes eventually filled with tears.
    Let me say this on behalf of all fans who were there that night, "We are so proud of you, and thank you so much for representing our country, Cathy and Chirs! Wishing you a good health and all the best for securing the Olympic spot at Nebelhorn this upcoming fall. You Can Do It "

Custom Title
    No, no, not that she didn't. Her jumps are always to die for! Such a shame she had a fall on combo.
    While her technical goods stand out; jumps all high and far, gorgeous 3Lz which is on par with YuNa's in my book , spins faster, well-centred and all worthy of level 4, her SP is not cup of my tea. I didn't mean it was not a good program. It's decent enough to collect many points, of course, and she tried her best to sell the program, I think. But Gracie skated, how can I say?, a very good technical program, by ticking all boxes, one after another, in accordance with IJS designation. Her SP choreo looked to me 'I am doing it because my choreographer tells me to do so' type of choreos here.
    I tend to agree with you. I watched her WTT SP last night for the first time, the first time I've ever watched Gracie, and I found myself wondering what on earth all the hype was about. The jumps were ugly and small, she seemed slow (although in her defence I'd just come from watching a video of Max so that's hardly fair), her choreography was bland... I'm just going, "THIS is what people have been blabbering on about all season?"

Her smile and evident enjoyment was fun, though. And she has good spins. The, er, makeup is a little heavy-handed and lay off the nail polish, girl.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast