Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1964, 1980

On the Ice

1964, 1980

I know this is 3rd Dortmund Worlds and could get
    past 2 Dortmund Worlds placement on net.

But I don't know almost any details.

Can anyone tells about 1964 and 1980 Worlds here?
    (For example: Did all top ladies have 2Ax in 1964?)

I doubt highly in 64 that the 2 axel was a requirement... but then again I could be completely wrong LOL

1980... Scott Hamilton went to worlds LOL that's about all I know

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    1980:
    Cousins was said to have placed badly in figures to lose to Hoffman whom he had narrowly beaten a month earlier at Olys.
    Frattianne apparently made mistakes.
    Cherkosova&Shakrai supposidly only won because Rodina&Zeitsev and Tai&Randy were not there.
    Petra Burke was the first lady to land a triple, a Salchow, but I don't know if it was at this event. Dijkstra was suppose to be a powerful jumper, so she probably did a 2axel or 2.

Sorry I don't know much

+ Medalist +
    1980 - I know that Robin Cousins had a better LP at Worlds than he did at the Olympics. Landed a clean 3-loop that he had a bobble on at the Olympics.

1964 - I would imagine some ladies had double axels (Carol Heiss did years earlier and Fleming did in '68) but I don't know anything for sure.

On the Ice
    Thank you for replying!

I heard the stories that "strong free skater couldn't
    win competition because of figures" like Janet Lynn.
    I thought they needed strong figures plus decent free to win.
    So I didn't expect 1964 Olympics and 3 time Worlds(1962, 1963,
    1964) champion Sjoukje Dijkstra was "powerful jumper".

I found 1964 Olympics and Worlds men champion Manfred Schnelldorfer
    was called "Mr double axel".
    And apparently he and siver medalist Alain Calmat didn't
    attempt triples at Olympics(I couldn't find about Worlds).
    Was he last men champion who didn't have any triples?

Jan Hoffmann was 1974 and 1980 Worlds champion.
    Was he 2nd skaters to land 3Lutz in competiton?
    Was he in judge panel at 1994 Olypmics ladies and
    gave 1st ordinal to Baiul?

I heard Emi Watanebe did better performance than
    1979 although she couldn't keep her bronze medal.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by miki_tan

Jan Hoffmann was 1974 and 1980 Worlds champion.
    Was he in judge panel at 1994 Olypmics ladies and
    gave 1st ordinal to Baiul?
    Hi miki_tan,

To answer your question ~ yes, he was the one that gave Oksana Baiul a 1st place ordinal........right decision IMHO........b/c, to me, Oksana remains the most naturally "musical" skater of all-time, not just the Olympics. JMHO.

Peace & Love, Nadine

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc

hoffmann

Originally posted by Nadine
    Hi miki_tan,

To answer your question ~ yes, he was the one that gave Oksana Baiul a 1st place ordinal........right decision IMHO........b/c, to me, Oksana remains the most naturally "musical" skater of all-time, not just the Olympics. JMHO.

Peace & Love, Nadine
    Jan Hoffman went to his first worlds at the age of twelve!

He isn't just vote for baiul because she was formerly soviet; he really believed in artistry. he voted for kwan over lipinski four years later, in 1998.

Question

Originally posted by miki_tan
    I heard Emi Watanebe did better performance than
    1979 although she couldn't keep her bronze medal.
    What do you mean "couldn't keep her bronze medal?" Why couldn't she keep it?

We are talking about two Olys but the Hoffman thing comes up again.

he did give the nod to Baiul based on her cuteness and that's ok. It is a subjective sport and if little girls turn him on so be it. She double fotted every jump in that LP and continues to do the same today. This is not a put down of Oksana. It is fact. When will she land a perfect jump? I like her very much and I would love to see the perfect jump.

Joe

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz

he did give the nod to Baiul based on her cuteness and that's ok. It is a subjective sport and if little girls turn him on so be it. She double fotted every jump in that LP and continues to do the same today. This is not a put down of Oksana. It is fact. When will she land a perfect jump? I like her very much and I would love to see the perfect jump.
    Joe/Joesitz :D

Neener, neener, neener (lol) .........your aforementioned post is a contradiction...........first you say one thing, then you say something else. But I like you, even if you make me mad sometimes, so I don't really mind too much Richard .

Peace & Love (of course), Nadine

P.S. Don't mind me, I'm in a silly mood tonight. (:^DDDD

On the Ice
    Originally posted by RealtorGal
    What do you mean "couldn't keep her bronze medal?" Why couldn't she keep it?
    I don't know how actually the competition went on.
    Anyway she finished 4th.
    Gold and Silver medalist was German.
    Bronze madalist was American.

----

I guess they were first generation ladies skaters when triple jumps was reqired.
    Last edited by miki_tan; 02-05-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Custom Title
    Wow just found this thread and wanted to air my 2 cents - love these trips through history.

1964 Sjoukje Dijkstra did have double axel aswell as then 15 year old Peggy Fleming and I'm sure Petra Burka did too. I think it was the new thing for the top ladies after Carol Heiss became the first to land it IIRC

I never saw Manfred Schnelldorfer but my Mum remembered him and said he had massive jumps.

Miki_tan in 1980 Emi Watanabe had what I believe was the skate of her life. When I watched the tape recently I couldn't believe she didn't get a medal. She did lovely double axels and I think about 3 triples - I'd have to check though. Anett Poetszch was horrible, Dagmar Lurz infornt of a home crowd skated brilliantly for her and got silver and Fratianne who I don't recall doing anything different to the Olympics came 3rd. Frank must have watched the ladies this year and got feelings of deja vu even though he doesn't coach MK anymore!

Mens was Robin messes up the figures again and he fell on footwork in his sp, but he had the skate of his life in the LP wiping the floor with everyone and climbing up to get the silver. Jan was as consistently zzzzzzzzzzzzz as ever and Charlie Tickner was much better than in Lake Placid but still got bronze.

The best thing about these Worlds though was the debut of so many future stars. Witt, Zayak etc but they were all eclipsed by a media whirlwind surrounding Tracy Wainman - the Tara of her day who made a big splash but unfortunately never skated as well again once she started to grow:(

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Thanks for the info and memories.

The 2004 program quite naturally had a few trips down memory lane.

Marika Kilius and Hans Baumler talk alot about retaining their world title after losing the Oly gold to the Protopopovs.

Hoffmann, Cousins and Lurz talk about their experiences and Schnelldorfer gives an interesting talk about his freindship with Alain Calmat.

Unfortunately, the program is IMHO very poorly done, and interviews with Kat Witt and Anett Potzsch were not translated into English.

Interesting to note: Arakawa is the only medalist not mentioned anywhere in the entire program, not even in the tiny blubs regarding "other favorites".

Originally posted by Nadine
    Joe/Joesitz :D

Neener, neener, neener (lol) .........your aforementioned post is a contradiction...........first you say one thing, then you say something else. But I like you, even if you make me mad sometimes, so I don't really mind too much Richard .
    . (:^DDDD
    Prissy, prissy, prissy - Just where did I contradict myself. You can't have a neener neener without and explanation.
    First you say one thing and then you hold back.

Joe

And by all means, Peace.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 04-15-2004 at 07:44 AM.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    Jeez - seems like recently every time I reply to a post that I really disagree with, it was written by you

If Hoffman went for Oksana because of her artistry, that doesn't mean it was because of her "cuteness" - Oksana is one of the most artistic and charismatic skaters there's ever been (IMO), and certainly compared to Nancy (who I would probably have given the gold to) it stood out a mile.
    Oksana did NOT 2foot every jump in the LP though at all! She double footed the flip, and possibly had a slight touchdown on the toe - I can't remember. The rest were perfectly clean though. Maybe you need to check your tape...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast