US Adult National Championships - Elite Skater Sightings (Coaching) | Golden Skate

US Adult National Championships - Elite Skater Sightings (Coaching)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Last week was the US Adult National Championships in Scottsdale, AZ and a LOT of former and current Elite American skaters were caught around the week with their adult student skaters:
Charlie Tickner, 1980 Olympic Bronze Medalist (has been a fixture at Adult Nationals for a long time and brings a HUGE contingent every year). One of the nicest people you'll ever meet
Doug Razzano (5th US Nationals, Men's, 2011)
Todd Gilles (ice dance)
Elena Valova, 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist (she was coaching a pairs team from Pittsburg)
and...........
Adam Rippon (who is growing the curls back out)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I got the impression from Twitter that Razzano and Rippon were recruited to attend the event as some sort of reps/ambassadors for US Figure Skating.

Have they also been juggling coaching with their competitive careers?

Either way, all credit to them for showing up to support the event as a whole and/or their own students. I've always thought that both seem like nice guys.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Razzano skates out of Coyotes FSC (host club), and I DID definitely see him putting skaters on the ice and he had a CER-A badge all week.

Rippon seemed to be there as support but got recruited as a "coach" and was asked to show up next year and coach

ice coverage

Record Breaker
mskater, thanks for the additional scoop. :)

And as I said before, great that these guys are involved with adult skating. :bow:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think they were surprised by the quality of the skating and the vibe and feel of Adult Nationals (which is totally different than standard track). ;)