**Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular - On NOW!! | Golden Skate

**Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular - On NOW!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular - NBC 4:00 Central Time.

Missed the first hour but am enjoying the second one.

Great fun to see Gracie Gold. She is charming and seems to have a lot of musicality.

And Alissa is going to skate! Yippee!

The gymnasts look splendid, both ladies and men. Great to see them have a moment in the spotlight. This is the way to attract fans! I am so happy to see Nastia. She should dance on Dancing with the Stars, don't you think?

Aly Raisman talks in one continuous sentence on the ads. Maybe she just doesn't need to stop for breath. She looks great in performance, though.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabby Douglas is so much more graceful than Aly Raisman.

Ashley W. just skated and is looking great.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Aly's unpointed feet bother me. But she seems like a charming person.

Then again, you don't get to be a two-time OGM just by being charming.

Gabby Douglas is so much more graceful than Aly Raisman.

Ashley W. just skated and is looking great.

I was more impressed with Gabby's grace than with Aly's. Aly seems more like a power gymnast, very explosive. Gabby has a dancelike quality, and she radiates charisma. It isn't just that million-watt smile; she has such an expressive face as well, whereas Aly is more serious and reserved.

And Alissa skated and did spins! How splendid she looks.

I loved seeing Meryl and Charlie, too. I wish they skated on TV every week.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Darn I missed it. I would have loved to have seen Alissa!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(1) LOL, first time I have seen/heard Mama Shibutani. Maia and Alex are so mature beyond their years and they rely so much on each other that it's easy for me to forget that their parents surely deserve a lot of credit for their success too.

(2) I cannot say that I saw the entire show -- but based on the parts that I did catch, I am wondering who the heck wrote the intros to the skaters.

Possible that I missed something, but Shib[SUP]2[/SUP] seemed to be billed only as junior national champions.
I did not hear any mention of their senior-level accomplishments: world bronze, GP gold/silver/bronze, U.S. silver/bronze, etc.
[ETA, minor correction: at the time of the Disson show taping (Dec 2012), they had not won U.S. bronze (2013) yet. Their U.S. senior record at that point was two silvers (2011 and 2012). But my point remains the same.]​

As far as I know, Davis/White also were "undersold" as ("only") national champions, as if their world gold/silver and Olympic silver were of no significance.

KKonas

Medalist
(1) LOL, first time I have seen/heard Mama Shibutani. Maia and Alex are so mature beyond their years and they rely so much on each other that it's easy for me to forget that their parents surely deserve a lot of credit for their success too.

(2) I cannot say that I saw the entire show -- but based on the parts that I did catch, I am wondering who the heck wrote the intros to the skaters.

Possible that I missed something, but Shib[SUP]2[/SUP] seemed to be billed only as junior national champions.
I did not hear any mention of their senior-level accomplishments: world bronze, GP gold/silver/bronze, U.S. silver/bronze, etc.

As far as I know, Davis/White also were "undersold" as simply national champions, as if their world gold/silver and Olympic silver were of no significance.

Yes, it was strange that Disson apparently didn't have someone with actual current skating knowledge wrtie the intros. The gymnastics duo keep up with the sport and mentioned the Olympic/World accomplishments of their team. I worked with Peggy Fleming. She knows zip about dance so she was no help there.

Now that you mention it, KKonas, I realize that Peggy hasn't had much to say about dance, especially lately, when they get people like Tracy Wilson and Susie Wynne to analyze that discipline.

Nonetheless, Peggy is responsible for one of the best quotes about a dance performance: at the 1984 Olympics, when Torvill and Dean finished with Bolero and got all sixes, Peggy said spontaneously, "We are so lucky to be here tonight!" Not specific, but certainly descriptive of what we had all just witnessed. As the years have passed, so thatnmany current skate fans are way to young to have watched that first telecast of the performance, I've felt luckier and luckier that I was "there," or at least "then," having been six thousand miles and half a dozen time zones away from the actual event.