Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should the World Team Trophy be held earlier in the season?

Custom Title

Should the World Team Trophy be held earlier in the season?

I think the World Team Trophy should be held earlier in the season as I think its still mostly regarded as an after thought. For the most part, skaters have switched off, albeit subconsciously. I think the right place for it would be just before the start of the senior Grand Prix. Skaters will be starting to get into peak shape, and they will certainly be geared up and motivated for it. Its by no means the perfect solution, but given that the rest of the calendar is full, I don't see where else it could go.

Custom Title
    The start of the season would be good, but I would actually prefer to see this competition in the summer. There is nothing to look forward to in the Summer for skating. The fall is such a long time to wait for the GP season to begin.

A summer event would be pretty hard on the skaters, I think.

IMHO the current timing is OK. It's kind of an afterglow event for Japanese TV and fans, following the big climax, and the skaters can have fun without taking it cut-throat seriously.

Yes, I agree, it is a light-hearted way to end the season. Even though I also agree that it can be a bit problematic in that many skaters have "moved on" from the season, and don't feel "ready" for it. But I don't think it's an event that needs taking in deadly earnest. I know Brian said he hadn't been training properly at all for it last year - I believe he was doing shows? - and was just happy how he did considering. Maybe the skaters should regard it in the light of a... skating party to end the season?

Custom Title
    I'm with the majority here. Skaters have a long enough season! Also, preparing for it before the Grand Prix events might distract the skaters from concentrating on events that really count in terms of their seasonal records and rankings. Not only would that damage the prospects of individual skaters, but for countries with smaller or weaker rosters, it might actually interfere with the national federations' ability to field skaters who can gain spots at worlds.

LRK, I like the idea of seeing it as a skating party to end the season. It's a time for skaters to be on the ice without feeling that their fate hangs by a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    There is nothing to look forward to in the Summer for skating. The fall is such a long time to wait for the GP season to begin.
    But I agree that its current position is the best...

Custom Title
    There are lots of summer competitions in the US and Canada to look forward to. Some (such as Broadmoor) start in June and Liberty is in mid-July. For Pairs aficionados, there is Indy Challenge in July, and for ice dance fans, Lake Placid IDC in late July or early August.

Custom Title
    I like its placing in April. It is a fun & friendly event which I think is great for the skaters to end the season on :-)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    I like its placing in April. It is a fun & friendly event which I think is great for the skaters to end the season on :-)
    Will it still have that fun and friendly tone after it is at the Olympics, though? Once skaters concretely see it as a means to an Olympic medal at any point, it might be taken more seriously. Then the timing does become an issue. I seriously can't see that any federation or skaters will feel like it is just "fun and friendly" in Sochi with those medals on the line.

Custom Title
    I think the timing of the event is poor, especially in a pre-Olympic year. I rather like the idea of it opening up the season, then it becomes a pre-GP warm-up event.

I also think the location should be rotated. It needs more exposure than it can currently get always being in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    I also think the location should be rotated. It needs more exposure than it can currently get always being in Japan.
    Japan is the only country that is willing to put out the money to host it, and Japan is the only country where the event might turn a profit by television and live gate.

Custom Title
    It could be like an invitational or something like that; an optional event especially for the top skaters. So let's say a good team like P/I didn't do well during the grand prix season they could be given an invite to this if the top teams would rather prepare for the following season or begin physiotherapy early..something like that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Japan is the only country that is willing to put out the money to host it, and Japan is the only country where the event might turn a profit by television and live gate.
    So why not just call it the Japan Open? :P

If this is ever supposed to become a truly major ISU competition with global appeal, it should be rotated among host countries like Worlds, Euros/4CCs, and the GPF. Right now it feels like a cheesefest with automatic home advantage for the Japanese skaters, which would be fine in itself, but it actually has the stamp of approval from the ISU.

Custom Title
    If I am understanding the scoring system correctly, this event appears to be biased in favour of countries which have strength and depth in their Ladies and/or Mens single skaters. Two men and two women from a strong singles country can quickly rack-up a lot of double digit points between the Short and Long programs. Since only one Ice Dance and Pairs team is permitted to attend, they don't have significant effect on the final outcome by comparison. It is easy to see why Scott Moir is not particularly enamoured with WTT, since it puts little value on the "couples" disciplines. I wonder how many top Ice Dance or Pair teams would bother attending if they were not forced by the ISU rules. I doubt other countries would be interested in spending money to host this event, unless the scoring system was more equitable.

Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    If I am understanding the scoring system correctly, this event appears to be biased in favour of countries which have strength and depth in their Ladies and/or Mens single skaters. Two men and two women from a strong singles country can quickly rack-up a lot of double digit points between the Short and Long programs. Since only one Ice Dance and Pairs team is permitted to attend, they don't have significant effect on the final outcome by comparison. It is easy to see why Scott Moir is not particularly enamoured with WTT, since it puts little value on the "couples" disciplines. I wonder how many top Ice Dance or Pair teams would bother attending if they were not forced by the ISU rules. I doubt other countries would be interested in spending money to host this event, unless the scoring system was more equitable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast