Jumps with creative (uncommon) entrances and/or exits | Golden Skate

Jumps with creative (uncommon) entrances and/or exits

aftertherain

Record Breaker
There has been a bit of buzz this season with people discussing what should net a +GOE on jumps or why skaters have received such high GOE for their jumps (other than height, distance, or speed) when it seems like there is nothing "spectacular" or "extraordinary" about them. And to be honest, I was wondering myself until a few very observant and knowledgeable posters pointed out that it was the way skaters set up or exited jumps that made them difficult.

So I decided to compile a list (off the top of my head!) about all the uncommon/difficult entrances or exits of jumps. This is what I came up with:

What do you think about the traditional entrances and exits to a jump with a held flowing edge, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk&t=0m50s (Yeah, you knew I was going to use an MK example.)

Personally, I like creative exits more than I do creative entrances, but I like both when timed well to the music. What about you guys? Do you think creative entrances are more important or creative exits? And what are examples of some of your favorites?

ETA: Yes, I know Yuna's got more from her 2010 Olympics LP! ;) But those two were the ones I liked best.

ETA #2: Also, does anyone know of any with a 2A/3A with absolutely no indication that the skater is going to do an axel jump? I know I saw some on the forum once, but I can't remember who did those.

Great topic!

Off the top of my head, I can recall instances where Kurt Browning seemed to launch into a jump out of nowhere. Maybe he's one of the "where'd he get that axel?" people you're thinking of.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Thanks, Krislite and Olympia, but I'm thinking of a male skater from an older era (possibly around Kurt's era) who who skate fowards and then do an axel without the backwards/sideways to forwards entrance. Midori's and Yuzuru's were wonderful though!

Krislite

Medalist
Jumps without steps, choreography or moves-in-the-field can be fantastic and beautiful in their own right when it highlights the speed and flow of the skater going into and out of the jumps. Hence why Carolina and Yuna can get very high GOE with little transitions into some of their jumps. (Besides, creative entry and exits are only a few of the bullet points that count for positive GOE.)

The thing about creative entries is that they get abused these days for purely point-grabbing. And programs without them are belittled for being "empty" despite their elegant simplicity. I think a program can be too jam-packed with transitions and creative entries/exits, making it look too frenetic or frenzied. (Osmond's programs in my opinion are borderline in this area.)

I agree with Krislite about unusual entrances. The other thing about fancy entrances to jumps is that they make you fall.

Flowing exit edges, on the other hand, say, "See this edge? The reason I can do this at the end is because the jump was perfect!"

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Thanks, Krislite and Olympia, but I'm thinking of a male skater from an older era (possibly around Kurt's era) who who skate fowards and then do an axel without the backwards/sideways to forwards entrance. Midori's and Yuzuru's were wonderful though!

It wasn't Petrenko, was it? Or Savodcik?

gkelly

Record Breaker
[*]Irina Slutskaya - 2006 Olympics - Loop-like set-up to one-foot(?) entrance to 2A, exit into spiral
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdEPk0eM0Ak&t=2m12s

I would say it's the "one-foot entrance" (back inside three turn) that makes this entry difficult. The "loop-like set-up" just makes it surprising/a bit of a fakeout but probably mitigates the difficulty of the back three turn entry.

ETA #2: Also, does anyone know of any with a 2A/3A with absolutely no indication that the skater is going to do an axel jump? I know I saw some on the forum once, but I can't remember who did those.

Were you thinking of this example by Gary Beacom?

BTW, I'm especially impressed by this double axel entrance from Slutskaya right out of the spiral sequence, with back inside three (other foot) at speed holding the forward spiral afterward and then changing foot right up into the axel.

We discussed difficult entries and exits (among other topics) in this thread:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?39762-Osmond-vs-Kim-in-PCS-a-huge-gap

I know we've discussed in other threads as well, but I think some of them might be gone from the forum -- I can't find them by searching.
When I have a chance I'll try to add more examples of difficult entries and/or exits that stuck in my mind.

Bartek

On the Ice
Yes, Yuzuru's 3A brilliant.:agree:

This Yuzuru's triple axel is a work of art in terms of quality/difficulty/CoP. Crazily difficult entrance, huge height and holding the flowing edge into this leg lift. So we have both difficult entry and exit and the jump itself is spectacular, those additional difficulties notwithwstanding. This is when a jump deserves +3, perfection.

Ashley's 3Lo from the first post has also creative exit apart from spread eagle entry. After the landing she does a turn what shows control over the edge and then some body movements. It's like: spread eagle, jump and right into the choreography of the program.

Yu-Na Kim and Joannie Rochette overused the turn on the exit in 2009-2010 putting almost after every jump but it did secure them that additional bullet for GOE so why not.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you're going to include Jason Brown then you have to include his Y-spiral into the solo 3Lz in his Liebestraume FS.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason always has interesting footwork going into his jumps. You never really ever see him telegraph his jumps or see them coming. For that i think you have to thank Rohene ward his choreographer.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FlattFan doesn't have anything good to say about any skater it seems. Maybe he's bitter that his namesake is done and forgotten. :laugh: