Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Akiko Suzuki: WTT redemption

WTT is an official event by the ISU and is a "serious" event. It is the 6 best performing countries at Worlds all fighting for the much coveted World team trophy. Each output is crucial to win the event. Akiko delivered with the most command that I've seen from her. So much speed. Her musicality, dynamism, energy, lyricism and interpretation was out of this world. So underrated but is so deserving of success. I am proud of her with her PB Total score and FS score.

She is truly a very special skater. In the few years I have followed her skating, I have truly fallen in love with this girl. She will forever be a champion in my heart and she will have a spot in my all-time favourite skaters like Michelle Kwan, Yu-Na Kim, Kristi Yamaguchi, Chen Lu, Yuka Sato, Miki Ando and Mao Asada. Had she skated like this at Worlds, she would have won silver. Simply phenomenal! She is her own superstar. Amidst the other super skaters like Yu-Na, Mao and Carolina, I hope she would trust the voice within and fullfil her destiny.

What a great season for Akiko all in all.
    Masterpieces for the SP for 4CC and WTT. Super free skates from NHK Trophy , Skate Canada and WTT!
    Silver medal from 4CC, GPF bronze medalist, WTT bronze medalist, gold for ladies, 2nd in Skate Canada and NHK Trophy!

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    *sigh* She so has my heart

Banned
    It would be nice if she could the bronze at the Olympics (anything higher is probably unrealistic) than win gold at her final Worlds at home when some of the big guns likely dont enter. That would be a dream final season for her and realistic if she skates her best.

At 4CC, she gave me the "feeling of flight" chills that no other skater has given me since Michelle Kwan left. She's done it again here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3PEs2jsYs&t=4m30s

Go Akiko! I hope you end your season and career strong in the year of Sochi!

Custom Title
    I agree, that skate gave me goosebumps. Slight errors on some of the landings, but who cares... she had more speed and abandon than all season. Surely this has to keep her at the top of the JSF's list. Had she performed like this at Worlds for sure she would have been top 5. Hope she can take this going into next season and really become a medal contender for Sochi. If Kostner/Asada make errors she could be one of the few to sneak ahead of them.

Banned
    She was robbed of winning both her grand prix events. Which is a shame as she is an older skater at the end of her career, as she has a limited # of international wins, so those would have been big for her. It was a terrible thing to do to her, but the judging in singles especialy is reaching a new all time low. It was great to see her skate so well at the WTT however.

Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    What a great season for Akiko all in all.
    Masterpieces for the SP for 4CC and WTT. Super free skates from NHK Trophy , Skate Canada and WTT!
    Silver medal from 4CC, GPF bronze medalist, WTT bronze medalist, gold for ladies, 2nd in Skate Canada and NHK Trophy!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    *sigh* She so has my heart

Akiko is the best Japanese woman. I think she's been so unsung due to Mao love-i love Mao but Akiko is amazing. I wish her a medal in Sochi.

I love Akiko so much. She is so effervescent on the ice. She skates from her heart and soul and it is just so beautiful. I am happy that for WTT, she skated 2 solid programs. Akiko is just the ballerina on ice.

I also love the beautiful quality of Mao! She has become a glorious artiste on the ice as well.

I love that the Japanese girls are close and are like true friends. Steely competitors but great people!

I do hope Akiko could skate to a really powerful piece for her short and go for beautiful classical concerto or piano concerto for the free skate. She is the supreme artist on ice for me along with Carolina, Yu-Na and Mao!

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    At 4CC, she gave me the "feeling of flight" chills that no other skater has given me since Michelle Kwan left. She's done it again here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3PEs2jsYs&t=4m30s

Go Akiko! I hope you end your season and career strong in the year of Sochi!
    Her free skate was the Michelle Kwan moment of the season, along with Ashley Wagner is Skate America and Yu-Na Kim at Worlds

Custom Title
    I don't think this competition can be seen as redemptive even though she skated very well . But maybe she learned something about peaking at the opportune time.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I don't think this competition can be seen as redemptive even though she skated very well . But maybe she learned something about peaking at the opportune time.
    There were so many events for this season for all the skaters. It's so easy for all of them to peak early. Ashley, Mao and Akiko actually were consistent but peaked too early.

I really put Michelle Kwan on the pedestal in terms of skating. I am not ashamed to say that for me the true heir of Michelle in terms of passion, joy and musicality on ice is Akiko Suzuki.

I wish she also had the mental strength and consistency of Michelle and she would be perfect. Nonetheless, she is one of the best skaters of all-time for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast