just heard boston marathon bombed? | Golden Skate

just heard boston marathon bombed?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am just getting tv dinner. u guys know i'm reeling and the pca mayhem is killing my faith...which was once hopefilled. i'm filling very ill when sugar drops and I will not turn on TV to see horrible stuff. pca told me before she left. I don't want to see carnage so just asking summary of what we know...who, when, where-who is suspected mastermind-damages. This is not far from me. I wonder if the Red Sox should cancel friday game...Any Boston gsers here? ty.:confused::cry:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not in Boston, but knew several people running in the race.

All are accounted for, thankfully.

One of those people was the older sister of a friend of mine. She was actually running quite well, but it appears she hit the typical marathon wall around mile 22 and was running slower. She was actually a 1/2 mile from the finish line when the explosion hit. It made me wonder, if she was running as fast as she did at the beginning of the race, would she have been in harm's way? Thankfully, however, she was not.

My other friend, who is running his third Boston marathon, was running slower than usual due to injuries that kept him from training as much as he would like. But for him "long-run pace" was 7:25 per mile, so he was already done about an hour ago when everything happened.

It's just dreadful. I'm not in Boston, but several co-workers have kin there, and a few were at the race. All are accounted for. But at this moment there are no strangers at that site; everyone's suffering is equally devastating to hear about. I understand the temptation to give up completely, and believe me, I felt it today, but this can't be the time to fold. Some awful person or group did this. Do we really want that entity to speak for the human race?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's just dreadful. I'm not in Boston, but several co-workers have kin there, and a few were at the race. All are accounted for. But at this moment there are no strangers at that site; everyone's suffering is equally devastating to hear about. I understand the temptation to give up completely, and believe me, I felt it today, but this can't be the time to fold. Some awful person or group did this. Do we really want that entity to speak for the human race?

I totally agree, Olympia! I was watching the live feed this morning before work and I just loved how locals came out and cheered for everyone regardless who they were or where they were from. This is one of the oldest and greatest races in the USA.

I am far from every qualifying for the marathon, but I found myself for a moment wondering "Would I want to go if I did qualify?" And the answer is yes. Because this is a great event, organized by great people in a great town and one stupid incident should not bog things down.

heyang

Record Breaker
After hearing the news, the 1st thing I did was text my cousin who lives in Boston. I had no idea if she lives or works near the finish line. Fortunately, she was safe at work. Her home is in Cambridge which isn't the same neighborhood as the finish line.

I've been a volunteer at the NYC marathon years ago - before 9/11. The runners really enjoy the support of the volunteers and I can only imagine how badly the runners must've felt. Based upon the news, I believe it was mostly bystanders and volunteers who were more severely injured. Our local news had some bomb experts analyze pictures of the explosion - just based upon the amateur videos, the local experts felt that they were simple pipe bombs. They could've been a lot worse if the explosives had been more powerful or if the devices had been loaded with shrapnel like IED's. I have no doubt that surveillance video is being pored over meticulously by the investigators. Due to the nature of the event, there will be a lot of filming, etc.

One thing I love about this country is that most people refuse to stop living their lives when terrorists strike. the NYC area is on high alert and the Nets game is the only sporting event tonight. People went and said that no terrorist is going to stop them from enjoying their lives as long as they last.

I admit that one of my second thoughts about this tragedy was what we shouldn't do anymore, especially when taking the nieces and nephew into NYC. i.e. Maybe we shouldn't go to Rockefeller Center to see the tree on a Saturday. We shouldn't go to American girl or Toys'r'us on Saturday's. All those places are packed, especially on holiday season weekends - if something were to happen, people would get trampled or mashed into walls..... Then I thought about what we would miss by not going since odds are against something 'bad' happening.

The best thing we can do is live our lives, but be alert while doing so.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
. The best thing we can do is live our lives, but be alert while doing so.....
Yes, absolutly true. Whether it is terrorism, mother nature or an accident, go out there and live your life in spite of it. I was at Reno when 11 people died due to a mechanical failure of a race plane....there was never any doubt I would go back. I am going to Boston for Nats and I wont think twice about this act of terrorism. 9 people died today and many more were injured because people cant keep their hands off their cell phones when they are driving....I will still be out there driving....being alert as you said is important. You wouldnt frequent gang infested areas after dark if you had other options. And if you practice, you can tell when other drivers aren't doing their jobs and you can try and stay away from them....but you cant avoid every risk in life for sure...but if you give in and stay home, the bad guys win....here's to the good guys that helped others during this terrible act...and here's wishing the authorities good luck in disecting that fourth bomb they found(according to the evening news) and maybe finding out who built it. (I think the third one was blown up without incident if I understood the talking head tonight)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
i read cnn and there was no group taking eponsibility. anything changed. so many in juries,

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, absolutely true. Whether it is terrorism, mother nature or an accident, go out there and live your life in spite of it. I was at Reno when 11 people died due to a mechanical failure of a race plane....there was never any doubt I would go back. I am going to Boston for Nats and I wont think twice about this act of terrorism. 9 people died today and many more were injured because people cant keep their hands off their cell phones when they are driving....I will still be out there driving....being alert as you said is important. You wouldn't frequent gang infested areas after dark if you had other options. And if you practice, you can tell when other drivers aren't doing their jobs and you can try and stay away from them....but you cant avoid every risk in life for sure...but if you give in and stay home, the bad guys win....here's to the good guys that helped others during this terrible act...and here's wishing the authorities good luck in dissecting that fourth bomb they found(according to the evening news) and maybe finding out who built it. (I think the third one was blown up without incident if I understood the talking head tonight)

:agree:

My thoughts & prayers with all of Boston. May the perpetrator(s?) be caught & brought to justice.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This Boston Marathan was dedicated to the victims of the Newton, CT, Sandy Hook massacre, and a lot of the families were sitting in the viewing stand very close to where at least one of the bombs went off.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nati...hon-Honored-Sandy-Hook-Victims-203108301.html

The runners from the Newton Strong team are OK.

http://rt.com/usa/newtown-families-boston-marathon-unharmed-917/

It appears none of the family members in the viewing stand were hurt.

Although one's thoughts immediately spring to Islamist terrorists, given the fact that the bombs were small and there was no chatter before the race, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is a deal like the Oklahoma City bombing, some homegrown terrorists-perhaps somebody angry at the Newton families for crusading for gun control.

Yes, we always have to look in at least two directions in terms of an event like this.

The thing to remember right now is that whoever did this will be found. Will be found, sooner rather than later.

jcoates

Medalist
Two of my friends work on or near the block where the bombing happened. They're brothers-in-law and their wives are identical twins who are nurses. Fortunately all are safe and not directly effected. One of those friends works in the building where the bombing took place. Thankfully he was off for the day. His brother-in-law was at work though and like everyone else, took hours to get home. On the flip side,his wife was at home while her sister was working at the hospital. An odd bit of symmetry. Lastly, my friend who was working downtown had a very similar thing happen to him in DC on 9/11 in 2001 when we were roommates. He worked 2 blocks from the White House and had to be evacuated then as well. He's a very lucky man.

heyang

Record Breaker
So far, I haven't heard of any official source saying that there were more than 2 bombs. There were definitely unofficial reports of other bombs found. However, other sources say that the bomb squad may have acted cautiously by exploding anything they found although much of it was likely bags that people dropped or left behind as they were fleeing. Same is true of the debris that had to be removed from people's bodies - it has not been confirmed that they were from the actual bomb - the debris could have been from the immediate vicinity (i.e. if bomb was in a trash can, the projectiles may have been from the garbage, not the bomb itself. Forensics will be gathering all the materials possible, including from the hospital OR's, to find any traces that may assist in identifying the terrorists.

a Yahoo article cited 4 possibilities: Extreme Islamists - but unlikely because it was too 'small' for them. Domestic terrorist groups a la Tim McVeigh and other fanatics. The Government - because there was a rumor that said people were told to calm down after the 1st bomb and to turn off their cellphones and cameras - all of these rumors disproved. Lone Nut Job.

Anyway, so far, no announcements.

My sympathies to the families and survivors....

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I found out why my niece and her family were not at the Marathon-she fell a week ago, and didn't feel up to it; a blessing in disguise.

I'm relieved to hear of all the relatives who are all right.

I've been thinking of Longfellow's poem, Paul Revere's Ride. I don't know whether any of you has read it recently. It's especially meaningful this week (and yesterday happens to have been the eighteenth of April). Here is the last stanza. See if it gives you the same feeling of strength it gives me.

So through the night rode Paul Revere;
And so through the night went his cry of alarm
To every Middlesex village and farm,---
A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door,
And a word that shall echo for evermore!
For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
Through all our history, to the last,
In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
The people will waken and listen to hear
The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
And the midnight message of Paul Revere.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, it's over-or is it? There seems to be no history other than a few jihadist videos of the elder brother on his pc-of terrorist groups. People seemed to like the younger brother. I hope the story comes out-the truth. Imagine the father in Russia feeling this could not be his sons. They seemed to be pursuing goals-one a citizen, married father, one a smart, handsome kid wanting to be a doctor. Who "radicalized" them? So few answers. Amazing to see a city of 1 million on lock down. Sad for all those harmed and sad for two young men who seemed to have futures here with work. I am confused. Was terror their aim? They must be connected to some group. Something odd about this-not enough official video yet.