Thoughts on WTT | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on WTT

ice coverage

Record Breaker
thank you deedee, cant wait for your next reports:clap:

why there is an "1" in d1sk flags? I want a flag like this!

Wishing to be the best skater in the world someday, Daisuke picked up "1" instead of "i" when designing his towel himself , I heard.

BTW, Takahashi goes by D1sk on Twitter as well.

ETA, Miki Ando's Twitter address is similar.

... Weaver/Poje: ... Audience just loved them. Seems Andrew has lots of Japanese ladies fans, including myself. During 5min warm-up, I kept talking to my hubby that Andrew was such a great ice dancer with great skating skills, stood out on the ice, blah blah blah, then he snapped back at me; 'Are you talking about his skating itself or including his apprearance?' :laugh:

... slightly off topic but my husband is a big fans of YuNa, Akiko and Liza already (plus Sasha and Nathalie, of course;)). This season Zijun at NHK and Kaetlyn at Canadian Nats stole his heart, it seems. Now I am worried; how is he going to root for these girls and can wish them all a podium finish come Sochi??? He needs to buy a platinum and a pewter medal by himself! :laugh:

deedee, thanks from me too for your wonderful WTT reports.

Sounds as if your husband is a good guy for keeping you company at skating events.

And his retort to your extensive praise for Poje was priceless, LOL.
I hope that you asked him in return whether his interest in all these lovely ladies is limited to their skating ... or perhaps is a reaction also to their attractive appearance? ;)

deedee1

Record Breaker
I hope that you asked him in return whether his interest in all these lovely ladies is limited to their skating ... or perhaps is a reaction also to their attractive appearance? ;)

Oh, no way for me to ask my husband that kind of question! ;) I believe myself as a modest, discreet and no-thrusting, the typical/prototype wife in our traditional culture. lol

Here are placements WTT Day 1, in performance-wise by Judge #10 (deedee & her company):

Shart Dance
1. Kaitlyn/Andrew :love:
2. Madison/Evan
3. Pernelle/Llyod

Men SP
1. Konstantin :rock:
2. Brian
3. Daisuke

Ladies SP
1. Akiko :cool:
2. Adelina
3. Ashley

deedee1

Record Breaker
Day 2: Fri Apr 12th, from 16:00~ local time

-16:00~ Pairs SP

So nice to see Hao at competitions again! The new Chinese pair got a big applause from the audience because of Hao; he is pretty much loved by figure skating fans in Japan for his adorable personality and such a long and successful career as one of the best pair skaters on int'l scene, of course.
Cheng appeared more relaxed, confident and skated clean here, saw some of her smiles actually during their SP; a remarkable improvement in performance-wise, since 4CC at Osaka where she skated rather nervously. So kudos to her! :clap:

Venessa and Morgan was also great! But as for all the details, sorry I don't remember well...due to their music. In my head, Dai and then Alexei were skating throughout with this Rhumba and Safari Duo! lol

My jaws go :jaw: everytime I see Meagan's and Eric's wonderful 3Lz! and here, perfect in synic, too! (<- ETA: Meagan had a fall here, sorry I was wrong. But that was probably I saw a perfect one durin 6min warm up, I guess...) With successful solo 3Lz and 3Lz throws, they do have a shot for a medal at Sochi, don't they? (Their beautiful music and intricate choreos, however, reminded me of Narumi and Mervin a bit and made me sad;;; )

Tatiana and Maxim, just one word GORGEOUS. What else can I say? :cool: This team was the one we looked forward to seeing live at this WTT the most. So was all the audience, I thought. They got the loudest cheers once their names were announced/introduced during 6min warm-up, before and after their performance from the audience, as if they could not wait any longer to see their skating, or as if they got disappointed it was over (=did not want to see it end...wanting to see more of their skating). Well, I at least felt that way.
Ever since they took the ice for 6min warm-up, these two simply stood out above others. Their technicals/tricks were super of course; their twist was so high and throw was huuuuge, unison was just perfect. Some of the audience, who seldom got to watch pair competitions in Japan, actually let out a gasp in disbelief. However, what I was really impressed with was their presence on ice, beautiful in postures, Tatiana hitting perfect positions during any lifts and/or spiral, and most of all their skating itself, even simple crossovers which are silent and effortless, are something no one can deny that they are best in business, I mean, even if we are to include all the top single skaters. They skated just like champions, and got the standing ovation from the whole arena, which was so devervedly. :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
WTT Day 2 was the perfect day for my husband and me in audience-wise. It wasn't because my favorite skater placed first. ;) Because the arena was actually less packed compared to Day 1, but was filled with more enthusiasm and wild excitements! No doubt.
To be honest, Day 2 had more figure skating fans I think; pure, addicted and more devoted fans who, either has been watching this sport for a long time since Midori or Fumie/Takeshi/Shizuka era(=before current superstars such as Mao/Miki/Dai came onto the scene), or has been watching not so many years but just drawned into this sport neck to heels. On Day 2, many tried to enjoy every skaters/teams' performances, to cheer for every skaters regardless of whom they would like to root for the most, and showed much love and appreciation after every performance, regardless of mistake(s) or not, anyway! :yes:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks again deedee! Sounds like you and your husband had a wonderful time!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks deedee for the reports! Just wondering, you didn't mention Gracie at all in your SP report. Did she not stand out to you?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Just wondering, you didn't mention Gracie at all in your SP report. Did she not stand out to you?

No, no, not that she didn't. Her jumps are always to die for! Such a shame she had a fall on combo.
While her technical goods stand out; jumps all high and far, gorgeous 3Lz which is on par with YuNa's in my book :cool:, spins faster, well-centred and all worthy of level 4, her SP is not cup of my tea. I didn't mean it was not a good program. It's decent enough to collect many points, of course, and she tried her best to sell the program, I think. But Gracie skated, how can I say?, a very good technical program, by ticking all boxes, one after another, in accordance with IJS designation. Her SP choreo looked to me 'I am doing it because my choreographer tells me to do so' type of choreos here.

My apology to all Gracie fans if I have made you feel annoyed by this, but that was my impression on Gracie's SP here. Especially right after I saw Kaetlyn's striking performance full of her personality and popping energy of a young girl. I felt the same way about Gracie's SP last year's WTT. (And OTOH, I love both of her LPs. :yes: Let me write it later!) So I think it's just my preference for programs; I love competitive programs/skaters that make me forget I actually watch a competition and show me as programs/choreographies of their own, you know. When skaters can make their programs/music come alive, I just fall in love with them. :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
-17:25~ Free Dance

Tatiana & Maxim's champion skate succeeded to rise arena temperature and uplifted audience's mood, I think :); how can I say? bringing them more intensive/concentrated into the comp, making them feel 'watch out! can't miss anything!'sort of attitude. (...does this expression of my English make sense to you? :unsure:) They looked more eager to enjoy the comp, and the arena filled with expectations for more of good performances to come.

Carron/Jones was great again. I loved their opening rotational lift (very unique in positions, making good use of her rather small build in height as female ice dancer) and horizontal lift in the middle! Also loved combination spin which went so well with the music. Disappointed again with their low score...

One gutzy performance from The Reeds again. "Well done on your twizzles again Chris!", I shouted. Only if they could have done like that in March/at the Worlds...Easily to imagine, they got so much love from the audience before, throughout and after their wonderful Free dance. Chris' reaction at the end was priceless. I don't know much about Ice dance in CoP-wise to be honest, but their performance was so beautiful, to me at least. And recalling all their injuries, misfortunes and disappointments (e.g. failing to secure the spot for Sochi) for the last two seasons, my eyes eventually filled with tears.
Let me say this on behalf of all fans who were there that night, "We are so proud of you, and thank you so much for representing our country, Cathy and Chirs! Wishing you a good health and all the best for securing the Olympic spot at Nebelhorn this upcoming fall. You Can Do It :yay:"

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No, no, not that she didn't. Her jumps are always to die for! Such a shame she had a fall on combo.
While her technical goods stand out; jumps all high and far, gorgeous 3Lz which is on par with YuNa's in my book :cool:, spins faster, well-centred and all worthy of level 4, her SP is not cup of my tea. I didn't mean it was not a good program. It's decent enough to collect many points, of course, and she tried her best to sell the program, I think. But Gracie skated, how can I say?, a very good technical program, by ticking all boxes, one after another, in accordance with IJS designation. Her SP choreo looked to me 'I am doing it because my choreographer tells me to do so' type of choreos here.

I tend to agree with you. I watched her WTT SP last night for the first time, the first time I've ever watched Gracie, and I found myself wondering what on earth all the hype was about. The jumps were ugly and small, she seemed slow (although in her defence I'd just come from watching a video of Max so that's hardly fair), her choreography was bland... I'm just going, "THIS is what people have been blabbering on about all season?"

Her smile and evident enjoyment was fun, though. And she has good spins. The, er, makeup is a little heavy-handed and lay off the nail polish, girl.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Her jumps are not small and ugly. If they were small, she wouldn't be checking out on the way down. I think a lot of people think her jumps are ugly because of the brand of boot she wears where her toes don't ever look pointed.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tend to agree with you. I watched her WTT SP last night for the first time, the first time I've ever watched Gracie, and I found myself wondering what on earth all the hype was about. The jumps were ugly and small, she seemed slow (although in her defence I'd just come from watching a video of Max so that's hardly fair), her choreography was bland... I'm just going, "THIS is what people have been blabbering on about all season?"

Her smile and evident enjoyment was fun, though. And she has good spins. The, er, makeup is a little heavy-handed and lay off the nail polish, girl.
Gracie is slow now? If anything she's one of the fastest skaters out there right now.

Moment

Final Flight
Yeah Gracie is fast. She reminds me of a wild horse, from her speed, presentation, her jumping technique, almost everything she does on the ice apart from her spiral. I like that about her skating.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie reminds me a bit of a younger Kostner when Carolina didn't have control of her speed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I did say that in her defence I'd just come from watching a Max Aaron video, and he's faster than anyone else, so it could very well have been an optical illusion.

Maybe I'm just used to watching men, but her jumps really did look small to me. And her leg positions in them seemed hideous though I wonder how much of that is also an optical illusion of light-coloured tights vs dark-coloured pants that the men wear.

I'm just a little bemused that this is what everyone was falling over themselves for this season.

Oh yeah, that was the question I was going to ask last night: do all ladies bow that pretentiously?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gracie has a lot of things to work on still, but her jumps are anything but small and she has a lot of speed, if anything maybe a little too much. The choreo isn't good, her smile is plastered and pageant-y, she sometimes skate through the music and gest that auto-pilot zombie-look, and the stiff airplane arms need to be softened - but those are what I see as her flaws. Power, speed, and big jumps are her assets and she has those in spades. The presentation can be addressed and will likely improve with time. Her speed and strong basics have enabled her to get pretty strong PCS already though so really she is on the right track. Anyone who says her jumps are small need to watch again.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Let me finish my comment on the second group of Free Dance, you guys, please.

Monko/Khaliavin: I really loved their Flamenco FD, especially the first minute! Their passionate step sequence to percussion instruments was just fabulous. Wow! They did draw me and all audience into their performance. Completely. Did you hear, thru your PC screens, that all those claps and cheers from audience eventually grew/got bigger and louder as they doing steps? This was the best moment, of the entire Ice Dance comp, for me! Figure skating is very popular in Japan, but often Fs simply means Single skating for most of Japanese fans, you know. Meaning, it does not happen at every competitions of Ice Dance and Pairs that audience actually get 'drawn' into their performances, sad to admit...In this regard, a moment like this proves how much 'this audience that night' loves figure skating in its true sense. :yes:
I am sure Ksenia and Kirill succeeded win quite a number of audience's hearts by their wonderful FD! Ksenia here reminded me of Anjelika (now Mrs. Pasquale) a lot.

Weaver/Poje: Their FD was so lovely. A lot of us 'sighed' everytime they hit beautiful positions with their lifts. And the one, after combination spin, Andrew bending low and holding her horizontally was just :love:! After the performance, a lot of ladies shouted 'Poje-sama~~~', we heard. :laugh: Sorry about the fall, other small mistakes here and there. From where we saw, however, their speed was slower and program a bit transitionless, compared to Chock/Bates', we thought.

Chock/Bates: Great. They skated really BIG; faster, smoother, lighter and flying! Surprised to see Madison actually covered more ice than Evan in their twizzles, though she is much smaller in height. And Madison here, due to her dress, looked just like the white version of 'Little Red Riding Hood' folk tale from the arena. :)
Upon the end of their performance I had to leave my seat without seeing their score to come up. But I was 200% sure they would place 1st.

On my way to the basement hearing all the noises of running down the stairways, it seemed every ladies to rush into ladies rooms...in order to prepare for the main course of the Day 2...including myself. ;)

deedee1

Record Breaker
-19:00~ Mens FS

What I loved the most during Men FS was every boy went for quad. :cool:, though some popped or fell.

At this competition Ponsart got recognized by Japanese fans I think. During 6min warm-up I heard many say 'Dai's costume''Garden's costume!'. And my hubby now calls him 'Monsieur Lettuce', though in French 'romaine' actually, not exactly the same as his first name. But adding e or not does not make a big difference to my husband I guess. Romain, please forgive him for his unpoliteness. He seems have come to like your skating very much, so that he calls you Monsieur Lettuce in a freindly manner with admiration at least. :)

First time to see Ponsart and Wang skate live, but they had pretty good musicality we thought, considering their age and which country these young boys come from. ;) In spite of a couple of unfortunate mistakes, they did not give up the performance till the end. Was also nice to see audience clapped throughout. I hope Yi will get 3A in his jump arsenal soon, then he can be competitive on senior circuit.

Thank you, Romain and Yi, for coming to Japan to skate at this competition. Must be very hard for you to skate in front of huge crowd and have to go against all big boys here, but was indeed a good opportunity for us to get to know you as very very promising skaters, which we so agree, from your country!

Han Yan. What can I say...a 50-carat raw diamond, which needs some polish. He is the one who skated biggest among 12 boys. He needs to learn to control speed going into jumps. With better programs and choreo, some more maturity and if only he can control his nerve...wow, can't wait to see him dominate Mens discipline after Sochi!

Kevin Reynolds was the first one to skate clean (well, almost) and got the standing ovation!, though a couple of <s were visible even from where we sat. Laying down on ice at the end was so precious moment for both Kevin and the audience, with all smiles and applause everywhere. :party2:

Brian Joubert: I. Love. Brian's Tornado-like Quad. My husband and I are big fan of Brian. But we didn't talk to each other during his performance, because we knew this might be the very last opportunity for us to see him skate at competition (probably may not come the Tokyo Worlds nest season, sad to admit...). We didn't want to miss any second of his Free skate, and I can tell you, there were many fans who felt exactly the sam way among the audience that night. Though he skated a little heavier and appeared exhausted towrads the end, he did his best by skating without any big mistakes. Got another standing ovation, lots of flowers and lots of cheers. He has been loved so much and admired by Japanese skating fans for many years. (let's hope Dai, seeing all those flowers and hearing all screaming audience, does not get jealous of brian.) Thank you so much, Brian, for coming here once again and show us your fabulous skating!
His love for Alexei is so obvious, btw. Hopefully, Brian will pick up something newfor his last Olympic season. no more music from Alexei's selection, please.

We enjoyed Maxim's free pretty much, and with admiration. Because he skated as a senior this time, compared to last year's WTT where he looked a bit nervous, tentative and less confidence. :yes: I hope he works on building his stamina (he clearly looked tired and lost speed during the second half). ALso needs some work for his entrance into quad, which is a bit distracting.
I love watching sports in general, while I don't do much myself. One of the fascinating things for me to love and watch one sport for many years is we get to see its players/athelets/skaters to grow/progress/mature as time goes. Not all of them can win OGM and/or championships. Some may never reach to the top, some may get injured and have some setback, or their career shortend by injury sometimes, they may have to face some misfortunes that eventually force them to give up. But they do it anyway; train hard day in and day out, and try to show their best at actual competitions, regardless its results/outcome are to be desired one or not. And we, its fans root for them anyway. Maxim that night sure reminded me again why I love watching sports.

deedee1

Record Breaker
As for second half of Men Free skate, I thought I had lots of things I would like to share with you, but I find it hard to go on my writing, sorry.
Let me write just two things which I want to the most.

What an awful fall on 3A for Konstantin...He started his free greatly by hitting 2 quads. Before Mens Free, I soooo wished him to skate lights out and come on top out of all boys. Hope he gets well soon and FULLY. And I really hope Konstantin will have the best season in his whole career in the upcoming Olympic season, so that he gets a spot to skate on his home turf. If not happening, then I would ask the skating god to have him skate at Worlds Tokyo instead. I am sure he is gonna get the 'loudest' cheers, to the same degree for Dai, from the Japanese audience, or at least from my husband and me, once his name is announced during 6min warm-up at Mens SP. I was so relieved to see him at Kiss&Cry the next day, smiling and rooting for his team mates, which I found very considerate of him and comforting for me to see, I so much appreciated. Go Konstantin! :party:

Another thing I sincerely hope is Patrick did notice how the audience who were there that night tried, with their big claps along, to encourage him to go on upon a couple of unfortunate mistakes. I also want him to know that his fans in Japan, especially those who can't afford traveling abroad to see him, appreciated a lot that he came and competed at this competition and enjoyed his skating.

Placements Day 2, in performance-wise by judge #10

Pairs SP
1. Volosozhar/Trankov :cool:
2. James/Cipres
3. Dhuhamel/Radford

Free Dance
1. Chris Reed :biggrin: ...sorry Cathy but I couldn't help it ;)
2. Chock/Bates
3. Weaver/Poje

Men Free
WINNER: MENSHOV :rock:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another thing I sincerely hope is Patrick did notice how the audience who were there that night tried, with their big claps along, to encourage him to go on upon a couple of unfortunate mistakes. I also want him to know that his fans in Japan, especially those who can't afford traveling abroad to see him, appreciated a lot that he came and competed at this competition and enjoyed his skating.

Thank you for sharing your reports! I'm jealous that I wasn't there. I love reading skating reviews from the everyday fan like myself.

I find the snippet I pasted above to be noteworthy.