Thoughts on WTT | Golden Skate

Thoughts on WTT

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I love this event! Skating as a team sport is something that should be encouraged, as it makes the competition more enjoyable for the fans. Especially the cheering sections, they really bring something totally different to skating comp. The skaters look like they're having more fun and it shows in their skating. Also, being apart of a team can actually help improve performances from individuals (If they buy into the team).

This is something that should be installed in GPF and Worlds. Glad it is getting installed into the Olympics. It will make ever skater skate not only for themselves, but for their team, and country even more.

Grats to Akiko and Takahashi after their disappointments at Worlds! Akiko really is "the joy of skating". Mao's URs are her bugaboo, but she is such a treat to watch, especially when she gets into it!

Way to go Team USA! Gracie and Ashley (and a 3rd lady, YAY!) will be a good team in Sochi! Max needs to improve in some aspects of his skating, but his jumps are world class! Jeremy... I love your skating and I hope you have a great season next year, and skate as best as you can!

Anyone else with thought s on the overall competition?

LRK

Record Breaker
Seeing the antics in the Kiss & Cry, I cannot help but wish that skaters could have a team in their corner at every competition - would help alleviate the nervous wait for the scores, I have no doubt! :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Honestly? I'd rather see synchronized skating as an Olympic event than teams. Yes, the team event is fun, but it also smacks of one of those late 1990's tv specials.

But hey, that's just me. I have a low tolerance for the cutesy-poo. (Yes, you can pelt me with stuffed animals now.).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly? I'd rather see synchronized skating as an Olympic event than teams. Yes, the team event is fun, but it also smacks of one of those late 1990's tv specials.

But hey, that's just me. I have a low tolerance for the cutesy-poo. (Yes, you can pelt me with stuffed animals now.).

I have a feeling the team competition at the Olympics will be much more serious since Olympic medals will be on the line.

vera01

Final Flight
Team event is nice in my opinion, but the problem is, how many countries can qualify for the team event? They would be lucky to have 10 countries at Olympic team event, as most countries can't compete because they don't have pair/ice dance teams.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
I love the event! It's so fun to watch and the skaters seem to have a great time - they always look so happy and are so supportive of their team mates.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(1) Have not (yet) watched any of WTT, and have read only partial threads.
As far as I understand, Wagner's personal result of second place clinched Team USA's win -- but am curious whether the tweet below has some additional subtext? To what else is Bates referring by shouting EVERYTHING?​

@Evan_Bates
I am especially proud of our captain, @AshWagner2010 for how she handled EVERYTHING.
9:20 AM - 13 Apr 13
https://twitter.com/Evan_Bates/statuses/323108453587484672

(2) For anyone else who was wondering (and did not see this news elsewhere) ...

Tatjana Flade ‏@Tatjana21
Team France gets the "Team Spirit Award" of the Organizing Committee #WTT13.
7:29 AM - 13 Apr 13
https://twitter.com/Tatjana21/status/323080492347953154

(As an aside, I had not recalled from last year that the OC selects the winner of the Spirit Award. LOL, it's different from Miss Congeniality, who I believe is chosen by voting among all the Miss America contestants themselves.)​

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During the victory ceremony, all the skaters on the podiums were happy and exuberant----except Patrick Chan. He stood there with a grim face just like Scott Moir at last year's event. And both were Canada's team captains!

Patrick pretty much said flat out in his interview that he didn't want to come but Skate Canada made him do it anyway. As i recall Scott Moir gave similar comments last year.

Noblesse oblige, gentlemen. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I had read some of the criticism of Chan at WTT elsewhere, but have wondered whether he has been unfairly singled out.
I don't know enough context, etc., to have an independent opinion of my own, so at least for now, I am willing to give Chan the benefit of the doubt.

Per ISU's own summary, Takahashi said, "After the World Championships it’s been very difficult physically and mentally to come to this World Team Trophy ..."
I myself have no problem with those words, but I wonder why I have not seen any criticism of Takahashi. Based on that comment, seems to me that haters could accuse him -- captain of Team Japan, no less -- also of whining and a bad attitude.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing either guy -- and am not wishing for anyone to find fault with Takahashi. But I take all the Chan-bashing with a grain of salt.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps Skate Canada should have made someone else the team captain. When you force an egomaniac to do an event he doesn't want to do, and then make him the team captain, that doesn't set a good tone for the other team members. Megan Duhamel should have been given the honor.

Maybe Takahashi wasn't thrilled about doing WTT, but he did give the best performance of which he was capable. And he didn't have to travel, so it wasn't that big a deal for him.

Right now, it doesn't seem as if Canada has a solid lock on the Sochi team gold. Ladies is still a weak discipline. I wonder if Skate Canada will beg Joannie Rochette to return for the team event.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well my conclusions are as follows. Yep, fun event. But the Olympics may be a bit different as it is a different configuraton but the US has a good chance to win gold depending on pairs and the men. I think WTT in the bigger picture at the end of a long skating seasons suggests the following:

1. Ladies Gold and Wagner can podium next year at olympics. It is a little unsure who will be top american because Gold is coming on like well Gold. However, they are prone to disaster as well which might mean a bottom top ten result. Still with the Japanese ladies going up and down like jack in the boxes is it Mao is it Suzuki will it be one good skate for Kanako and then one not so hot. The Russians are a big bust and sinking faster than the titanic. Osmond is showing her Canadian roots; doesn't look quite show ready.

osmond doesn't look so hot; she has fallen to nerves and Liza might be banished with Leonova to where the sun doesn't shine. What a hot mess - Liza forget the triple axel which hasn't been hinted at she just can't compete with he big girls maybe because she got too big - sorry for the pun. She is gogin to have to figure out her body and try to become more like Slutskaya than a gangly orphan waif.

While the Americans look great Mao needs to be held in stronger light. As much abuse there is about Chan and inflated marks; Mao too falls into that category and for the lst few years she has been suppose to be in transition correcting her jumps and edges but that hasn't come. And her lovelign flowy skating really has not grown. By now she should have had more clean skates but everyoen seems wrought with errors. And the flutzing and edges and unerrotations are still there. She might find herself off the podium come Olympics and really gold is Yuna or Carolina's

In men well Javier looks like he is ready to ascend to the throne along with Hanyu. I think critically at this point we have to wonder if Dai really has a quad or just attempts like Buttle's almost in 2006. Patrick is a hot mess too; great programs and skills but he needs the tricks and he needs a coach. This is ridiculous. I am sorry I have no idea who Kathy Johnson is - actually a top american gymnast but I am sure they are not the same. Ms. Johnson is not a coach and it is an insult to others whoa re coaches. Worse, she does not have the gift or experience to be there for Chan, to encourage, to give wisdom because she doesn't know really how to skate or jump. you listen and it is Patrick giving the encouragement and support - a skater needs a friend, a psychologicist, a technician and motivator - Ms. Johnson is the mother of his girlfriend. She has not beeen able to help hm give he emoting factors of Dai or even the staged artistry of Boitano. Not to mention Patrick's costumes need help.

On the plus size we have javier who won his first medal at worlds. He has two quads and looks good to go. Kevin Reynolds still has his bad days but we now see some consistency with those quads and a top ten solid skater seems to be his mantra.

Joubert has some not bad skates but he really seems to be yesterday news - a bit faded - his choreography and programs really look like rehashes of his from the past.

the Americans have show some new hope with Max Aaron. it will be interesting to see what happens with Evan and Jeremy fighitng it out. We might see some guys crying at nationals come next January - no i don't think Johnny Weir will be there. Some very disappointed skaters will be at nats with two spots.

V and T have seemingly cruised past the Germans. Duhamel and Radford have become quite consistent with their technical tricks but the chemistry and artistry of their compatriots MT and M seems to be preferred. the Russians k and s can't seem to find the love and I am not sure they seem almost unfairly dumped by everyone. The Americans continue to play musical partner chairs and really you would be hard pressed to find anyone who could identify but their loving families. Pang and Tong want OGM but they really looked tired besides his injury. They aren't improving artistically or technically though still pleasant really this si a team that only exists for OGM. And to be honest that isn't always so pretty. Their reason for being on such a risky and momentary thing. They are not like their OGM sorry to say; you can't all be G and G's.

In dance the team that is the fast raising is Chock and BAtes. The judges love hem and have shown that the system is workign in that they almost have been given the red carpet treatment and when it wasn't rolled out others fell at their feet (W and P or the Shibutanis and all). if their luck and skill continues could then win OBM? Yes it iwll be tough witht he Russians but you never know? The russians B and S make mistakes and I and K are just a fiasco.

I and K are one of the most talented teams but whether it be material and lack of hard work and focus to levels they really are a huge disapointment.

We will be on the edge of ours seats next year. Will D and W continue their domination over V and M? Will V and M make a comeback and win the second OGM. Will one of the japanese men pull it together for OGM. Will Javier skate two clean performances for OGM. Will Patrick crumble and get a rel coach? Can he skate cleanly. Will evan and all his talk actually compete? Will he make the Olympics? Will Johnny Weir try to capture the media attention with a comeback. Will Jeremy Abbot regain his form. Will Joubert fight back or are his days erally numbered. Who is the top American lady/ Can she win a medal. Who will get the third spot at the American nationals in ladies = Zhang? Flatt? Gao? Nagasu? or... Will Joannie Rochette come back now that it is clear Osmond is still developing? Will P and T get it together and heal or call it quits? Will Plushy and heal and skate again or is he finished. Will Mao ever clean up her jumps? Will Yuna repeat? Can Carolina keep it together?

Trewyn

Medalist
During the victory ceremony, all the skaters on the podiums were happy and exuberant----except Patrick Chan. He stood there with a grim face just like Scott Moir at last year's event. And both were Canada's team captains!

Haha, yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe he reads figure skating forums?

It's nice to see the skaters have fun in the K&C. Though I imagine the Olympic event will be a lot more competitive and intense. Olympic medals on the line!!!

chloepoco

Medalist
I had read some of the criticism of Chan at WTT elsewhere, but have wondered whether he has been unfairly singled out.
I don't know enough context, etc., to have an independent opinion of my own, so at least for now, I am willing to give Chan the benefit of the doubt.

Per ISU's own summary, Takahashi said, "After the World Championships it’s been very difficult physically and mentally to come to this World Team Trophy ..."
I myself have no problem with those words, but I wonder why I have not seen any criticism of Takahashi. Based on that comment, seems to me that haters could accuse him -- captain of Team Japan, no less -- also of whining and a bad attitude.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing either guy -- and am not wishing for anyone to find fault with Takahashi. But I take all the Chan-bashing with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, Takahashi went out there enthusiastically. If he didn't want to be there, he certainly didn't show it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And Takahashi was jubilant on the podium. He looked as if he was really enjoying himself.

That contrasted with Chan's somber face at the victory ceremony. You would have thought that as team captain, Chan should have been proud and happy that his team pulled themselves up from 4th to 2nd, but no. CHAN wasn't the star of his team, so he sulked. Just goes to show that age doesn't necessarily bring maturity,

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm all about esprit de corps, but some of what I saw was contrived and absurd. Which team was it that dressed as Winnie the Pooh or some such nonsense?

I'm not a huge Patrick Chan fan, but I'd have been in a sour mood, too, if I'd been forced to wear moose ears where I work.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one forced Chan to wear moose ears, and there weren't any props on the podium. Chan looked as if he'd rather be anywhere but in a team event. I guess he takes his cue from Scott Moir, who acted the same way last year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Chan is complaining about the timing of WTT,....perhaps he should be quiet.

Max Aaron did US Nationals (1st), two weeks, 4CCs (4th), two weeks, Worlds (7th), then WTT...and put in full effort performances that were much, much cleaner than Chan's at all of them. And skating at the speed he does, too.

I think I'll just refer to Max as the Energizer Bunny.