Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on WTT

Alexei Yagudin https://twitter.com/yagudinofficial/...39121452965888

"World Team Trophy! A unique opportunity to become a world champion for those who would never have been able to do that on their own!:-)"

~high art~
    It seems like Alexei doesn't like the idea of WTT.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I do not count myself among Chan's most ardent fans, but I do like him -- so I find the anti-Chan double-standard in this thread (and prob. elsewhere on GS) maddening and absurd. Just don't understand why he is targeted as a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I see nothing wrong with Taka saying the event was mentally and physically challenging just coming off worlds. That is a position many skaters would take imo
    My point exactly. I agree that Takahashi said nothing wrong. But Chan has been attacked for making similar comments. How is that fair??

As I browsed through still photos of WTT, it was easy for me to find one of Chan smiling on the podium right along with the rest of Team Canada.
    Plenty of others show him participating in the fun/craziness of the Kiss and Cry and other WTT festivities.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    No one forced Chan to wear moose ears ...
    I agree, for example, that Chan was wearing the moose ears by choice and not under duress -- so that means he willingly embraced the same goofy patriotism of other WTT competitors.

Maybe Takahashi wasn't thrilled about doing WTT, but he did give the best performance of which he was capable. And he didn't have to travel, so it wasn't that big a deal for him.
    I'm not following the logic here. Takahashi did not have to deal with international travel to attend WTT, but it is acceptable for him to mention the physical and mental challenges of WTT? Meanwhile, Chan did have the extra burden of international travel, but it is unacceptable for him to refer to these challenges? Again, how is that fair??

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Max Aaron did US Nationals (1st), two weeks, 4CCs (4th), two weeks, Worlds (7th), then WTT...and put in full effort performances that were much, much cleaner than Chan's at all of them.
    I like Max Aaron a lot too, but comparing the overall intensity of his season to Chan's does not seem fair either. Chan competed at three GP events before his Nationals; Aaron did not.

The comparison of Chan to Wagner is valid.
    But ... as captain of Team USA, Wagner also noted the difficulty for all WTT skaters of taking on another competition after Worlds. Nothing wrong with what she said, but similar words from Chan were criticized. Why no outcry over her remarks too?

Regarding SOI and other shows:

- According to his father, Chan's training expenses reach six figures per year. What on earth is wrong with Chan earning income (away from the pressure of competition) to cover some of those expenses? (BTW, Wagner and Duhamel/Radford also are in the Canadian SOI cast.)
    The recent Sports Illustrated article about Zawadzki reported that her skating expenses rose to $60,000/year once she became serious about the sport. The article implied that her costs could be even higher now that she a top U.S. senior.

- And with all the lamentation over the decline of figure skating's popularity, what on earth is wrong with a world champion giving fans the excitement of live performances, esp. in his home country? Presumably traveling to competitions is not realistic for many in the SOI audiences.
    Keeping existing fans of figure skating interested and maybe even drawing new fans to the sport are worthy endeavors, IMHO.

Custom Title
    Oh yes now that the season is over I can get to dreaming about Olympic programs. Dear Lord, please grant all the skaters good health and if at all possible give I/K programs worthy of their talent. And for Nikita especially I pray for strength and nerves of steel. Looking forward to the new season!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Alexei Yagudin https://twitter.com/yagudinofficial/...39121452965888

"World Team Trophy! A unique opportunity to become a world champion for those who would never have been able to do that on their own!:-)"
    Yagudin, Averbuck and Zhulin all seem to drink from the same sour cesspool of bitterness and small mindedness. Maybe one day they'll grow up. Or not.

Custom Title
    It had to have been much harder for 27-year-old Takahashi to do an extra competition than 22-year-old Chan. Yet it appears that Takahashi trained for WTT, since he gave good performances in both SP and FS, while Chan stumbled and fell through both SP and FS, falling four times in all.

Even though Takahashi won the men's event, Chan earned more $ than Takahashi because the 2nd place team gets more than the third-placed team.

If Chan is so hard-pressed for money, you'd think he would have welcomed the chance to earn more than $20,000 for 4 days work instead of complaining about it.

For some people, the glass is half-full. But Chan seems to be in the group that complains the glass is half-empty.

Custom Title
    Gracie Gold did all the same competitions as Max, and her WTT FS was the best she's done internationally this season. And Ashley delivered her first clean FS since the GP. And Jeremy Abbott managed to get a new Seasons Best score at WTT. Chock/Bates won the ice dance competition. The US skaters rose to the occasion, which was supposed to be a lighthearted team competition, and that's why they won.

Patrick Chan did not skate well, so he complained that Skate Canada made him do WTT when he would rather be preparing for the Olympics. Right. So that's why he signed up to do SOI starting next week, and after the SOI tour, another tour in China until June. The second place WTT team gets $170,000, which nets Chan at least $20,000. Poor Paddy, being forced to perform for $$. The unfairness of it all!
    I personally think Patrick would be smart to shut up; but he tends to be taken out of context and what he was saying was reiterated by other skaters including Dai. And some of the posters for whatever reason you can tell their "inclinations" for certain teams/skaters or nations - it becomes pretty clear. It is hard to read WTT first the time and second the fun atmosphere. I mean the skaters were goofing around and the award ceremony was a bit more carnival than the coronation - in fac the music and such was really over the top lol. But any skating is good skating. And really people the dislike okay no hatred of some skaters is really showing. I apologize if I seem to "hate" certain skaters. I should be more careful and make it clear ie. i think Mao and Carolina have benefitted from some generous scoring (Chanflation to haters) but they have good skating skills. But Chan h as outstanding skills. And in fact Dai has benefitted from it too, Abbott, Fernadez - all of them with good skating skills have benefitted even if they fall. The Germans in pairs a rea good example I am not sure why we bash Chan so much. Especially since as sound rational beings we are people are really hating the scoring or judging system. That being said, and I am sorry to repeat myself, if we keep bashing skating and the people here like skating I assume unless they are some crazed hockey fan looking to destroy a sport lol we are killing it - we are saying ourselves it shouldn't be taken seriously. If we can't sell skating that who can or should?

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    CoP aside, figure skating is a subjective sport. We're going to have occasional disagreements over the result.

Passionate fans debating the results of a competition will not kill the sport. Having the sport continually ridiculed by the general public after highly controversial scoring outcomes... that's what will kill the sport.

We can't ponder the declining popularity of the sport without factoring in results that seem absurd to the general viewer. There aren't enough of us die-hard purists to support the sport indefinitely... in the US anyway. We need the armchair fan to become engaged and actually watch and attend competitions in their local area.

At this point, I don't care who wins the OGM.

I hope we get a result wherein we can dissect the protocols and agree, and at the same time, first time viewer Bubba can say to his wife Maude, "Wow! That was great! When is this on the TV again?"

I want some kid to become hooked on figure skating like I did when I saw my first Olympics. It's nearly 40 years later, and I'm still chasing the thrill I felt when Dorothy Hamill and John Curry became Olympic champions.

Edit: To correct bad math... it's nearly 40 years since 1976, not 50

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I do not count myself among Chan's most ardent fans, but I do like him -- so I find the anti-Chan double-standard in this thread (and prob. elsewhere on GS) maddening and absurd. Just don't understand why he is targeted as a villain.
    I do think that there is a reason why Patrick, however unfairly, has become a lighting rod for people who don't like the IJS and the programs and results that it produces.

Patrick is the quintessential CoP skater. I don't know why others haven't copied his style -- perhaps they lack the blade to ice skills to do so. Under 6.0 it was straightforward: "stand up on your jumps and look pretty." Now -- well, it's still straightforward: "get in the revolutions on your jumps and keep your feet busy in between." Patrick is the all-time "get in your revolutions and keep your feet busy" champion. If you like "land your jumps and look pretty" better, then naturally Patrick is the number one target for what is wrong with figure skating these days.

A good contrast is Yuna Kim. At worlds, she skated two great 6.0 programs. She landed her jumps and looked pretty. Luckily for her she also collected a bunch of CoP points. No one is complaining that Kim is overscored, Kimflation, results like this are killing the sport, etc.

~high art~
    Yuna also gets in the revolutions and keeps her feet busy.

~high art~
    Mao Asada would make a better "contrast" to PChiddy (she has good amounts of transitions in her programs too, though). She almost never falls, more emphasis on planned content than GOEs, has a very light, soft, beautiful signature style that is loved by a lot of skating fans. Her GPF 2012 free skate would be considered almost clean except the 2S by 6.0 standards. In contrast, she has chronic UR issues, doesn't have the best skating skills resulting in lower PCS compared to her top competitors namely Yuna and Carolina.

I don't see her a being a target unless she doubles every single jump a la NHK Trophy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Passionate fans debating the results of a competition will not kill the sport.
    If it is calm debate, then yes. However, constant negative bickering, bashing, and in some cases hateful posts which are little more than snide remarks will not help. A casual fan who is becoming avid, may turn back if they find these boards and read an abundance of those type of threads. Especially if the skaters being bashed are among their favorites. Casual fans come to these boards to learn from more experienced fans, not endure more negativity in their lives.

There aren't enough of us die-hard purists to support the sport indefinitely... in the US anyway. We need the armchair fan to become engaged and actually watch and attend competitions in their local area.
    Agreed.

I want some kid to become hooked on figure skating like I did when I saw my first Olympics. It's nearly 40 years later, and I'm still chasing the thrill I felt when Dorothy Hamill and John Curry became Olympic champions.
    As I have already said in other threads, the Olympics is the best time to recruit new fans. That is when you will have the nation focused on sports other than Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Soccer. However, they need home grown stars to grab their attention. Someone they can cheer, and want to keep cheering between the Olympics years.

Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Yuna also gets in the revolutions and keeps her feet busy.
    I heard quite a few people accuse her of the contrary during this season--that she had fewer transitions compared to Kaetlyn or Mao. Regardless, her feet are nowhere near as busy as Chan's. And unlike Chan you don't need the protocols to tell you she won the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    ...you don't need the protocols to tell you she won the title.
    That's the point. The confidence and security of her technique, coupled with the grace and elegance of her presentation -- dare I say, 6.0, 6.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    I heard quite a few people accuse her of the contrary during this season--that she had fewer transitions compared to Kaetlyn or Mao. Regardless, her feet are nowhere near as busy as Chan's. And unlike Chan you don't need the protocols to tell you she won the title.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast